wedding readings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wedding readings

I need ideas for readings out our wedding. I'd really like something from a book rather than a poem or speech. I've got a couple ideas, but they're only a couple sentences and I'd like something longer.

I was looking for something from the Kushiel books but.. that's a lot of reading to sort through to find a section I really like... can't have the pastor reading the whole series.. wouldn't work.

Any ideas?
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Re: wedding readings

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
    I need ideas for readings out our wedding. I'd really like something from a book rather than a poem or speech. I've got a couple ideas, but they're only a couple sentences and I'd like something longer.

I was looking for something from the Kushiel books but..

Any ideas?
    A girl after me own heart!

Have you read the entire series? I think the scene from the second series where Imri gives Sidonie the knot ring and they talk about 'always and always' ...that could be a good one to read, though I unfortunately can't remember WHICH book it's in. I'd be happy to take a look when I get home next week

Or one of the many, many parts where Phedre talks about "love as thou wilt", or even the blurb about how Elua came to love all his creatures. Ugh, I've read them twice, I can't remember where any of these parts are though!

Also a suggestion, try PM'ing Raphaeline, I think she's the only person on the forum who's read them more than I have.

Hope it helps!

Mostly art.

Comment

I read the entire series for the first time last summer... and am currently working my way through the first six books for the third or fourth time... I have literally been reading them constantly in between other books. Wasn't as interested in the Namaah books though they were still very good.

I was thinking of these:

I remember the syllables of the Sacred Name, each one tolling in my head like a bell. I didn't remember what they were. I couldn't speak them, any more than I could give voice to the sun or the moon or the earth. But I had been there. I had heard them. I knew the shape of the word they formed and the word was love.
      --Jacqueline Carey, Kushiel's Scion

“We are all these things [...]. Pride, desire, compassion, cleverness, belligerence, fruitfulness, loyalty...and guilt. But above it all stands love. And if we desire to be more than human, that is the star by which we must set our sights. ” ― Jacqueline Carey, Kushiel's Avatar
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.

Comment

I loved all those books! (even the Namaah books but I agree not as much as the first six.)

I really like the second quote for a wedding; it seems particularly appropriate where as the first is lovely but the context being the name of god doesn’t really fit in a wedding between two people.
        I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are;
        because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.
        I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far;
        for a might have-been has never been,
        but a has was once an are.

-Milton Berle-

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
          I read the entire series for the first time last summer... and am currently working my way through the first six books for the third or fourth time... I have literally been reading them constantly in between other books. Wasn't as interested in the Namaah books though they were still very good.

I was thinking of these:

I remember the syllables of the Sacred Name, each one tolling in my head like a bell. I didn't remember what they were. I couldn't speak them, any more than I could give voice to the sun or the moon or the earth. But I had been there. I had heard them. I knew the shape of the word they formed and the word was love.
          --Jacqueline Carey, Kushiel's Scion

“We are all these things [...]. Pride, desire, compassion, cleverness, belligerence, fruitfulness, loyalty...and guilt. But above it all stands love. And if we desire to be more than human, that is the star by which we must set our sights. ” ― Jacqueline Carey, Kushiel's Avatar
          I think they both work well. Also...

*points to siggy*

Mostly art.

Comment

[EDIT: Just to ask, however... are you looking for something to discuss your pagan beliefs, rather than to speak towards two people starting a committed life together? It's fine if you are, no criticism intended or (hopefully) implied (if so, it's unintentional, but people often say I sound critical when I'm not being). Just want to know WHAT you're looking for, versus what the expectation is for what you're probably looking for.]

A few thoughts (although the first breaks the 'no poems' requirement):

Desiderata
            Last edited by SPhoenix; 17 Apr 2013, 08:15.

Comment

Shawn: I like the first verse because in saying that the name of god is love, we conceive the universe being love. If all is love, then we only have to acknowledge and contemplate that to have a content life, if not a very happy one.

Pheonix: I really like these, especially 79th verse, but I'm not sure I'd want that read out our wedding, I think it could be construed wrong by some of our family.

I'm looking for something pagan related, but not too obvious. The majority of our family isn't aware of our beliefs. And something that talks about love.

Comment

As a pagan marrying a Christian we had two readings, one pagan that I kinda made up, and one from the bible about 3 chords becoming one (for our handfasting). I could get a hold of them if you like.
                ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                Seen the desert and the birds
                You cut your hair short
                Like a shush to an insult
                The world had been yelling
                Since the day you were born
                Revolting with anger
                While it smiled like it was cute
                That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Our wedding was actually last week and it went very well. We ended up using a reading provided by the church (they're UU so it wasn't particularly religious) and it went over pretty well... It was a beautiful ceremony. And actually, this is one of the few places I haven't changed my name yet.. must remember to do that (can I do that?).

Comment

Ah yay! Congratulations!
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment