Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's in your garden this year?

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

What's in your garden this year?

A comment I just made in the frugalism thread made me think to start this one. What's in your garden this year? (or patio planter, or windowsill)

Already included in my yard when I moved here is:
    - rhubarb
    - a crab apple tree
    - strawberries

I'm planting:
    - peas, tomatoes, forget-me-nots, heliotrope, catnip, basil, dill, comfrey, valerian, cayenne, okra, mugwort, woad, calendula, adonis (as offering to artemis, and in a pot so my cat doesn't eat it), strawflower, sunflower. Those are all the seedlings I've started or plan to start

also considering carrots, garlic, onion, and potatoes. And I have a greenhouse on my property that I honestly don't know what to use for...

I have a huge property, but I'm afraid to plant too many things because the house is selling, so I'm worried I will make the yard really nice and someone will come along and buy it, and steal all my hard work.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Re: What's in your garden this year?

Basil, Parsley, Mugwort, Sage, Rosemary, Tomato, Chives and Sweet Bell Peppers

The Gaze of the Abyss B. de Corbin's Avatar
    Feb 2007
    Religion
    Alchemist and Neo-American Redneck Buddhist
    Frozen Northern Michigan, near Thunder Bay
    Phrase
    Where are the tweezers?

We have rhubarb too - and it should be ready to pick soon. I make a fine pie.

Also, we have apple, pear, and cherry trees that were here when we bought the place, and I've planted a bunch of plums over the years.

Our garden is huge - when we are able to put the time into it. I'll plant potatoes and onions (time to get them in the ground right now), and I've got various pepper seeds, pumpkin seeds, broccoli, snow peas and garden peas, etc., etc., etc.,...

...all of which will end up being eaten by the local deer population.

Oh... and wild mushrooms. It's time to look for morels...

Vulcaniclastic, skip the garlic. To get big cloves, you have to plant it the previous fall.
    Those who have suffered understand suffering and therefore extend their hand.

I can't do everything, but I can do something.

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Quote Originally Posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    We have rhubarb too - and it should be ready to pick soon. I make a fine pie.

Also, we have apple, pear, and cherry trees that were here when we bought the place, and I've planted a bunch of plums over the years.

Our garden is huge - when we are able to put the time into it. I'll plant potatoes and onions (time to get them in the ground right now), and I've got various pepper seeds, pumpkin seeds, broccoli, snow peas and garden peas, etc., etc., etc.,...

...all of which will end up being eaten by the local deer population.

Oh... and wild mushrooms. It's time to look for morels...

Vulcaniclastic, skip the garlic. To get big cloves, you have to plant it the previous fall.
    You have a deer problem too?

Also, my rhubarb has only been out from under the snow for two weeks...I MIGHT be able to harvest some around the end of May, but definitely not sooner.

...and thanks for the garlic tip! I forgot you plant them the fall before.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Oct 2012
    Religion
    pragmatic monism
    Phrase
    "Everything not forbidden is compulsory" - TH White

So far only the things that come back every year, currants, blueberries, raspberries, pears, apples, cherries, asparagus, mint, chives, marjoram, lavender, the sage and rosemary cloched well so don't need to replant, the verbena died, but I will give another chance next winter, the garlic has come up, the thyme did not make it, and plenty of flowers, of course. We've eaten plenty of deadnettle and I am making violet jelly if it ever stops raining. Apparently I harvested the garlic mustard to extinction last year -- and they said it couldn't be done. My neighbor says I can have hers, so -- woohoo, more early pesto. To plant -- keeping it simple since we are getting sheep and turkeys this year, though my husband has requested green beans. Calendula, fennel, yarrow, thyme, basil, beebalm, nasturtium, arnica, feverfew, zinnia, clary sage, aster, sweet pea, maybe salvia and sunflowers -- I think that list needs to get smaller. *sigh* The plan was to leave it fallow and focus on some other things, like painting the coop and building a run-in shed, but with the last frost date right around the corner I am like a junkie and all these garden shows and centers are like opium dens.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Militant Atheist. The Satanic Temple.

Dog poop and tulips.

I think I'm going to do more foraging this year - I already found mulberry trees! And there's horseradish at the park. I can probably find some rhubarb too, which I'd love to get a hold of! Maybe do some work in the community garden, etc.
    No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Celtic Polytheism
    Phrase
    Stories are some of the best things in the world.

I live in a townhouse complex and we're not allowed vegetables outside (they consider them ugly :/) but I've been considering doing some container gardening inside..just need to figure out a way to keep my cats out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by wisp View Post
    I live in a townhouse complex and we're not allowed vegetables outside (they consider them ugly :/) but I've been considering doing some container gardening inside..just need to figure out a way to keep my cats out of it.
    I grow my herbs mainly indoors since I live in an apt. But I sit them outside a lot and bring them back in. As for veggies and fruit you might want to try something called City Pickers. It's a little on the pricy side but it is really great if you can't have a full fledged garden. Here's a link if you like http://www.homedepot.com/p/CITY-PICK...j#.UX7p2Ffn85s

Bronze Member iflewoverthecuckoosnest's Avatar
    Dec 2012
    Religion
    Searching, drawn to Mayan mythology and Eastern Religions
    Phrase
    Sri Ram Jai Ram Jai Jai Ram Sita Ram Sita Ram.

I haven't personally planted anything this year, but that's going to change come Beltane. I've got me some flower seeds and fresh soil all lined up.

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Celtic Polytheism
    Phrase
    Stories are some of the best things in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by chris1987 View Post
    I grow my herbs mainly indoors since I live in an apt. But I sit them outside a lot and bring them back in. As for veggies and fruit you might want to try something called City Pickers. It's a little on the pricy side but it is really great if you can't have a full fledged garden. Here's a link if you like http://www.homedepot.com/p/CITY-PICK...j#.UX7p2Ffn85s
    ooo, awesome, thank you