What's in your garden this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in your garden this year?

A comment I just made in the frugalism thread made me think to start this one. What's in your garden this year? (or patio planter, or windowsill)

Already included in my yard when I moved here is:
    - rhubarb
    - a crab apple tree
    - strawberries

I'm planting:
    - peas, tomatoes, forget-me-nots, heliotrope, catnip, basil, dill, comfrey, valerian, cayenne, okra, mugwort, woad, calendula, adonis (as offering to artemis, and in a pot so my cat doesn't eat it), strawflower, sunflower. Those are all the seedlings I've started or plan to start

also considering carrots, garlic, onion, and potatoes. And I have a greenhouse on my property that I honestly don't know what to use for...

I have a huge property, but I'm afraid to plant too many things because the house is selling, so I'm worried I will make the yard really nice and someone will come along and buy it, and steal all my hard work.

Mostly art.

Re: What's in your garden this year?

Basil, Parsley, Mugwort, Sage, Rosemary, Tomato, Chives and Sweet Bell Peppers

Comment

We have rhubarb too - and it should be ready to pick soon. I make a fine pie.

Also, we have apple, pear, and cherry trees that were here when we bought the place, and I've planted a bunch of plums over the years.

Our garden is huge - when we are able to put the time into it. I'll plant potatoes and onions (time to get them in the ground right now), and I've got various pepper seeds, pumpkin seeds, broccoli, snow peas and garden peas, etc., etc., etc.,...

...all of which will end up being eaten by the local deer population.

Oh... and wild mushrooms. It's time to look for morels...

Vulcaniclastic, skip the garlic. To get big cloves, you have to plant it the previous fall.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
        We have rhubarb too - and it should be ready to pick soon. I make a fine pie.

Also, we have apple, pear, and cherry trees that were here when we bought the place, and I've planted a bunch of plums over the years.

Our garden is huge - when we are able to put the time into it. I'll plant potatoes and onions (time to get them in the ground right now), and I've got various pepper seeds, pumpkin seeds, broccoli, snow peas and garden peas, etc., etc., etc.,...

...all of which will end up being eaten by the local deer population.

Oh... and wild mushrooms. It's time to look for morels...

Vulcaniclastic, skip the garlic. To get big cloves, you have to plant it the previous fall.
        You have a deer problem too?

Also, my rhubarb has only been out from under the snow for two weeks...I MIGHT be able to harvest some around the end of May, but definitely not sooner.

...and thanks for the garlic tip! I forgot you plant them the fall before.

Mostly art.

Comment

So far only the things that come back every year, currants, blueberries, raspberries, pears, apples, cherries, asparagus, mint, chives, marjoram, lavender, the sage and rosemary cloched well so don't need to replant, the verbena died, but I will give another chance next winter, the garlic has come up, the thyme did not make it, and plenty of flowers, of course. We've eaten plenty of deadnettle and I am making violet jelly if it ever stops raining. Apparently I harvested the garlic mustard to extinction last year -- and they said it couldn't be done. My neighbor says I can have hers, so -- woohoo, more early pesto. To plant -- keeping it simple since we are getting sheep and turkeys this year, though my husband has requested green beans. Calendula, fennel, yarrow, thyme, basil, beebalm, nasturtium, arnica, feverfew, zinnia, clary sage, aster, sweet pea, maybe salvia and sunflowers -- I think that list needs to get smaller. *sigh* The plan was to leave it fallow and focus on some other things, like painting the coop and building a run-in shed, but with the last frost date right around the corner I am like a junkie and all these garden shows and centers are like opium dens.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Dog poop and tulips.

I think I'm going to do more foraging this year - I already found mulberry trees! And there's horseradish at the park. I can probably find some rhubarb too, which I'd love to get a hold of! Maybe do some work in the community garden, etc.
            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I live in a townhouse complex and we're not allowed vegetables outside (they consider them ugly :/) but I've been considering doing some container gardening inside..just need to figure out a way to keep my cats out of it.
              My Tumblr
              My Webcomic
              My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by wisp View Post
                I live in a townhouse complex and we're not allowed vegetables outside (they consider them ugly :/) but I've been considering doing some container gardening inside..just need to figure out a way to keep my cats out of it.
                I grow my herbs mainly indoors since I live in an apt. But I sit them outside a lot and bring them back in. As for veggies and fruit you might want to try something called City Pickers. It's a little on the pricy side but it is really great if you can't have a full fledged garden. Here's a link if you like http://www.homedepot.com/p/CITY-PICK...j#.UX7p2Ffn85s

Comment

I haven't personally planted anything this year, but that's going to change come Beltane. I've got me some flower seeds and fresh soil all lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by chris1987 View Post
                    I grow my herbs mainly indoors since I live in an apt. But I sit them outside a lot and bring them back in. As for veggies and fruit you might want to try something called City Pickers. It's a little on the pricy side but it is really great if you can't have a full fledged garden. Here's a link if you like http://www.homedepot.com/p/CITY-PICK...j#.UX7p2Ffn85s
                    ooo, awesome, thank you
                    My Tumblr
                    My Webcomic
                    My Twitter

Comment

My garden isn't huge but we have got a veggie patch, empty at the moment, but I will soon be putting in the winter veggies.

In the main garden, I've got lots of herbs a mulberry tree, a passion fruit vine and a pomegranate. I will be planting some apples, pears and hazelnuts there soon, too. There are some ornamental plants, too, but mostly I try to grow plants that can be useful.

Comment

Nothing super interesting, unfortunately. We have a bit of a squirrel problem and the Home Owner's Association bans corn (which we have the PERFECT soil for ...), so I'll mostly be growing tomatoes, wax beans, and I may hesitantly try watermelons. The damn squirrels like to get to the watermelons when they're young, unfortunately. I also have clematis growing around the mailbox, but they were recently transplanted and still getting used to the soil.

Comment

My carrots refuse to grow.

Mostly art.

Comment

My herb bed is the only one that has plants so far. I have rosemary, lavender, rue, mint, sage, oregano and cilantro. Oh and I still have some strawberries and onions growing in my veggie bed from last year.

In my veggie bed I want to put some peppers, cucumbers, pumpkins, tomatoes, garlic, some form of bean and whatever else I fancy at the market.

Comment

It died, it all died.
                              White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                              sigpic
                              In Days of yore,
                              From Britain's shore
                              Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                              And planted firm Britannia's flag
                              On Canada's fair domain.
                              Here may it wave,
                              Our boast, our pride