X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Runes for divination

Tylluan,
    So not to deviate this topic I have sent you a PM with regards to your question. For the benefit of other readers then I will simply say that Snorri's works should be read with caution.
    Frith
    Nordri

Comment

Thank you Nordri, I shall look forward to reading it.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I agree with Nordri on this; Snorri was trying to preserve his people's culture, but he was doing it hundreds of years after the official conversion of Iceland. Just read the first part of his Edda and you'll see just how much he allows his own view and prejudices to influence his 'historical' work.
        "The proper office of a friend is to side with you when you are in the wrong. Nearly anybody will side with you when you are in the right."--Mark Twain

"There are only two types of people in this world who walk around beardless; boys and women. I am neither one." --Ancient Greek saying

Comment

Can you use wood from a fallen branch to make rune stones? I only found one website that addressed the issue. The source said that dead wood makes dead runes, but suggested purchasing dowel rods as an equally viable solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
            Can you use wood from a fallen branch to make rune stones? I only found one website that addressed the issue. The source said that dead wood makes dead runes, but suggested purchasing dowel rods as an equally viable solution.
            I can't see why this would be a problem. Personally I wouldn't want to take a part of the tree away to make my runes when there's perfectly good deadwood around. Plus I'd imagine that when your green wood dries that could cause you problems.
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

"I only found one website that addressed the issue. The source said that dead wood makes dead runes, but suggested purchasing dowel rods as an equally viable solution."

i think i read the same website as you have, and my personal take on it is, it makes sense. the idea that a dead tree could make "dead runes" makes sense to me, and the idea of taking a branch right before it bears fruit (as to trap all the magick in it) makes sense as well. but at the same time, i see heka's point of view on taking a part of a tree away from it. i would like to find other websites that address the issue, and try and find the truth behind this idea.

Comment

Dead wood makes dead runes?

I'm laughing so hard I can't see to type, there are tears in my eyes.

My old pal, Russ the Runester used to have a saying: "Runes are runes. Runes are what they are and do what they do, and it doesn't matter what people do or think about it 'cuz runes are runes."

It doesn't matter what material you use to make a rune, because a rune isn't a piece of wood or clay or stone. It's a representation of a sound; a representation of a concept; a representation of a type of energy.

Pre-cut wooden discs (and triangles and stars and hearts and more) are available at hobby stores. Home improvement stores carry 'furniture plugs' which are perfect for rune making. Polymer clay works great. Glass 'pebbles' that are used in fish bowls work great. Pasteboard squares work great. Bone, antler and horn work great. Carve or draw on the rune, either way is fine. I've made runes from all these things and more. Be creative, be practical, have fun. Making runes should be done in a reverent and respectful manner, but it shouldn't be a chore.
                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country

“Barbarianism is the natural state of mankind. Civilization is unnatural. It is the whim of circumstance. And barbarianism must ultimately triumph.” - Robert E. Howard

Tribe of my Tribe
                Clan of my Clan
                Kin of my Kin
                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

I have to say I agree with Rick. Making your own runes is great fun - or at least, it should be. But runes are no less powerful if you can't make your own and have to buy a set. Runes is runes.

And now of course, we have to think about the rune poems...
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Nordic_Wolf View Post

i think i read the same website as you have, and my personal take on it is, it makes sense. the idea that a dead tree could make "dead runes" makes sense to me, and the idea of taking a branch right before it bears fruit (as to trap all the magick in it) makes sense as well. but at the same time, i see heka's point of view on taking a part of a tree away from it. i would like to find other websites that address the issue, and try and find the truth behind this idea.
                    see I really don't like the whole idea of "taking a branch right before it bears fruit to trap the magic in it". I just, I'm not exactly sure why, I just think this is wrong.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

this is why i said "i see heka's point of view".

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                        I have to say I agree with Rick. Making your own runes is great fun - or at least, it should be. But runes are no less powerful if you can't make your own and have to buy a set. Runes is runes.

And now of course, we have to think about the rune poems...
                        I think, first and foremost, that the rune poems were a teaching tool for those who used it as their written language, like we have the ABC song.

Comment

Originally posted by Nordic_Wolf View Post
                          this is why i said "i see heka's point of view".

fair enough

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Chessa View Post
                          I think, first and foremost, that the rune poems were a teaching tool for those who used it as their written language, like we have the ABC song.
                          Yeah I suppose, but the rune poem I'm familiar with (I don't know if it has any historical backing or not) has a lot of correspondences that I always assumed could be used for divination.

RIP

You cut your hair short
                          Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment