This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ask a Jew...

I won't always be around have a lot of work and am quite busy but I will try to answer as quickly as possible.

Re: Ask a Jew...

I guess I will get this started ... What is with the long curls on the guys? ... I believe it is restricted to Hassidic ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Do you believe the creation story to be true in genesis 1 and 2? Or allegory? Or how do you see it?
      I was Hadad2008 when I joined Feb 2008.
      I became Abdishtar this spring.
      Then, after the Great Crash, I was reborn as Spartacandream!

Comment

Hey LGR!! Long time no see! Good to see you here.
        Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

How are converts accepted within Judaism?

Oh, and this one has been bothering me! This seems to be something everyone else knows, but I don't. I've heard references lately to "Jew" not being the politically correct term for adherents of Judaism any longer. But I don't know what's considered acceptable if that's not the case. I've been led to believe in one instance that "Jewish" is more readily acceptable (as in, "She's a Jewish.&quot thanks to a Community episode wherein the Jewish character says "Say the whole word!" when someone refers to her as a Jew.

What's the deal?

Comment

What is the Jewish veiw on God, as in is he humanistic or something else? I think I heard reference once to Jewish people seeing God as like a ball of light and energy or fire.
            We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
            It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
            Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
            -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

It would seem she is busy.

Comment

I have one when you get a chance to answer all the others. Its something that has been picking at my brain ever since my husband began studying Judaism. He's interested in going orthodox jewish and I was just wondering how orthodox jews see pagans. What do they believe about pagans? I want to be able to practice my own beliefs (general paganism) but I will also be following Jewish tradition as well with him. (Going to service, celebrating the holidays, observing Shabbos). <--not sure if I spelled that right.

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=701.msg11702#msg11702 date=1289431272]It would seem she is busy.[/quote]

No lie... it has been so long that my circumcision has grown over.
                  "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

LOL @ ThorsSon

When you're ready, Mindy, I would love to hear your interpretation of the Shekhinah -- a concept that absolutely intrigues me.

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=Shahaku link=topic=701.msg11700#msg11700 date=1289431013]
                      What is the Jewish veiw on God, as in is he humanistic or something else? I think I heard reference once to Jewish people seeing God as like a ball of light and energy or fire.
                      [/quote]

Your questions is actually what triggered me to ask about the Shekhinah because I believe it is the Shekhinah to which you are referring. So, I went and refreshed my memory and found this....

From here: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/vi...8&letter=S

The Shekinah as Light. The Hellenists, both Jews and Gentiles, characterized the god of the Jews as unseen, and translated the Tetragrammaton by "invisible" (ἀόρατος). In like manner Ḥag. 5b declares that "God sees, but is not seen," although was rendered by δόζα ("glory&quot, even in the Septuagint (Deissmann, "Hellenisirung des Semitischen Monotheismus," p. 5). According to this view, the Shekinah appeared as physical light; so that Targ. to Num. vi. 2 says, "Yhwh shall cause His Shekinah to shine for thee." A Gentile asked the patriarch Gamaliel (c. 100): "Thou sayest that wherever ten are gathered together the Shekinah appears; how many are there?" Gamaliel answered: "As the sun, which is but one of the countless servants of God, giveth light to all the world, so in a much greater degree doth the Shekinah" (Sanh. 39a). The emperor (Hadrian) said to Rabbi Joshua b. Hananiah, "I desire greatly to see thy God." Joshua requested him to stand facing the brilliant summer sun, and said, "Gaze upon it." The emperor said, "I can not." "Then," said Joshua, "if thou art not able to look upon a servant of God, how much less mayest thou gaze upon the Shekinah?"(Ḥul. 60a). Rab Sheshet (c. 300) was blind, and could not perceive when the Shekinah appeared in the Shaf we-Yatib synagogue of Nehardea, where it rested when it was not in the synagogue at Huzal. In the former synagogue Samuel and Levi heard the sound of its approach and fled (Meg. 29a). The Shekinah tinkled like a bell (Soṭah 9b), while the Holy Spirit also manifested itself to human senses in light and sound. The Holy Spirit had the form of a dove, and the Shekinah had wings. Thus he who acknowledged God took refuge under the wings of the Shekinah (Shab. 31a; Sanh. 96a); and Moses when dead lay in its pinions (Sifre, Deut. 355; Soṭah 13b; Targumic passages in Maybaum l.c. p. 65). The saints enjoy the light of the Shekinah in heaven (Ber. 17a, 64a; Shab. 30a; B. B. 10a)
                      So, it is the Shekhinah (the indwelling presence of YHWH but not YHWH in totality) who manifests as 'light', whereas, YHWH is known to be 'invisible' or 'unseen' -- at least on earth.

I'd love to hear more from LGR when she has a moment!

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=ThorsSon link=topic=701.msg15174#msg15174 date=1290257171]
                        No lie... it has been so long that my circumcision has grown over.
                        [/quote]

ew

lmao
                        sigpic

Comment

[quote author=magusjinx link=topic=701.msg10566#msg10566 date=1289097895]
                          I guess I will get this started ... What is with the long curls on the guys? ... I believe it is restricted to Hassidic ...
                          [/quote]

They are called payis (side locks) they are left uncut to fulfill the commandment in Leviticus 19:27 27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard.

Comment

[quote author=spartacandream link=topic=701.msg10602#msg10602 date=1289137836]
                            Do you believe the creation story to be true in genesis 1 and 2? Or allegory? Or how do you see it?
                            [/quote]

Personally I see it as allegory. Many Jews do as well. Being that in the Eye of God a Day can be a 1,000 years, Yom while, dictating 1 day in the literal in the literary can be 1,000 years.

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=701.msg10904#msg10904 date=1289245329]
                              How are converts accepted within Judaism?
                              [/quote]

Yes and no. Some of the Orthodox sects that are attempting to rule Israel have attempted to make conversion all but impossible. Yet, biblically it just takes a declaration that you are now going to follow as a Jew. The entire book of Ruth basically speaks of it.

Oh, and this one has been bothering me! This seems to be something everyone else knows, but I don't. I've heard references lately to "Jew" not being the politically correct term for adherents of Judaism any longer. But I don't know what's considered acceptable if that's not the case. I've been led to believe in one instance that "Jewish" is more readily acceptable (as in, "She's a Jewish.&quot thanks to a Community episode wherein the Jewish character says "Say the whole word!" when someone refers to her as a Jew.
                              What's the deal?
                              On that, I'm not sure. I'm not a Jewish as Jewish is a Religion, and a Jew is an adherent to that religion. Sometimes I think people are trying too hard to be politically correct and losing a sense of language as a result.

Comment

Working...
                              X