X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask a Jew...

[quote author=Pagan_Jew link=topic=701.msg15171#msg15171 date=1290256150]
    I have one when you get a chance to answer all the others. Its something that has been picking at my brain ever since my husband began studying Judaism. He's interested in going orthodox jewish and I was just wondering how orthodox jews see pagans. What do they believe about pagans? I want to be able to practice my own beliefs (general paganism) but I will also be following Jewish tradition as well with him. (Going to service, celebrating the holidays, observing Shabbos). <--not sure if I spelled that right.
    [/quote]

Well, if you didn't start off Jewish, and aren't trying to convert a Jew to Paganism... Jews really cannot care how you believe as long as you aren't a hypocrite while doing so and don't attempt to convert us to your faith.

Comment

Sorry it took so long to reply, November was supposed to be a quiet month and that's not what happened. I hopefully will be around a lot more now that winter is "fully" set in and there isn't as much work to do on the homestead.

Comment

Also wanted to throw in that, in an episode of Weeds, someone asked Nancy if she's "a Jewish" and she replies, "My husband was... a Jewish..." so I'm going to look into this because this is interesting to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew_(word)#Changes_in_use

Something unrelated that I found interesting: http://www.jewfaq.org/gentiles.htm

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=701.msg19892#msg19892 date=1291512640]
          Also wanted to throw in that, in an episode of Weeds, someone asked Nancy if she's "a Jewish" and she replies, "My husband was... a Jewish..." so I'm going to look into this because this is interesting to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jew_(word)#Changes_in_use

http://www.jewishworldreview.com/cols/jonah081500.asp

Something unrelated that I found interesting: http://www.jewfaq.org/gentiles.htm
          [/quote]

Interesting links. The second link really addresses the issue, I think, in relation to saying 'a Jewish' -- he says You drink "Turkish" coffee, but no one says "he is a Turkish." . Turkish would be considered an adjective, and, in the format you are describing, the word 'Jewish' would be an adjective, too. So, I say "She is a Jew." is correct, and "She is a Jewish." is incorrect. Maybe it was an [failed] attempt at political correctness on the part of the Weeds writers...lol.
          Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=701.msg19932#msg19932 date=1291519822]

Interesting links. The second link really addresses the issue, I think, in relation to saying 'a Jewish' -- he says You drink "Turkish" coffee, but no one says "he is a Turkish." . Turkish would be considered an adjective, and, in the format you are describing, the word 'Jewish' would be an adjective, too. So, I say "She is a Jew." is correct, and "She is a Jewish." is incorrect. Maybe it was an [failed] attempt at political correctness on the part of the Weeds writers...lol.
            [/quote]

Well, yeah. I know that "Jew" is a noun and "Jewish" is an adjective. But the word "Jew," regardless of the fact it's grammatically correct, has gained some negative connotations due to how it's been used in the past. "Jewish" is technically wrong to use in a sentence in that way, but it sounds less aggressive.

As an example of what I mean, when you type "Jew" into the search field at Google, this pops up: http://www.google.com/explanation.html

Comment

[quote author=Raphaeline link=topic=701.msg20022#msg20022 date=1291565757]
              Well, yeah. I know that "Jew" is a noun and "Jewish" is an adjective. But the word "Jew," regardless of the fact it's grammatically correct, has gained some negative connotations due to how it's been used in the past. "Jewish" is technically wrong to use in a sentence in that way, but it sounds less aggressive.

As an example of what I mean, when you type "Jew" into the search field at Google, this pops up: http://www.google.com/explanation.html
              [/quote]

Absolutely. Using the word 'Jew' can definitely be uncomfortable for some people (though, as your article says, it's making a more positive comeback), so, for those that are uncomfortable, you can still use the word Jewish in the proper context without losing meaning.

As for Weeds, clearly there are no Jewish people on the payroll there, huh?

Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

As a Jew ... I find myself angered that the PC crowd would allow those who spread hate and bigotry to take a word that is perfectly legitimate, a word we use to describe ourselves, and twist it so completely it becomes anathema.

My thoughts are, keep using it. Don't let the bigots win, and force them to use the words they used before.

Comment

This isn't a question, but (since its your thread and all, feel free to comment on it LGR, lol...) I found this interesting article online @ Patheos about modesty (for men and women) in Orthodox Judaism.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

My BFF in r/l is a Jewish guy I've known since 1982. We've learned a lot from each other, and I have a huge amount of respect for the faith, for those who observe. (Not for those who despise non-Jews, and I've had the sad experience of encountering quite a few of those. They're just like the phoney right-wing Christians who do not follow Christianity.)The greatest love of my life, so far, was also Jewish, and you could not hope to meet a nicer family than his.
                    sigpic
                    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Sorry if this has been asked already, I did search but did not find.

Is it true there is no Hell in Judaism? Just a place you go to that is separate from God until you have been paid for your sin, been purified and then go to be with God?
                      Last edited by Dumuzi; 10 Dec 2012, 05:22. Reason: User request

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post

Is it true there is no Hell in Judaism? Just a place you go to that is separate from God until you have been paid for your sin, been purified and then go to be with God?
                        This post is quite old, but since nobody has answered it, I figure it's okay for me to give it a go, right?

It is true that there is no concept of Hell in Judaism -- nor is there a concept of Heaven, really. Judaism is heavily focused on the present and the things that are happening in this life, and specifies very little about the afterlife. In fact, some Jews, particularly Chasidim, believe in reincarnation. Though I would say, typically, mainstream Jews believe in a place where people will be reunited after death, and some take it a step further to say that only the righteous get to partake in this reunion. Orthodox and Conservative Jews also typically believe in the eventual resurrection of the dead at the coming of the messiah, though Reform Jews have largely rejected this belief.

However, long story short, I don't think that there is any form of mainstream Judaism that believes explicitly in a Hell, although there certainly are Jews who believe in one. Jewish beliefs in the afterlife are very varied, since so little is said about it in the Torah.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post

I'm not very drawn to Judaism, but as far as I know there is hell in Judaism. They just don't like to talk about it much.

- - - Updated - - -

That's only how I understand it.
                          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Came here to ask a question, but I guess LGR isn't around anymore?

I'll go ahead and tell y'all that hell in Judaism is basically not recognizably hell. Like there is essentially no hell. There's like a spiritual dumping ground for very special cases of terrible souls and a place of torment for the .0001% of the evilest people as I understand it. Anyway, it's like a non-issue for Jews.

Similarly, but to a lesser extent, the Jewish satan is practically unrecognizable from the Christian one. As I understand it, Lucifer for the Jews is like a partner to God who argues against our souls, because God is so all-loving that he needs someone to argue why we suck.

Which is strange, because the Old Testament God is kinda messed up much of the time...

Comment

As I understand it, Lucifer for the Jews is like a partner to God who argues against our souls, because God is so all-loving that he needs someone to argue why we suck.
                              Bahaha thats hilarious
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Siloh View Post
                                Which is strange, because the Old Testament God is kinda messed up much of the time...
                                Makes sense to me, love makes you crazy. I thought everyone knew that.
                                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Working...
                                X