Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Christian (Catholic)

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Christian, worships Yahweh and Jesus, but doesn't care if you don't.

Ask a Christian (Catholic)

I thought this might be fun- I'm a pretty "bad Catholic" but I'd still love to answer anyone's questions on it, or Christianity in general (though I can't go into questions on the tenants of other denominations). You guys have taught me quite a bit, so if I can return the favor, that would be cool.

(And if no one is interested, just ignore this post ^_^)

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Finding sanctity.
    Phrase
    Mistress of the Ban

Re: Ask a Christian (Catholic)

If you think you are a 'bad catholic', why do you practice Catholicism at all? And what defines a 'good' and 'bad' catholic?
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Sep 2012
    Religion
    Druid

As an individual with deep Catholic roots myself I ask your answers are in Harmony with the Holy See. Catholics tend to get the idea that certain doctrine and dogma are negotiable and optional, and in reality that is far from true.

I hope you have your Catechism ready If not I can lend a hand.
    “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

Roman Catholic or other? Catholocism isn't (to my knowledge) quite as divided as Protestants or Paganism but there are some variations on it floating around with varying allegiance to the Vatican.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Sep 2012
    Religion
    Druid

Quote Originally Posted by MaskedOne View Post
    Roman Catholic or other? Catholocism isn't (to my knowledge) quite as divided as Protestants or Paganism but there are some variations on it floating around with varying allegiance to the Vatican.
    Right, like Orthadox denominations and "empty seater" pre-vatican II denominations
    “A lifetime may not be long enough to attune ourselves fully to the harmony of the universe. But just to become aware that we can resonate with it -- that alone can be like waking up from a dream.” - Br. David Steindl Rast

Mar 2009
    Religion
    Jedi
    Phrase
    The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force.

I was thinking Orthodox. I'm not familiar with the "empty seater" denominations.
    "It is not simply enough to know the light…a Jedi must feel the tension between the two sides of the Force…in himself and in the universe."
    ―Thon

"When to the Force you truly give yourself, all you do expresses the truth of who you are,"

Yoda

Yoda told stories, and ate, and cried, and laughed: and the Padawans saw that life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Mar 2013
    Religion
    Christian, worships Yahweh and Jesus, but doesn't care if you don't.

Why am I a "Bad Catholic"? Let me count the ways:
    1. I disagree with a huge number of church teachings, including those on Gays, birth control, women's role in the church, ordination of women, etc.
    2. I haven't attended mass locally in some time because my local priest is ridiculously homophobic.
    3. My girlfriend is a Pagan.

What makes a "Bad Catholic" is largely a social perception. Its something that other Catholics would or think about you, rather then the church itself. As such it varies between parishes.
    A good Catholic would be attending church weekly despite the fact that every sermon their priest has given recently made you want to walk out and not come back, at the very least.

Being Catholic is more than just the teachings of the Church, as one of my playwriting tutors told me, "you never really stop being Catholic." As a Catholic I share an upbringing with other Catholics, and a familiarity with ritual that people outside the faith often find offputting.

As for why I haven't stopped being Catholic, its largely that. My family is Catholic, and even though I haven't been to mass in some time, and in fact have been to other churches, I still think of myself as Catholic. It might also be obstinance. Growing up I was told I was going to hell for being Catholic, that I was actually worshiping Satan, not God. That the Pope was the Anti-Christ. A guy in the KKK even spit at me as a child heading home from church. Its hard to let go of that identity, it makes it feel like all those people are "winning", if that makes sense :/ ...

Callmeclemens-- I would love help answering the less personal, more doctrinal questions !

Oct 2012
    Religion
    irish pagan

I'm from Ireland, horrendously catholic country, very hard to get rid of, like a bad smell, or mould. I've heard a few people come out with the 'once a cathy always a cathy' line.. I don't identify as catholic in anyway at all (100% pagan, just pimpin') ... but I get what you're saying about the shared traditions and famililarity.. it's like a culture unto itself... sometimes only another (ex)catholic will understand certain things, espeically when you're taking the piss.
    I'm glad you're a "bad catholic"
    I was in lighting a candle in mass once, I was only a kid, around a eleven, but I already felt drawn to the goddess, magic, tarot.. anyway.. didn't i lean over the candles cos there was only room on the back shelf.. all of a sudden i heard a noise.. my hair had caught on fire!! Imagine me standin there guilty as fuck because i was on the 'dark side' and the statue of st peter eyeballin' me out of it!! catholic life

Apr 2013
    Religion
    Scientific Pantheist
    Phrase
    "Interesting"

ok i have a question, i don't mean these to sound agreesive but, how do catholic's justify worshipping the crucifix (jesus) and mary, when the the ten commandments specifically forbid it.

I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.
    You shall have no other gods before me.
    You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God .....
    Exodus 20

Jesus is not yet the lord and resides in heaven untill such time as he inherents the earth sooo????

Dec 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Pagan/Stregheria

Quote Originally Posted by Kahlenda View Post
    ok i have a question, i don't mean these to sound agreesive but, how do catholic's justify worshipping the crucifix (jesus) and mary, when the the ten commandments specifically forbid it.

Exodus 20

Jesus is not yet the lord and resides in heaven untill such time as he inherents the earth sooo????
    I was born into a Roman Catholic family complete with a live-in, off-the-boat Italian grandmother. I went to Catholic school through 5th grade. We didn't worship the crucifix or Mary or the Pope, or any of those other (largely) Protestant myths. I still hear people say "Catholics aren't Christian", and I still find it absurd. We prayed to God the father, Jesus the son, and the Holy Spirit. Saints, Mary, etc., were employed as intercessors "Holy Mary mother of God PRAY FOR US SINNERS", and the like. But they weren't thought of as being God.

I sometimes talk to my deceased relatives and half-jokingly ask them to "put in a good word for me" in times of need - same thing.

Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.