Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask a Christian (Catholic)

Originally posted by PsykhikosAnarchosNautikos View Post
    Do Catholics specifically (Roman Catholic, Vatican types) have a from and specific practice of mysticism, such as the Jesuit Red Hats or Daoist Mystics, Buddhist Mystics, etc? To clarify, by mystics I mean those that hold the powers of the Saints and God/Christ within them such as healing, exorcism, ESP and other supernatural deeds, or is this type of ideation/practice blasphemy?
    I am... Really going to just field this one over to callmeclemens. I have no idea.
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
      ok but you still put up "idols" of jesus and mary and bow down to them
      i've been to a catholic church here in germany (tourist guide) , where there was nothing up by the altar except for a statue of the virgin mary....i found that a little strange...
      i thought thats whom they pray to also...

Comment

Originally posted by PsykhikosAnarchosNautikos View Post
        Do Catholics specifically (Roman Catholic, Vatican types) have a from and specific practice of mysticism, such as the Jesuit Red Hats or Daoist Mystics, Buddhist Mystics, etc? To clarify, by mystics I mean those that hold the powers of the Saints and God/Christ within them such as healing, exorcism, ESP and other supernatural deeds, or is this type of ideation/practice blasphemy?
        A priest can perform exorcisms with approval of a bishop or higher. As for the rest, the Catholic Encyclopedia states "Superstition ought not to be confounded with religion, however much their history may be interwoven, nor magic, however white it may be, with a legitimate religious rite."

Obviously the changing of bread and wine into body and blood is not viewed as superstition or magic. Seems to me, like anything else, it's all about perspective.
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lilium of the Valley View Post
          i've been to a catholic church here in germany (tourist guide) , where there was nothing up by the altar except for a statue of the virgin mary....i found that a little strange...
          i thought thats whom they pray to also...
          See thats what im getting at and why i can't seem to wrap my head round it. so your saying that although (say in a home setting) you would kneel and pray before a crucifix hung up on the wall, focusing on that crucifix, but aslong as your prayer was directed to god then the crucifix is insignificant?

And ok so just symbols, but you would have created a idol of something in the heavens above??

Comment

As far as Saints (and worship) is concerned: As Catholics we are taught, as it is in the Bible that we do not pray to the Saints, but we pray for the intercession of the Saints, we ask that since they, are in such good standing with God not only in death, but also so evident in their lives that their lives have been deemed miraculous, and brushed with the grace and compassion of the Holy Spirit. Just as most Pagans commune with spirits, we Catholics commune with Saints, asking for their constant favor and compassion as we to struggle to live a Christ filled life.

As for Crosses, Statues, and idolatry. The Catholic church is steeped in a long history, one we take much pride in each of these play an important task in the imagery that helps build our faith. As far as the crucifix is concerned I'm going to let the great Thomas Aquinas explain (http://365rosaries.blogspot.com/2011...emplifies.html) Sorry for the links but I'd rather credit one of the worlds greatest Christian philosophers than steal his words.

Mysticism etc.: This is tough, The Roman Catholic Church does try its very best to be progressive and open minded when it comes to reality, science, magic, and mysticism. The Catholic Church possesses a ton of Mystical items from Shrouds of Christ, to fragments of the Saints clothes, fragments of ancient altars, and even some fully preserved Saints bodies. While the Catholic church in the 2000's enjoys keeping the true relevance of these items close to their chests what I can tell you is that the Church does believe that these items to possesses a certain amount of "Holiness" and the use of some has been claimed to have brought on miraculous healings and other "miracles". The best answer I can find is that the Church may, or may not believe that the presence of the Saints, and there union with "God" can be found within that which they leave behind.

I also want to add that sometimes if you think people and churches within the Catholic realm are worshiping Mary, you're not to far off. It is common knowledge that That missionaries have used various peoples Pagan beliefs, Gods, and Goddesses to convert them to Christianity, in some places its more evident then others that theses missionaries just switched some around.

Comment

I feel as though a good intro to this thread would go like this: Before reading understand for Catholics, Catholic is not just a type of Church attended on Sunday. Catholicism is a yearly devotion to scripture, 365 days of joy, sorrow, suffering, celebration, feasts, and fasts. We understand the gift and are asked to live the lessons taught and serve those in need. Understanding that is crucial to be truly Catholic.

Comment

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
                I feel as though a good intro to this thread would go like this: Before reading understand for Catholics, Catholic is not just a type of Church attended on Sunday. Catholicism is a yearly devotion to scripture, 365 days of joy, sorrow, suffering, celebration, feasts, and fasts. We understand the gift and are asked to live the lessons taught and serve those in need. Understanding that is crucial to be truly Catholic.
                ^ when it's done right...

I know people who can manage that. I know and know of those who absolutely suck at it. There's also a decent amount of middle ground.

This is not a critique of Catholocism, by the way. Variation is to be expected and given how frakkin huge Catholocism is, there's a lot of examples across the spectrum. Same rule on variance applies to all other sects.
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Right, and Catholicism is more that the Roman Catholic Church, there are dozens of orthodox catholic denominations.

Comment

Thanks for being willing to answer questions, Malflick.
                    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                    Sneak Attack
                    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                      Thanks for being willing to answer questions, Malflick.
                      Glad to!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by callmeclemens View Post
                      Yes, this, absolutely. Even now, when I find myself distanced from the church, the yearly calender of life is still a part of me. And in many ways I long for the church to wise up and get itself together so that I can feel more comfortable there again.
                      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Working...
                      X