After Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After Death

So..what do you think happens after we die?? we are reincarnated, we simply cease to exist?! We go to a special place and exist there with the gods...or maybe we stay on earth as ghosts and
    talk to/help/haunt other people?! lol mg:

Re: After Death

Personally i believe that our essence (soul, spirit) leaves the body, the body goes back to nature reusing the energy stored in it. and our essence goes back to the "source" (universal energy) here it becomes one with the source compleatly we cease to exist but our memories and knowledge live on within the source, but at some point some of our energy goes into creating rocks and tree's or animals or human.s or planets and stars and so on and so forth.

Comment

Personally, I imagine that one gets one life, then nothing.

This is why it is so important to live well in this life, rather than speculating about what reward or punishment one might receive after death.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
        Personally i believe that our essence (soul, spirit) leaves the body, the body goes back to nature reusing the energy stored in it. and our essence goes back to the "source" (universal energy) here it becomes one with the source compleatly we cease to exist but our memories and knowledge live on within the source, but at some point some of our energy goes into creating rocks and tree's or animals or human.s or planets and stars and so on and so forth.
        very interesting point of view!! thanks for sharing.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

This is why it is so important to live well in this life, rather than speculating about what reward or punishment one might receive after death.
        this reminds me of what my father use to say to me "you only go around the block once, so do it full out and all the way around"
        i've found myself thinking this too, but i want to and believe in something so much more then just "getting eaten by worms".....
        i think i find myself too sad about thinking this may be the outcome. i respect that, when people are able to just look at death and just see it as an end
        and thats all.

Comment

I agree with Kahlenda's view as well. I read an interesting book by Deepak Chopra the other week: "Life After Death - The Book of Answers" exploring different cultures' views on death and the afterlife, theories on karma and the soul, etc. His main premise was that after death we go to whatever our consciousness imagined the afterlife to be. Check it out if you can find it, it's a worthwhile read.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

I agree with Corbin. I used to believe in reincarnation, but after a while, I realized how silly that sounds. Now, I don't believe there is anything after we die. We don't become ghosts, our souls don't live on, we don't come back as a butterfly, or go to heaven.

We simply cease to be.

Mostly art.

Comment

I have no idea what happens after death, and I don't think anyone can truly know unless they are dead and in an afterlife of some sort. Whether or not there is a metaphysical afterlife, I do think that death is part of the universal cycles of death and rebirth. Your body goes into the ground and is reborn as fertilized soil, plants, energy for worms who enrich the Earth, etc. etc. If there is something after death, I imagine it involves reincarnation.
              In the end, I'll certainly never know for sure as long as I'm alive, so I just enjoy my time here, do good for those around me, and make peace with the fact that one day, I will die, and that may very well be the end of my conscious existence.

Comment

Serious Answer: haven't got a clue
                there are things I'd hope for but I'm not sure one way or another

Fun answer:

*puts on eldritch horror hat*

Death? What's death? When I get bored of this avatar, I'll fashion an upgraded meatpuppet and continue to troll earth and collect pizza ingredients...
                life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I do believe in an afterlife of sorts. I believe we have spirits and those spirits are released on death and it is our choice whether we continue on in the Otherworld or whether we reincarnate. Despite how silly some may think it sounds, I find it both a comforting thought and one that makes sense with the rest of my spiritual beliefs and experiences.
                  My Tumblr
                  My Webcomic
                  My Twitter

Comment

When I was a child, I died. I was clinically dead (including zero brain activity). They unhooked me and left the room. I followed them out the door, down a hallway, through a set of double doors... into an office... and there, they argued. I heard every word they said. They were FAR out of the range of my hearing, believe me.

Then, someone appeared beside me, and took me on a trip. It was quite the experience. I got to meet that Great Infinite Intelligence that created everything. I got to revel in it, swim in it, exist in it, talk to it...

After that, the first being brought me back to my body. We talked for a moment and I returned to my body and lived again.

I experience only certainty that we go on when we die. And we remain self-aware.

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post
                      When I was a child, I died. I was clinically dead (including zero brain activity). They unhooked me and left the room. I followed them out the door, down a hallway, through a set of double doors... into an office... and there, they argued. I heard every word they said. They were FAR out of the range of my hearing, believe me.

Then, someone appeared beside me, and took me on a trip. It was quite the experience. I got to meet that Great Infinite Intelligence that created everything. I got to revel in it, swim in it, exist in it, talk to it...

After that, the first being brought me back to my body. We talked for a moment and I returned to my body and lived again.

I experience only certainty that we go on when we die. And we remain self-aware.
                      wow!! that sounds like quite the experience! i mean not that its cool that you were clinically dead (sorry if this sounds odd), i mean that you were able to experience what you did...

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post

That's an incredible experience! I hope you are right. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I'm a reincarnationist.

Ghosts? People too attached to this world to reincarnate.

Heaven/Hell or any variation thereof? I think we create our own afterlives, whatever that may be according to the cosmology we adhere to, as waiting rooms between lives.

Ascension? Yes, after our bits of soul-stuff are done absorbing all they can, they return to the Universal Source, the Great Mystery, to share those experiences.

New souls? Yup, bits of soul stuff that get separated from the Great Mystery to be born on earth. In a way, I use it to explain the vast proliferation of stupid people on earth. "You're new here, aren't you?"
                          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

It all depends on what you do in life and how you do it.

For me, I believe I will be reincarnated, but might have to spend a few years in the otherworld- you know, to 'check in, because I train my body and mind for that purpose (and many others) and have had some experiences with both (of course, it could all be subconscious meanderings, we'll see).

Basically, if you believe you cease to exist, then essentially you cease to exist and get absorbed into the abyss. I do not believe in one mighty creative conscious intelligence that still lingers, so by the abyss I mean deep emptiness. When people talk about 'union with God' this is what I perceive- loss of consciousness is loss of self, no reincarnation no other world. You, energetically and physically, decompose.

On the other hand, I think for those that believe, and work toward, reincarnation they will be reincarnated because they are strengthening their energetic fields through energetic exercises (I view the spirit tied to the energetic/bio-electric field of the physical body and the soul is that connection to potential. All things are energetic, some energies are just more subtle or dense than others).

I believe in the afterlife because I have had some dealings with the other side that have been confirmed by other people I was with at the time. Some might call it a shared hallucination, but there were no drugs in our systems and no psychoactive fumes present.

In all reality, I just hold a set of beliefs and these are mine (due to change at any moment).

Comment

Well, in Satanism, they believe that you could stay on the Astral Plane, Or choose to be reincarnated. I however believe that when I die, my soul will flow into the energy of the universe, and my mortal body will be left to nourish the goddesses gifts.

Comment

Working...
                              X