Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yoga enthusiasts here?

just home from yoga...I feel so bendy now
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Does anyone have a favorite sequence? There are a few on Namaste Yoga (yeah, I refer to it a lot but I really think its great and its my teacher at the moment) that I think are really great. They might be prevalent other places too, I just don't know it! Help me out, ladies.

Cat Series 1: Child's pose --> cat ---> cat lift (also cow) --> child's pose

Cat Series 2: Child's pose --> cat --> cat lift ---> downward dog --> child's pose

Cat Series 3: Child's pose --> cat bow --> half lotus --> upward facing dog --> child's pose

I LOVE these. they're my favorite way to warm up, get the blood flowing, stretch out the muscles, and whatnot. I know sun salutation, of course, but that one always feels so dead to me for some reason. Does anyone else know some great sequences to share?
      No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

I usually start with a down dog because it's my worst pose, then depending on how tight I am doing that, move on to some warriors (proud, 1, 2) or some forward bends to loosen up before I try it again.

Yoga Journal has a good pose sequence every month, starting with all the poses you need to limber up, leading to a final, more difficult pose; I'd check those out, some of them are pretty good.

Comment

Did anyone see that 'baby yoga' video?
          I was shocked! I am surprised that that poor baby didn't have dislocated arms and legs.

stuff like that gives yoga a bad name >
          What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Just blowing the cobwebs off this thread.

I've done yoga since high school but I must confess to never actually attending a class so never had expert advice. I might join a class at some point but I think I'd get competitive with the others and do myself an injury. I thought those who have studies under professionals might be able to advise me on something.

By boyfriend likes to join in when I do yoga. I give him easy poses to do of course, but his flexibility has been improving.

Sadly, because of his knee injury, he won't be doing any yoga for a while. What I want to know is, after a knee injury (it was dislocated), are there any poses he could do safely that would support it's recovery and strengthen the joint? Obviously, he wouldn't try until the doctor tells him he can start doing light exercise again.

Thanks in advance. Oh and so you don't have to describe in detail, I am familiar with most of the well-known asanas and their sanskrit names.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

My hubby has extensive knee problems--he's had meniscial repairs and cartilage removal and he has the beginnings of arthritis in both knees. From our experience (since yoga and Pilates were his only means of exercise for awhile), if it causes actual *pain* in the knee--don't do it, but if it causes muscle discomfort in that general area, go slow and gentle (its building up the muscles that will support that area. With that being said, some poses that are a *bad* idea are those that put weight on the knee when it is deeply bent--
              (think the warrior poses). Balancing poses on the injured leg should be kept short, if done at all (or done with a wall or other aid to keep some body weight off it)...time can be lengthened as strength increases. Pilates actually was a better bet for him in terms of exercise, since alot of it can be done on one's back with more movement--for him, keeping in an locked pose wasn't helpful. Basically, whatever doesn't hurt like hell and builds strength in the supporting muscles of the knee are a good idea. If he is going to go to physical therapy, he should ask his therapist what they advise (they are usually more useful than a doc at that sort of thing.)
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll suggest pilates. I have a dvd that I never even watched that might be fun to do together. It was a gift but I have read a few times that due to different breathing techniques, it is not advisable to do yoga AND pilates. I actually think he might prefer pilates if it involves more movement, and I am willing to give it a try.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  Thanks for the advice. I'll suggest pilates. I have a dvd that I never even watched that might be fun to do together. It was a gift but I have read a few times that due to different breathing techniques, it is not advisable to do yoga AND pilates. I actually think he might prefer pilates if it involves more movement, and I am willing to give it a try.
                  I've never noticed it to be a problem (actually I've just never noticed it). Here we have tons of yoga/pilates combo classes...and I've been doing both on and off for quite some time. Of course, I've been a swimmer for most of my life--and breathing during swimming is different from breathing in any other kind of exercise, so its something I'm used to anyhow.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    I've never noticed it to be a problem (actually I've just never noticed it). Here we have tons of yoga/pilates combo classes...and I've been doing both on and off for quite some time. Of course, I've been a swimmer for most of my life--and breathing during swimming is different from breathing in any other kind of exercise, so its something I'm used to anyhow.
                    I saw something like that on one of the fitness channels. Most the programs on there are from the States. I remember being surprised to see the two combined like that but it seems to be popular over there. I've also noticed that a trend in the States is something called 'power yoga' but maybe it is not as popular as I think. For some reason, the idea of powe yoga doesn't sit well with me. It is as though they've removed the relaxation side of yoga and made it just another cardio workout.

Oh and sorry to go off topic but I have a question about breathing during swimming. I am a terrible swimmer and have very weak arms. When I started trying to get fit, I was swimming 3-5 times a week. Sounds good right? Well, after just one length, all my muscles would shake from exhaustion. Usually, I would stop half way up the pool and hold the side to catch my breath (so embarrassing). I can swim a little further now before this happens, but considering there are people twice my age and carrying more weight, who are way fitter than me, you can imagine I am ashamed of myself. I have noticed that I hold my breath a lot while I swim, and I was never taught how to breathe. Could my problem be my breathing? I know my muscles need oxygen to function after all.

Comment

Probably...most people that aren't swimmers have problems with endurance/lap swimming because the breathing (particularly if you do other exercises) is the opposite...and because of poor technique/body position (usually its a combination of the two). When you swim, the trick is to breathe in your mouth quickly when your head is out (where and precisely how depends on the stroke) and out your nose continuously. When your head is in the water, it should always be down (as I tell kiddies when I teach lessons, "nose to the ground and talk to the fishies") because your body follows your head, and if your head is up, your hips and feet fall and it ruins your streamline position. Streamline position makes your swimming more efficient...as does body roll. Freestyle (and backstroke) both have body roll--when you reach for your arm stroke, your body should be allowed to follow freely and turn from side to side (it makes your reach longer, your arm pull stronger and lets your head turn to breathe more efficient). The other trick is to swim (assuming you are swimming the freestyle/front crawl) with your feet--when you kick, your legs should be straight and the kick comes from your butt in small, fast kicks...the best way to learn to kick properly is to use flippers. It is nearly impossible to kick improperly with flippers...they keep your toes pointed, knees straight and the kick comes from your hips.

Hopefully that helps (and isn't too confusing)!
                      sigpic

Comment

opened by user request
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

I am very enthusiastic about yoga! The downward dog is something I can definitely get behind.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                            I am very enthusiastic about yoga! The downward dog is something I can definitely get behind.
                            That just made my day!

Comment

Originally posted by pihlaja View Post
                              I've just get started with yoga so I can't give much advice with it, but I was wondering if there's other people doing yoga here? I'm taking beginner's courses of hatha and ashtanga yoga (at the moment I prefer ashtanga, hatha doesn't give a feeling of really doing something). Anyhow, I'm not sure if I can keep up with it after it gets more difficult and more physical. It's been quite easy for now - extra breathing breaks etc.
                              I have done Yoga for over a decade. Out of the four or five ancient/Classical types, Karma (Hatha, Laya/Kundalini,) Bhakti, 'Raja,' Jnana, and (mentioned in the Shiva Sutras) Mantra Yoga, I like all but Bhakti Yoga, unless it is for another person rather than some 'deity.' However, there is 'Deity Yoga' in some Buddhism, and I suppose that might be useful more if one see the deities as an aspect of oneself. Out of the physical types, I prefer Ashtanga (vinyasa) Yoga. Ashtanga Yoga was originally the term for 'Raja Yoga.' One does not really need to do the more advanced series if it has the effect it should beforehand. I am interested in knowing if there are other types of Yoga in the other Dharma religions and Taoism, etc.

Well, the main reason I started this topic is that I was curious about other types of yoga. For example kundalini yoga. I was wondering if some of you have been doing it and how you think about it? Have you tried different types and how did you like them? Which one do you prefer and why?
                              If you do something as intense as Ashtanga Yoga, you will probably have the same or even more effects as from Kundalini Yoga, and I do not think there is much sense in doing that until one achieves the state that it deals with--for most exercises--though I have also heard one Laya/Kundalini Yoga exercise described as putting the fingers in the ears, or perhaps using earplugs, to concentrate on the internal. That does not specifically deal with Kundalini, so it may still be useful for average people.

My smaller problem concerns yoga mats. I've been planning to by my own one since there are no real mats at the hatha yoga place and I don't like the ones at the ashtanga course. But I don't know if I should buy a thin or a thick one and how do I know if the mat will be solid or not... I also have a problem that my hands and feet begin to slide on the mats at the ashtanga place and if I buy my own one, I don't want that to happen. > And if there's really that much difference between mats costing 20 euros and mats which cost something like 60+ euros.
                              Some mats have a substance on them that prevents you from sliding. Though I did physical Yoga for years, I did not really notice any major difference between mats (at least in size.)

Comment

[QUOTE=demon;99931]I am interested in knowing if there are other types of Yoga in the other Dharma religions and Taoism, etc.
                                [QUOTE]

Daoism is loosely based off of yoga, and they call some of their practices alchemy practices yoga (at least in the West). The Yi Jin Jing (Silk Reeling) and Ba Duan Jin (Eight Brocades) sets are said to be the more direct yoga taught by Yogis to Daoists. Although the postures are completely different (they have been changed over the centuries a few times and are very much related to kung fu these days), the principles of structural alignment, deep and proper breathing, breathing with movement, calming the mind, feeling the body and subtle flows, etc, are still intact.

Tibetan Masters are sometimes called yogis and still have a lot of the spiritual practices of yoga, such as mantra, mudra and yantra. Certain sects even have tantra, the more esoteric yoga, called Vajrayana (Thunder Path- in homage to the Hindu God Indra) the predecessor of Shingon and Tendai Buddhism (Japanese Buddhist Mysticism- where Reiki has its roots). The Tibetan Yogis have a practice called Tumo that involves raising their body heat in extreme conditions by will alone. The Tibetan Yogis and Bon shamans are very popular for their Siddhi and enlightened wisdom, much like the Hindu Yogi or Yogini, Daoist Wizards and Shaolin Monks.

Mind you, I don't practice yoga but have read up and done some self practice and only know it from that perspective. But from my deep ventures into Eastern martial arts and western occultism, there are countless similarities between yoga and the platter of martial arts (mainly internal styles) and occult practices. Most esoteric and holistic physical health practices in the West (at least America) seem to stem back to either India or China.

Comment

Working...
                                X