Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conversing with Deity

Really stupid question...

I listen to a few podcasts and some people will talk about conversing with their deity or connecting with their deity and I was wondering what the experience is for some people when they connect? Do you connect through meditation? Or is it like a thought process conversation or something like that?

My experience with the divine is pretty limited and pretty minor and I never know whether it is legit or imagined so have not really engaged all that much. I is a noob.
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Re: Conversing with Deity

I get there easier through mediation and ritual, but since I don't do ritual hardly ever, it's mainly through meditation. Sometimes I can get it through mental conversation, but like you said, it could just be imagined- but if you trust it enough than your faith will win out (or you might lie yourself into an asylum...just kidding). I usually get a pretty intense fluid and etheric feeling when I connect and usually get some kind of insight and happiness.

Comment

I speak to my patrons when I'm journeying. They don't speak back, in that I have never heard a voice, I have just been shown images/body language/given impressions. I've spoken to my gods mentally, but have never been spoken -to- that way. More I was updating them. I guess I sometimes feel a sense of approval and such mentally, but that could easily be my anticipation of how they'll react when I return with a completed task.
      My Tumblr
      My Webcomic
      My Twitter

Comment

I tend to just get the feeling that I have done right, I don't "converse" as it were. I do converse with spirit entities and it is entirely possible thast one of them is an emissary for one deity or another, but that tends not to be what I'm aiming for.
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I "hear" the voice of the divine in the answers the world gives. Because my belief is that all things are forms within the mind of the Divine, I accept that any answer to my question that resonates within my being is the one from the Great Divine.

That assumes that the basic nature of the Great Divine is Love and that It gave me a spiritual compass that can 'divine' the truth through that inner resonance. Without that faith, life would be confusion for me.

Comment

They show up and pester me when they want something. Once I make it, they go away until next time. They are really more of a bother than anything else...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
              ..I listen to a few podcasts and some people will talk about conversing with their deity or connecting with their deity and I was wondering what the experience is for some people when they connect? Do you connect through meditation? Or is it like a thought process conversation or something like that?..
              For me I converse with my gods / goddesses all the time. At times it's via formal ceremony or ritual when I invite them to attend and make offerings and libations to them. Other times it's simply speaking out loud to them as I drive down the road or walk through the woods or what ever task I am doing at the time. For me my gods / goddesses are present all the time though I do not expect them to be looking at me all the time.

How do they respond that may take many forms. It's like one day I was speaking to Artemis and speaking out loud as I drove. My youngest son was with me when he said "Dad, she is following us!" Sure enough there was a single cloud in the sky that day and it was a woman's form floating upon a bright blue backdrop. For 40 miles and over a mountain range and into two valleys did she follow us. Just simply speaking to her and it wasn't even me that noticed it but my youngest son who saw it initially. Other times I'll be walking and a deer will simply walk out of the forest edge or rise up from the field and you know it's her or one of her avatars.

For Bast and Pahket I get a sudden hot and dry wind that engulfs me. Takes me back to the day I was on ship off the coast of Africa when I saw the moon turn into a cat headed woman then into the face of a young woman. That same taste of sand and grit fills my mouth and the smell that came in with the desert winds mixing in with the salt smell of the ocean. At times even the sting upon my skin that reminds me of the sand storm that came whipping up and out over the sea that seemed to say this is Africa. I do admit at times it's difficult to say whether it is Bast, Pahket or Sekor when it is just the hot wind and the smell as all three are Egyptian in origin. If it has a strong pungent odor and looks like a mirage before me it's usually been Mafdet who is another cat headed goddess but she is very rare.

For Hecate / Hekate it's usually at dusk or dawn when I most feel her. Though the cross between the old day and new day is pretty open for her as well. In fact most of my rituals and ceremonies to her occur from 11 at night to about 1 in the morning. She likes to form in the smoke of the fire when I sit and speak to her. Other times she likes to take form in the shifting fog or mists though I associated that to her dominion over the seas.

All of them have appeared in dream time and leave you wondering did they really speak to you in words you heard or did they speak directly to your mind? Even in awake time you are left wondering as the logical mind says you couldn't have actually heard a deer speak to you so it had to either be your own mind and internal voice or they spoke directly to the mind which explains why you hear them in what ever language you speak.

At times I admit I have erred on the side of something being an answer to my questions or needs that to another could never be such. It's like when dealing with totems or guides, 99 percent of the time a bird is just a bird or an animal just an animal doing what they do. Yet that 1 percent is so out of character or out of the norm that you know it is from Spirit or the Gods / Goddesses you honor and are bound to.

For me though as I stated the gods / goddesses are part of my life each and every second of the day. They are not there only when I do ritual, ceremony or once a month at some meeting. They are not here when I need them then take a back burner when I do not or choose to ignore them.

Most times I am made aware of them by the smallest of things and they speak to me through that.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I enjoy chanting silently the name of the Deity. Usually I do it through mantra (in Sanskrit) or through chanting different names of the Deities. For Thor I usually chant Thunor (I also want to experiment with Thung which is the Ing rune attached to the end of Thors name). I enjoy silently saying Odin or Woden on my in breath and again on the out breath. For Hulda I chant her name as Hulda or as Huul. For Shiva I do Om Namah Shivaya or Ong Namah Shivaya (Ong is also ing rune at the end of Odins name so Ong Namah Shivaya is almost a combination as some regard them as the same Deity like myself). For Shakti I usually say Om Shakti.

I think chanting the Deities names and silent meditation allows for a strong connection with Deity. Also consistent offerings such as incense or candles work fine.

Comment

Working...
                X