Why Wiccans don't want to go to jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Wiccans don't want to go to jail

The reason is obvious - they can't get carrot cake.

Daniel LaPlante, Massachusetts Inmate, Wants Dragon Blood, Cake For Wiccan Rituals

Do Wiccans actually refer to carrot cake as "Wolf Ice"?
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: Why Wiccans don't want to go to jail

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    The reason is obvious - they can't get carrot cake.

Daniel LaPlante, Massachusetts Inmate, Wants Dragon Blood, Cake For Wiccan Rituals

Do Wiccans actually refer to carrot cake as "Wolf Ice"?
    If he REALLY wanted those things, he wouldn't have killed anyone in the first place.

Comment

On one hand, I'm pretty sure that there is standing court precedent for providing some accommodations for Wiccan religious practice to prisoners. On the other, the shopping list that he's drawing up is rather extensive and I'm not really interested in seeing prisoners get the freedom to draft up f-huge shopping lists for the state and call it religious spending. I'd like to see what type of accommodations are provided to other religions (the prison has oils used by muslim inmates and offered access to those but isn't interested in buying more specially for nitwit) so I can get an idea of what's normally provided.

My initial inclination, he gets a credit of a certain amount for religious spending. He can use that for any supplies that he'll reasonably need through the year that the prison doesn't have good cause to ban (I don't care about your religion, there are legitimate and overriding secular reasons that prisoners don't get knives) but once it's gone, he's screwed. That gives him religious accommodation without letting him use the prison as his own personal deluxe catalog. Just because I'm a malevolent bastard, I'd say track down a local high priestess and ask for a very cheap, minimalistic supply list. Sum up the price for everything on it and add say $20 as a margin of error. That's the amount the prison will spend on him per year. No rollover.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

And people wonder why so many see Wicca as a fad or give it no serious consideration as a legitimate religion. This ranks right up there with the woman a few years ago who was burning her styrofoam cooler and other trash in her backyard and claiming it was part of her Wiccan religious ceremonies.

I wonder what coven will claim him as an initiate or if he is self dedicated and self initiated?
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

The guy is in jail,why does he get room service anyway
          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

first to answer your question...i have no clue if its called wolf ice...ive never heard of that before and "did" allot of wicca.
            just had to read the article and wow...he's in jail for murder...of a woman and her 2 children...and he gets a say so why? plus if he wanted those things, and if he is such a good wiccan and believes in "do what you will as long as it harms none"
            then OMG he wouldnt be in jail FOR MURDER in the first place!!!!! *blood officially boiling*

Comment

to be fair he's been in prison for twenty six years, he could have become Wiccan while in prison

Comment

Originally posted by maybeimawitch View Post
                to be fair he's been in prison for twenty six years, he could have become Wiccan while in prison
                This is totally true.

Also, just like there are bad muslims, bad christians, bad jews, and bad atheists, there are bad wiccans. Not everyone follows the Rede.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                  This is totally true.

Also, just like there are bad muslims, bad christians, bad jews, and bad atheists, there are bad wiccans. Not everyone follows the Rede.
                  when i look at it like that....youre right... *takes a bow*

Comment

Well, he certainly didn't seem to be "practicing his wiccan beliefs" when he murdered innocent people a few years back.
                    "Harm ye none."

Comment

This guy commented this murder before I was born... for those that think it a recent event.. that's a awful long time in my book to have changed. A lot. That being said, I agree with Masked. Reasonable accommodations along the lines made for people of other beliefs should be made for this inmate. That includes an opportunity to speak with whatever religious leaders he might have access to.
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I've done consultant work for prisons and Wiccan/Pagan prisoners. Usually there is no 'religious budget'. Most religious items are provided by visiting clergy - and that's usually limited to books and sometimes (but not often) jewelry.

If a prisoner needs items to practice their religion beyond what may be available if the prison has a chapel, they have to pay for it on their own with money they've earned or been given. A religious prisoner is still usually a con man, and will ask permission to have the most ridiculous items available - in the case of Wiccans, Heathens & Pagans, this usually means items that are considered weapons or things used to make weapons or drugs - athames, hammers, cords, candle snuffers, candles, herbs beyond what might be available in the kitchen, volatile oils, etc.

In this case, I would have told the prison admins the same thing the Boston Pagan mentioned in the article told them - no one needs special cakes or oils to be a Wiccan. It's nice if something is available, but not having them doesn't stop you from practicing your religion.
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

It looks like he's just trying to draw some attention. Being in prison seems like the best place to meditate, concetrate and do some mental rituals without any interferance. Instead of keep asking for things he doesn't really need, he could use this lesson of modesty in his practice.

Comment

Comment

LOL - at least you don't have to be careful about dropping the soap...
                              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                              X