Settling on a path

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Settling on a path

So after a bit of research i have discovered that i have very similar beliefs to the Celtic pantheon, the only problem is that i'm not sure where i belong in said pantheon. I figured that i am either Celtic Polytheist or Celtic Recon but i'm not sure of what the difference is between the two paths. If somebody could clarify and distinguish the two (if there even is a difference) it would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Settling on a path

My very limited understanding is this:

1) celtic recon: you try to practice the celtic faith as true to the ancient ways as possible (I didn't know this was a thing)
    2) celtic polytheist: you believe in the entire pantheon and worship more than one god of the celtic faith

Somebody else will likely have a better answer, though.
    “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

Celtic Recon, Recon is a short form of Reconstructionist. This means that Celtic Recons aim to do everything as it was done thousands of years ago. So, if doing an offering to their deity of choice, they would never, ever, give them coca cola. Instead they would offer Water, mead, meat, wine, anything but modern food. Also means their rituals and practice are strict and with less improvising, its like a routine that they must follow.

celtic polytheism, is basically what volcaniclastic said. Its basically the name for the religion, where you believe in the entire pantheon of Celtic gods, and work with any of them at any time. This religion is more open to mending and molding to fit into modern life, in the way that its not always as strict as Recon is. So if you want to give Coca Cola to Nemain (Celtic goddess of war) you can.
      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
      sigpic
      In Days of yore,
      From Britain's shore
      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
      And planted firm Britannia's flag
      On Canada's fair domain.
      Here may it wave,
      Our boast, our pride
      And joined in love together,
      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Thank you, this has helped me greatly

Comment

In shorter terms, recon is pretty fundamentalist, while polytheist is more liberalist.

I kid a bit, but some recons can get as militant as any other fundamentalists.

Personally, I love the Celtic dieties and I meld them together in various ways. I would like to see many of the beautiful rituals returned. I won't be burying anyone in the swamp any time soon, however.

Comment

Can you recommend any methods or literature I can use to learn further?

Comment

Sure can.

CELT is the online resource for contemporary and historical Irish documents in literature, history and politics in UCC, Ireland.

That'll keep you busy for a while! At that point, you'll likely be far enough along to start your own searches and have begun to establish your own gnosis, I suspect.

Comment

Thank you, I'll look into it when I have the chance

Comment

Working...
                X