How to honor/worship Thor today?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to honor/worship Thor today?

i could have guessed that, but its there a certain way your supposed to offer those things?

Comment

is there anything? before this thread totally goes dead?

Comment

Originally posted by Semi-Demi-God View Post
        i could have guessed that, but its there a certain way your supposed to offer those things?
        If you have a space for offerings than use it, if not set it where you eat. Just use a plate and cup.

Comment

(I didn't check this because I'm at work (taking a break from unauthorized, unpaid overtime) and our filter is finicky about Pagan stuff, so maybe some of our NT peeps can check it out for usefulness)

www.aren.org/prison/documents/Asatru/ThorBlot.pdf
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

I've been thinking about building something i could use as an altar, where would be an appropriate place, and how should i build it? does it have to be fancy or could it be as simple as making a pile of rocks with a spot for an offering dish?

Comment

any one have any ideas?

Comment

Semi-Demi-God, no one here can tell you how to connect to Thor or any other deity. We might tell you how we relate, but we can't tell you how you should or can relate. Google 'Thor blot' or 'sumbel' and read all you can and draw your own conclusions. Heathenism is often called the religion with homework. You now have your assignment.
                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
                Clan of my Clan
                Kin of my Kin
                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Well research lots of research , no one can tell u how to worship the gods , I worship Odin mostly but when I see a great storm I praise Thor . I try to worship the gods the same as my ancestors did which I still don't know much about how they worshiped but I leave offerings to the gods and when I see there work I send my praises ,
                  Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

I am new to practicing Asatru. Thor is my deity. As far as worship, I think of him during a thunderstorm, of course. But I created a small shrine that has a resin statue of him, modeled on the Eyarland statue (not Marvel comics! ), centered, a few other framed pics of the other Aesir and Vanir. What I am doing is reciting the Donar chant, the Hammer Hallowing, and some other prayers to him and to the other gods and goddesses. I light a few candles, some incense, put some edibles and just spend some time there. I also wear a Mjolnir pendant (OK, so what Asatruar doesn't?). Everything I know about Thor is that he's easy-going and loyal with his friends and family, patient, protective and an all-around good guy... someone you want to look up to and be good friends with. I don't think he will be very hard to please.
                    śivāya vishnu rūpaya śivaḥ rūpaya vishnave
                    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Comment

While cleaning the basement and going through all of my grandfather's old tools (I bought their house after they passed), I came across a small hammer with a solid copper head. I've spent some time sanding down the beat-up shaft, and am going to be inscribing a series of runes into it to dedicate it to Thor, to be used in my workings with Him.

Comment

maybe i shouldn't be bothering with this, I'm too overwhelmed as it is

Comment

Thor is fierce and unforgiving with his enemies and enemies of his friends and protectees. But at home he's laid back, likes lots of company and to just chillax with friends and family, having a good time. I think that thinking of being in his company at one of his "dinner parties" at his place, and living as he does, especially living the Nine Noble Virtues, is worship enough. Just my upg, of course.

Comment

so theres really no way of knowing if i even did this "homework" correctly or not? perkele! why did i choose such a hard path?

Comment

so theres really no way of knowing if i even did this "homework" correctly or not? perkele! why did i choose such a hard path?
                              It shouldn't be hard. It takes dedication, but if shouldn't be hard enough to make you give up. I suspect you are overthinking it and/or have unrealistic expectations.

It's pretty difficult to screw up with Thorr. He's one of the more laid back, friendly, buddy type Northern deities. What he seems to care about most is hospitality and loyalty. Hospitality is easy... make an altar. Loyalty is easy... spend five minutes every day at your altar doing some little devotional work. It doesn't matter where the altar is, what direction it faces or what you put on it. If you can't afford altar things then print out an image from Google that appeals to you and put it on the surface. That's all it needs. A tiny little clear space that is specifically set aside for Thorr. It can be the size of an piece of printer paper (or smaller). Nothing else goes there. Then every day stand in front of it for 5 minutes and think about Thorr. The absolute best offering is your time and energy. If you can pour a bit of beer into a cup on the altar then that's good too. If you can put aside one slice of meat from whatever you cooked for dinner that's also good. But your time and energy counts for much more than anything else.

The reason you're not getting many responses here is that a) you're asking about details that don't matter and b) you seem to have ignored the answers that you DID get. You're getting caught up in the accoutrements and are kind of missing the point of what it is to honor the gods. There's a reason that there is not a Definitive Guide To Honoring The Gods... because there is none. They accept all sorts of gestures and offerings. We can't hold your hand every step of the way. You need to do most of the work yourself. Start small. The rest will come with time.

Comment

There's nothing hard about worshiping Thorr. Over the past two months I've become closer to him just by remembering he's my friend, my bud, my big brother, my hero, my role model, everything I want to be. That's probably honor enough for him. I made a post about not feeling much at my altar, but as Rae'ya pointed out to me, it's probably because I don't spend enough time there, something I'm working on. But I realized it's not necessary to even have an altar, I can talk to him any time, any place. I don't drink, as a rule, but if I crack open the bottle of mead, or a beer, and pour it, it's primarily for him, then the spirits and gods, then I drink. Thorr doesn't care for fawning over him. I have a picture of him as my computer desktop. Here's something that puts it in really simple terms, worship of Thorr in a nutshell:

Comment

Working...
                                X