Emotional state after rituals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emotional state after rituals

Let me try to explain this a bit. As an Eclectic person I follow a few deities in a pantheon. I invoke the God and Goddess when I am casting more pressing spells, for small protection spells I would rather use my own energy than borrowing some. I also give offerings and have communed with both Athena, and Kali. Now for my point.

After rituals with the God and Goddess, I can feel emotionally drained and fatigued. After communing with Athena, I will feel calm and collected. Happy. And after a communing with Kali, due to her caring but abrasive nature I feel ready for anything, high on adrenaline.

I want to know others opinions and/or experiences of such happenings.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
    -Confucius

Blog

Re: Emotional state after rituals

I don't have a lot of experience with rituals, but I can say that for me it may not be the deity that I'm praying to or trying to work with that affects me as much as it is what my goal is for the ritual. I know after cleansing rituals I feel incredibly drained, even if the ritual itself only lasts a few minutes. It's the same feeling that I get if I take a strong painkiller or drink a glass of wine or St. John's wart tea, a feeling of being vacant and disconnected from what's happening around me. But on the very few times that I've done a spell to attract something, like money or good fortune in general, I usually feel fine afterwards. Maybe a bit anxious, but if I'm doing a spell for money or fortune I probably have a good reason to feel anxious. I can say that for cleansing rituals I usually pray to The Goddess and when I'm doing a more specific ritual I will pray to a specific Goddess, like Freyja. I suppose I would need more experience praying to both specific Goddesses/Gods and more ambiguous universal type energies in different situations to know if it's the intent of the ritual or the form of deity that makes me feel certain ways.

I also give offerings when I work with specific Goddesses. Recently I did a ritual to beg money and good fortune from Freyja, and after I got it I went straight back home and made her a loaf of bread with raisins and set it out for animals to take, as per my agreement with her, which is not something I usually do for a cleansing ritual. I suppose my point is that it's possible that a deity would take a person's energy as a form of payment for a request granted, but maybe if the deity is expecting something concrete in return they may take the offering rather than the energy. That's completely speculation on my part though.

Comment

I feel calm and happy most times, but sometime I even feel giddy and full of energy.

Comment

Originally posted by TheTeddy View Post
        Let me try to explain this a bit. As an Eclectic person I follow a few deities in a pantheon. I invoke the God and Goddess when I am casting more pressing spells, for small protection spells I would rather use my own energy than borrowing some. I also give offerings and have communed with both Athena, and Kali. Now for my point.

After rituals with the God and Goddess, I can feel emotionally drained and fatigued. After communing with Athena, I will feel calm and collected. Happy. And after a communing with Kali, due to her caring but abrasive nature I feel ready for anything, high on adrenaline.

I want to know others opinions and/or experiences of such happenings.
        I'm curious but could you explain how you use the term invoke? Most practitioners I know only invoke / evoke on very limited instances and then only when it is an honoring or dedication to a god / goddess. In essence we see an evocation as pulling the power of the god / goddess into a point before you and many times involves a host form to receive it. example breathing life into a statue or charging a altar and the many assumptions that go with it. When we invoke it is to bring fully the god / goddess into our own bodies and to a great degree act as hollow bones or talking sticks and allow them to speak through us or act upon the physical via the usage of our physical bodies.

Yet each is very draining and potentially dangerous to the mind and spirit of the person when you evoke. It basically becomes a form of possession and spirit body domination over the physical body. Especially so given that unlike ceremonial or higher magics where one utilizes sigils and summons we invite them into or before us.

To me invocation / evocation has become a catch all phrase used in many practices when the words had specific usages and meanings. Almost like Drawing Down the Moon in earlier Wiccan ceremonies to experience the mystical and enlightening aspect of joining with ones god / goddess.

- - - Updated - - -

Just wanted to add for me the closest equation I can make is the feeling in your body if you grab an electrical line and get a straight jolt from it. It leaves the extremities tingling, potentially numb, causes the heartbeat to race and even leave you unconscious depending upon the duration of contact.

Divine energy and human body energy are two difference sources and have two different levels of existence in my experience.
        I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          I'm curious but could you explain how you use the term invoke? Most practitioners I know only invoke / evoke on very limited instances and then only when it is an honoring or dedication to a god / goddess. In essence we see an evocation as pulling the power of the god / goddess into a point before you and many times involves a host form to receive it. example breathing life into a statue or charging a altar and the many assumptions that go with it. When we invoke it is to bring fully the god / goddess into our own bodies and to a great degree act as hollow bones or talking sticks and allow them to speak through us or act upon the physical via the usage of our physical bodies.
          Well, when I invoke a deity I ask for their presence during a ritual either to help or so I may offer them a tribute. I commune during meditation and dreams so sometime I ask for them to visit me. Some say it's dangerous to give deities free reign over your dream state but I find it nice. As an example after posting the original post I asked to commune with Kali and went to bed. My dream was vivid and lucid, it was very dark and brutal but ended with a peaceful outcome. Which is not rare with Kali.
          By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
          -Confucius

Blog

Comment

Originally posted by TheTeddy View Post
            Well, when I invoke a deity I ask for their presence during a ritual either to help or so I may offer them a tribute. I commune during meditation and dreams so sometime I ask for them to visit me. Some say it's dangerous to give deities free reign over your dream state but I find it nice. As an example after posting the original post I asked to commune with Kali and went to bed. My dream was vivid and lucid, it was very dark and brutal but ended with a peaceful outcome. Which is not rare with Kali.
            We definitely have a significant difference in how we use and define the word invoke / evoke and perhaps point of origin for it. What you describe to me is simply conversing with my gods / goddesses and opening up my self to their presence or asking for a visitation / guidance. Offerings and libations to me are made from me to them but doesn't require that they be present to receive them as their essence and spirit is already present via any statuary I have enshrined them in or breathed life into. Even recognizing that a god / goddess may send an avatar in their place either to watch over or remind me of them and create the proper mental atmosphere.

For instance Hecate / Hekate may simply use the lone howl and cry of a hound through the night just as Artemis has used a lone deer to indicate her spirit and awareness.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

When the Far Crier shadows me or presses on me in any way I typically become very happy and feel invincible. Everything just seems so bright and perfect even if something really bad had just happened a few minutes ago. It's like being drunk without the alcohol. One interesting thing that I've noted is that I always hear birds singing when He comes around even though all the birds should be asleep or too far away to hear.

If He increases it to the point of horsing/visions/what have you I'm exhausted by the end. It's draining to host a deity even if it is just an extremely minute portion of them.

Comment

I think what is happening is when you are calling a specific deity you are calling that specific vibration to you. That name serves a purpose specific to their character, your ritual and the outcome of the ritual and your mental and physical state upon completion. When you call just the God and Goddess in general you allow any consciousness to get through. Since you do work with Kali, she is rather ambiguous, so when you call generally to the God and Goddess you could very well be calling a vampiric or chtonic presence or energy. This is not bad, but these deities can be draining because it is their nature to do so, especially vampiric deities. A chtonic deity may drain you because they are usually associated with death and decay of some sort, so to get the job done like Pomona said, they take your energy as the offering.

I think for now you should just work with specific names for their specific attributes of what you intend to learn or get done, mainly because you work with Kali and like I said, she is rather ambiguous is character, so any lesser God or Goddess could come through that holds such power as death, decay, facing the darkest aspects of yourself, etc, thus causing draining and fatigue.

Comment

Personally, this is why I feel it is so important to ground and center both before a ritual and after. Yes, you can use your own energy, but there is an endless amount of energy right below your feet. When you open up your channels to the earth and the sky you can tap into that energy and not deplete your own resources. This also help to prevent getting hit with an energetic backlash.

Comment

Working...
                  X