This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experiences With Cernunnos

When I discovered Celtic Polytheism, i was almost instantly drawn to Cernunnos and i was wondering if there are any long term followers of him to tell me what kind of experiences you have had with him or what kind of offerings you gave him etc. I would love to learn more about him so if any replies would be much obliged .

Re: Experiences With Cernunnos

Although I don't have a deep relationship with him I know of one devotee who took up bow hunting as part of her worship. I know that hunting has its own set of potential complications, but if you do it with honor and respect and with the Lord of the Forest as your guide it can be a powerful and beautiful experience. (At least that's what I've been told.)

Comment

I don't have much experience with Cernnunos except this. A few months ago, I was considering Him to be my patron god, but I ended up getting really spooked out. I kept having visions (?) when I was in bed of that famous urn (Gundestrup Cauldron). The thought of a wild forest spirit (God) made me feel haunted. I decided that He wasn't calling me to Him so much as he was curious about me. Not much is known about Cernunnos.

Comment

In my approximately ten years of worshiping Cernunnos, I've found that he enjoys any sort of offering that suggests the forest - I have given him burnt offerings of pine resin, dried patchouli, and laurel leaves. If you are a hunter, giving him the first sample of the meat you obtain would be highly appropriate. He would enjoy a sort of ritual dance involving a bow and arrow or a spear, or music played on a wind instrument. He also seems to enjoy whiskey.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Do be careful. Sometimes these divines/archetypes/entities or whatever they are, are more or different than what we think.

My experience with the forest god has been sometimes positive, sometimes disturbing. There is death in the forest after all. Respect from a healthy distance is recommended unless you are very confident in your relationship and ability to see.

- - - Updated - - -

Should add, in my experience, forest spirits or deity (I can't always distinguish) appear to be "moody." In the sense that I get a certain mood, response, feeling in one place and time, and coming back to the same place months or years later I get a very very different feeling. I find you have to "feel out" whether he is approachable or not. Sometimes it is better not to bother him.

Comment

gwynwas, in talking to John I noticed he shares the same views I do. And that is that almost all gods exist or could exist and a person can choose the gods that watch/guide them. So maybe you and John are going to be approaching different gods, its hard to tell.
            White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
            sigpic
            In Days of yore,
            From Britain's shore
            Wolfe the dauntless hero came
            And planted firm Britannia's flag
            On Canada's fair domain.
            Here may it wave,
            Our boast, our pride
            And joined in love together,
            The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by gwynwas View Post
              Should add, in my experience, forest spirits or deity (I can't always distinguish) appear to be "moody." In the sense that I get a certain mood, response, feeling in one place and time, and coming back to the same place months or years later I get a very very different feeling. I find you have to "feel out" whether he is approachable or not. Sometimes it is better not to bother him.
              I can vouch for this. Cernunnos is my patron, the one I pray to when I need strength, wisdom, and guidance. Through the years he has been almost cold when I approach him, though with a visible ray of light and warmth inside. Most of the advice he has given me can be summed up as: Trust yourself, suck it up, walk it off, get back on the horse.
              Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
              -Erik Erikson

Comment

Thank you for the replies everyone! Truly an interesting and helpful read! And Clive, when you first decided to worship Cernunnos, what drew you to him in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                  and a person can choose the gods that watch/guide them.
                  I wouldn't deign to argue, but if the divines are real, what's to say s/he is not interested in guiding you? That's a rhetorical question. I just mean to suggest that relationships with spirits and/or divines are just that, relationships. To me that implies a two-way-street. Best not make assumptions about what the other is willing to do or not do.

Comment

Arguing each others beliefs is useless, something I learnt early on. If thats what I believe thats me, and of course you can think differently.
                    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                    sigpic
                    In Days of yore,
                    From Britain's shore
                    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                    And planted firm Britannia's flag
                    On Canada's fair domain.
                    Here may it wave,
                    Our boast, our pride
                    And joined in love together,
                    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by gwynwas View Post
                      I wouldn't deign to argue, but if the divines are real, what's to say s/he is not interested in guiding you? That's a rhetorical question. I just mean to suggest that relationships with spirits and/or divines are just that, relationships. To me that implies a two-way-street. Best not make assumptions about what the other is willing to do or not do.
                      Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                      Arguing each others beliefs is useless, something I learnt early on. If thats what I believe thats me, and of course you can think differently.
                      Sometimes, you just gotta agree to disagree.

Now kiss.
                      “The world is big and I want to have a good look at it before it gets dark.” – John Muir

Mostly art.

Comment

But back on topic, although my theist credentials are pretty shaky, I find this god to be very fascinating. He is old too. Far older that the Celtic expansion in the early iron age. He probably goes back to neolithic times at least, based on one cave painting. Chances are, his worship goes back to paleolithic times, when hunting was king. Very old.

Comment

In my experience the deities that are more remote from human experience, and potentially older than human record, can indeed be moody or difficult. Cernunnos is for sure one of these older Gods. I have always held that this is because they don't relate and communicate the same way that we do, as human beings. I would also say that many traditions believe that we need to seduce and entice the Gods to communicate with us. We need to woo them and make the relationship as beneficial for them as it is for us.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                            Sometimes, you just gotta agree to disagree.

Now kiss.
                            recommend for deletion

Comment

Thanks again for the replies, keep em coming ! Anyways i am very fascinated to Cernunnos and i feel a strange fondness for him, even though I've discovered him recently. Could this be some sort of sign? Regardless, i wish to communicate with him in some way, what do you guys recommend doing for first time communication, offerings and future endeavours?

Comment

Working...
                              X