This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Experiences With Cernunnos

I see lots of pictures of Cernunnos were he is holding a snake in one hand and a torc in the other hand while wearing a torc, could anyone explain the meanings ?

Comment

The torc is a common adornment in Celtic cultures, usually worn by nobles and warriors. It's been suggested that it indicated Cernunnos (and other gods bearing the torc) as a giver of riches, since the torc (as mentioned) symbolises social status. Which fits with the interpretation of him as being similar to Orcus, Hades, and Pluton: a chthonic god with the power to both give and revoke wealth and life.
      The snakes held in the hand has many interpretations. But the usual one in Indo-European mythologies is that it represents nature and wilderness, especially so when it comes to the ram-headed serpents held by Cernunnos.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisvillian View Post
        The torc is a common adornment in Celtic cultures, usually worn by nobles and warriors. It's been suggested that it indicated Cernunnos (and other gods bearing the torc) as a giver of riches, since the torc (as mentioned) symbolises social status. Which fits with the interpretation of him as being similar to Orcus, Hades, and Pluton: a chthonic god with the power to both give and revoke wealth and life.
        The snakes held in the hand has many interpretations. But the usual one in Indo-European mythologies is that it represents nature and wilderness, especially so when it comes to the ram-headed serpents held by Cernunnos.
        Agreed. And just to compound, Horned Gods, of which Cernunnos is the ultimate, IMHO, are sometimes said to have psychopomp duties - they are the ones who "take us home" upon death, and as such could be said to have similar qualities to Underworld Gods, who themselves are said to give and take wealth because the Underworld was widely thought to exist, naturally, underground; valuable gems and metals are also found underground.

The ram-horned serpent seems to me a stark symbol of masculinity - both snakes and horns are phallic symbols and horned and antlered animals are often very "energetic" when in rut.
        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
          Agreed. And just to compound, Horned Gods, of which Cernunnos is the ultimate, IMHO, are sometimes said to have psychopomp duties - they are the ones who "take us home" upon death, and as such could be said to have similar qualities to Underworld Gods, who themselves are said to give and take wealth because the Underworld was widely thought to exist, naturally, underground; valuable gems and metals are also found underground.

The ram-horned serpent seems to me a stark symbol of masculinity - both snakes and horns are phallic symbols and horned and antlered animals are often very "energetic" when in rut.
          interesting, as a gay man I am attracted to masculine/bear type guys
          so a stark symbol of masculinity would be attractive to me.
          and yes I still have the dreams about Cernunnos and Pan

Comment

Working...
          X