This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Question about Celtic Traditions

Ok so I am a massive n00b and have a really stupid question...when people talk about a Celtic Tradition...is that the name of an actual specific tradition or is it a generalisation of a set of practices from way back when?

Is it also know where these traditions where practices and when as well?
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Re: Stupid Question about Celtic Traditions

From my experience, things that are considered "Celtic" are primarily from the UK region, and there isn't a specific tradition tied to that term.

It could be considered to cover Druidism and various forms of Wiccanism and Paganism.

It seems like a giant mish-mash of one people essentially.

Comment

Celtic is cultures from the British isles, Ireland, Scotland, Whales, ect. The faith was practiced in one form or another until the rise of Christianity in europe at which point native deities were christianized or demonized
      “They moaned and squealed, and pressed their snouts to the earth. We are sorry, we are sorry.
      Sorry you were caught, I said. Sorry that you thought I was weak, but you were wrong.”
      -Madeline Miller, Circe

Comment

Celtic can also refer to the ancient people of France and Spain (Iberia). Most people think of the British Isles as the only location of the Celts, but they were part of a much larger space than just the Isles. There isn't a unifying Celtic "faith" per se. What they did practice was more like a Tribal and localized version of earth worship. Plus, most of the information on how they lived and worshiped has been lost.

Comment

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post
          when people talk about a Celtic Tradition...is that the name of an actual specific tradition or is it a generalisation of a set of practices from way back when?
          It has multiple meanings. As a general term, it refers to various Celtic-based religious movements. Such as Neodruidry, Celtic Reconstructionism, Celtic-centred Wiccan groups, or Eclectic Paganism with a hefty Celtic theme. Do note that all of these are modern developments, revivals in some fashion of the ancient mythology and religion of the Celtic peoples.

However, the word "Tradition" when capitalised is usually used to refer to specific sects of Wicca. Wicca as a whole takes a lot of influences from the 20th century Celtic Revival, but also from (at least originally) British folklore, the Western Occult revival, and Frazer's modernist approach to religion, myth, and ritual. Some people talk about Celtic-focused groups as being part of a "Celtic Tradition" of Wicca; this, however, is a misnomer. There is not a singular Celtic-based sect or organization of Wiccan practice. "Celtic Wicca" describes more a general flavour than a specific group, and many different groups have increased presence of Celtic cultural and mythic elements.

Comment

For me, the general term "Celtic Pagan" means worshipping deities who were once worshipped in the UK, Ireland and Brittany before the late Roman and/or medieval-ish period forced conversions to Christianity. From what I have gleaned from other forums it seems that for some people, this term would be broadened to include the Anglo-Saxon pantheons that made it into England and Eastern Scotland for a substantial period of time after the Romans left. The Celtic Pagans would have been more than one religious group, however. Certainly there were many tribes who worshipped their own particular God/Goddess and who took their tribal name from them. From Archaeological evidence, we know that some Gods/Goddesses would have only been worshipped in a few small areas and others that were common to large swathes of the UK.

I am British, so being a Celtic pagan feels more like "coming home" compared to other religions or paths. Unfortunately, being a Celtic pagan is difficult as we know so little of a tradition that would have been passed down solely by word of mouth or which has been incorporated and intertwined so much into Christian tradition to make conversion "easier" that we can't separate the two. On top of which, modern life doesn't allow us to go completely back to living the ancient Pagan ways. Therefore I am starting to mix and match from the 20th century "Celtic Revival". Which, as far as I understand is more how people would have *liked* to have worshipped if they were the ancient Celts rather than how they actually did.

The term "Celtic Tradition", so far as I am aware, refers to more than just "Celtic Pagan", and would include Druidic, Wiccan and Eclectic groups (among others) who have incorporated Celtic or Celtic Revival themes into their worship. Maybe others know more than me on this though.

Comment

The Celts made it as far as northern Greece and Bulgaria (Thrace) too. It's a very vague term, and what people often describe as Celtic patterning is almost indistinguishable from the Anglo-Saxons (and yes, the Greeks and even Neolithic.) It's a very confusing term.
              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

For those who are interested in Celtic traditions, I would recommend the Celtic Reconstructionist FAQ (even if you're not interested in being a Recon). Here's the link: http://www.paganachd.com/faq/index.html.

I've found this page really good so far, too, though the focus is on the Gaelic branch of CR: http://www.tairis.co.uk/index.php?op...:home&Itemid=1. I love the Dagda article.
                Blog: http://thestarsafire.tumblr.com

Kuchi wa wazawai no moto (the mouth is the origin of disasters)

Comment

the links that are posted look like interesting reading

Comment

Working...
                  X