Solitary or group?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solitary or group?

Just curious as to how other people practice. And if you are part of a group, how did you go about finding one (especially those of you in the Bible belt or small communities)?

I recently had a tarot reading done to help me with the difficulties I'm having with connecting to the Goddess and God and the response I got was that it might help if I found others in the Wiccan community. The problem is I don't even know how to begin looking for a group where I live.

Suggestions would be much appreciated!

Re: Solitary or group?

I'm solitary simply because I don't know any other pagans in my city. BUT I'm not sure I'd actually practice with others so much as simply discuss and have a bit of a safe community. My rituals and such would probably be kept solitary.
    Meet up and some google searches can be helpful for finding others, or any new age stores near you.
    My Tumblr
    My Webcomic
    My Twitter

Comment

I'm solitary because I'm still deciding the path to take and I will probably never choose just one... and I live in a fairly Christian/Catholic community. If you have open minded friends, that is a good place to start as well. You might be surprised how much interest some of your friends have in the subject, and even their own experiences with it.

Comment

I'm solitary. I have done the group thing, even was in a coven for a wee while, but at the moment, solitary is right for me. Wouldn't mind meeting other pagans, though, not maybe do a celebration with some.
        My blog
        On Instagram
        On Witches' Voice

Comment

Since covens are in such short supply in my neck of the woods, I'm thinking of looking for an online Wiccan study group or maybe starting a blog. That way I can still have the social support while remaining solitary.

Comment

I'm solitary, though I have ran a coven/circle in the past and I attend and have lead, a local open ritual in NE England. To answer your question as to how i found it I googled. :P I think it is important to experience both group practice and solitary practice rather than categorise yourself totally. We are all priests and priestesses of our religion. In most instances and most religions, this means having both a public and private relationship with the divine.

I will also say, that taking part in group work in anyway you can is an awesome confidence booster and if you feel up to leading the proceedings really helps with any anxiety regarding public speaking.

Blessed Be

Comment

Since covens are in such short supply in my neck of the woods, I'm thinking of looking for an online Wiccan study group or maybe starting a blog. That way I can still have the social support while remaining solitary.
              I actually have a blog, and find it somewhat helpful, for myself...
              My blog
              On Instagram
              On Witches' Voice

Comment

I interviewed Tam Campbell on my podcast site here: http://tylluanpenry.podbean.com/

He mentions how he came to join a group and also makes the sensible comment that even those working in a group still sometimes work as solitaries. It's a lovely interview from a very experienced and wise Wiccan. Free to listen and download!
                www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I'm solitary...simply because I also have no idea how i would even come about to find a group/coven. I'm also not even sure I would enjoy the group practice much...as you have to choose a path...and I am very eclectic...I just never felt like sorting myself into any box, if that makes sense lol
                  i do love to chat and discuss things though, which is where this forum has helped me allot!!

Comment

Solitary. Most of my workings are pretty spontaneous and I don't really need/want a group anyway.

Maybe spending time in the forum chatting to others will be sufficient for your community suggestion?

Comment

Solitary, though I am meeting with a Druid grove in June.

Comment

I've always been solitary. On only three occasions have I practiced with others: When I was 16 I held a Beltane celebration with some people I knew from school; at 18 I attended a Spring Equinox celebration with my boyfriend at the time at a local occult store; and that same year said boyfriend took part in a full moon ritual with me.

I've found it a chore to find other Pagans around here, mainly because I'm about 65% introvert. I've never been a group-oriented person, but if I were to meet some other Pagans I wouldn't mind possibly becoming friends and perhaps worshiping together at times, but I don't really want to join a coven or be part of such a tight-knit group.
                        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

I practised solitarily though I knew a couple pagans in the area. Then me and my fiancee started practising together when she moved in. Then a group of our friends, who turned out to be solitary Wiccans as well, came together with us and we decided to formally establish ourselves as a coven. Prior to that, we'd done a few common rituals together, but there was nothing set in stone as an organisational structure between us all.

So...sometimes it just takes time and meeting the right people.

Comment

I'm practicing solitary for right now I did find a group in my area and I figured I'd give it a try.

Comment

I find this question extremely interesting.

I've always practiced solitary, but did one ritual with two other witches and found the results to be amplified 100 fold. Really quite astounding and a little overwhelming.

Nonetheless, I'm interested in maybe exploring group magick.

Comment

Working...
                              X