How to improve my altar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to improve my altar?

So, my altar is very, extremely basic. I use it to speak to/offer things to Odin. So I was wondering what I could add here to spiff it up a bit.

On it is:
    A stick (Funny right) but I use it to grind things.
    A half a walnut, I use it with the stick, it just holds thing while I burn them, or use them.
    Blue candle, Odin is a norse god and the blue reminds me of ice and snow.
    My Asatru dog tag.
    Shot glass to hold liquids/herbs while using them.
    Pocket knife, there to do anything I'd use a pocket knife for.

So, if any heathens/people who dabble with the Norse side of things can suggest anything I can add to better represent Odin, and maybe provide some links. Any help is appreciated.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Re: How to improve my altar?

Statues, pictures, any stones or other materials that speak to you.

Okay, I'm not heathen/asatru and I'm a sucker for ornamentation. To me, that's really what draws me into my altar when I need it. I have shark teeth (my totem is a shark), shells (connected to the sea and water in general), the tools I use regularly, a couple stones I picked up off the street that remind me of the moon, some pine needles, and I'm working on getting some artwork to stick on the wall directly behind my altar.

Maybe I helped, maybe not. I tried!

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
      Statues, pictures, any stones or other materials that speak to you.

Okay, I'm not heathen/asatru and I'm a sucker for ornamentation. To me, that's really what draws me into my altar when I need it. I have shark teeth (my totem is a shark), shells (connected to the sea and water in general), the tools I use regularly, a couple stones I picked up off the street that remind me of the moon, some pine needles, and I'm working on getting some artwork to stick on the wall directly behind my altar.

Maybe I helped, maybe not. I tried!
      No you helped trust me

I can adapt what you use to Odin. So maybe some pictures, a small statue, a few runes. Thanks for the help Ljubezen
      sigpic
      In Days of yore,
      From Britain's shore
      On Canada's fair domain.
      Here may it wave,
      Our boast, our pride
      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
        No you helped trust me

I can adapt what you use to Odin. So maybe some pictures, a small statue, a few runes. Thanks for the help Ljubezen
        No problem. ^^

Comment

I would make a circle of stones or statues that connect the four elements. If you can, get an eye patch and inscribe Odin's sigil upon it and a circle of runes around everything else. Two crows on either side of our altar would be nice as well, and maybe a pewter, horn (or any big) beer mug and a fighters knife, hammer or ax in honor of Valhalla. Just suggestions from what I know about Odin.

Comment

Psykhikos, that is a mean sounding altar. I like it, I dont know if I could do it all but If I can scrounge some change together I'll try some of your ideas. This raises a question for you Psykhikos, what do the elements play as a role on the altar? Thanks
            sigpic
            In Days of yore,
            From Britain's shore
            On Canada's fair domain.
            Here may it wave,
            Our boast, our pride
            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

The elements are just a reminder of the building blocks of the physical universe, and for us that don't go to temples for whatever reason (lack of access... or the fact pagan temples don't exist anymore), it makes the altar the temple. I know the Asatru elements are a little different than the usual pagan elements, such as having ice, salt and yeast (if I am correct) along with the usual four (fire, water, earth, air), but having representations upon your altar helps connect with the primal feeling and flow of creation. After all, Asatru, or any spiritual path in my perspective, was/is used as a means to connect with the primal elements of creation, not to reconstruct an ancient tradition. Basically, the elements represent the elements of primordial creation, that is why they are so powerful in calling them forth for ritual work.

Comment

Thanks for the explanation

Although, I don't know if I am strictly Asatru religion, I use that necklace and the term for its literal meaning, "Faith in the gods." So I have a mish mash of old norse tradition and modern ideas. But again, thanks for the explanation.
                sigpic
                In Days of yore,
                From Britain's shore
                On Canada's fair domain.
                Here may it wave,
                Our boast, our pride
                The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Originally posted by PsykhikosAnarchosNautikos View Post
                  I know the Asatru elements are a little different than the usual pagan elements, such as having ice, salt and yeast (if I am correct) along with the usual four (fire, water, earth, air), but having representations upon your altar helps connect with the primal feeling and flow of creation.
                  I know a number of Asatru and Heathen folk (IRL, not online)....have done rituals with them, been in discussion groups with them, and have never heard of this at all. I actually remember a distinct conversation where one of them (actually my roommate at the time) called the idea of the elements "new agey wiccan nonsense, but I'll go along with it for now" in a conversation about putting together an intra-Pagan ritual (gotta love being Pagan on a ship!). YMMV, I've never seen anyone that does this specifically, and I've only seen folks incorporating ideas like the elements if they are worshiping in a modern Pagan, but Asatru/heathen flavored context. Granted, I've never been all that into Asatru, its just not my thing, so this very well might be an idea that is out there somewhere...

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
                  So, my altar is very, extremely basic. I use it to speak to/offer things to Odin. So I was wondering what I could add here to spiff it up a bit.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1727[/ATTACH]

On it is:
                  A stick (Funny right) but I use it to grind things.
                  A half a walnut, I use it with the stick, it just holds thing while I burn them, or use them.
                  Blue candle, Odin is a norse god and the blue reminds me of ice and snow.
                  My Asatru dog tag.
                  Shot glass to hold liquids/herbs while using them.
                  Pocket knife, there to do anything I'd use a pocket knife for.

So, if any heathens/people who dabble with the Norse side of things can suggest anything I can add to better represent Odin, and maybe provide some links. Any help is appreciated.
                  First off, there is nothing wrong with a basic altar. It all depends on what you want to do with it, and what you want it to do for you.

Ask yourself: What purpose do you think an altar has? What role do you see for your altar in your practice?

Once you figure that out, figure out what sorts of objects you need to achieve that purpose. Then start poking around with appropriate symbols and the like. Look for items that appeal to you, that help put you in the frame of mind that you have at your altar. Not every altar will look the same or have the same tools, because not everyone has the same sort of practice. Perhaps you need less of an altar, and more of a shrine...perhaps you need three-dimensional place to move, or just a dang candle on a shelf!

I'm not Asatru, but I've served with a number of them and been in Pagan groups with a number of them and lived with one of them (and his wife) for some time...your best bet is to lurk on some of the better Asatru and Heathen forums and websites (they tend to be geared more towards reconstructionism, so I don't really recommend posting all that much unless that is the avenue you are shooting for). Anyhoo, from what I do know, the most obvious symbols for Odin would probably be the raven--if you get anything having to do with ravens, be careful, because having birds and bird parts (even feathers) in the US is illegal without a collector's license (unless you get them from someone with a license and can show proof of purchase). Also, the valknut, the runes themselves, etc... We have a couple of folks that are Heathen around somewhere, they can offer some good source materials to start at (I've seen this site recommended from time to time). Read mythology, read the Eddas, etc.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

I have a wooden bowl I do offerings in. I also have a horn but I have yet to drink out of it. I have some pictures of gods/goddesses I need to frame. I have a bag of runes and a cast iron thing I burn my incense in. I also have a cande holder with snow flakes on it for Holda. I am moving my stuff from my handmade altar to a bought altar tomorrow. I will post pics when I'm done.

Comment

My alter changes a lot...most recently it was geared towards Freya, but was effectively deconstructed by my children. Simple is good. Nothing wrong with simple, at all.

Something that isn't traditional, but my spouse has a small glass chess set that is tied to Odin to him.
                      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        I know a number of Asatru and Heathen folk (IRL, not online)....have done rituals with them, been in discussion groups with them, and have never heard of this at all. I actually remember a distinct conversation where one of them (actually my roommate at the time) called the idea of the elements "new agey wiccan nonsense, but I'll go along with it for now" in a conversation about putting together an intra-Pagan ritual (gotta love being Pagan on a ship!). YMMV, I've never seen anyone that does this specifically, and I've only seen folks incorporating ideas like the elements if they are worshiping in a modern Pagan, but Asatru/heathen flavored context. Granted, I've never been all that into Asatru, its just not my thing, so this very well might be an idea that is out there somewhere...
                        I am not Asatru or Heathen at all, but have done a few studies and meditations on the Runes. From the book I have been reading (Futhark by Edred Thorsson) he mentions elements as the building blocks and connections to the power of the Runes. My take of the elements is definitely taken from the Wiccan ideal, and a little from Daoism. I was mentioning the elements from my understanding of the elements themselves.

Comment

In Norse creation Fire and Ice formed the world so they can be honored, also the four winds. The elements go back further then Wicca so don't worry if you feel the need to honor them.

Comment

Working...
                          X