(super)hero vs mythic hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: (super)hero vs mythic hero

If they were really going for diversity, then they would have picked Mogo the Living Planet. I'm still waiting for the Mogo movie.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

I wouldn't be too opposed to some pop culture witchcraft, depending on what we're using. And things like Tarot spreads I could imagine using, again depending on what we're using.

Hm. A Tarot spread using the pantheon of angels in Kushiel's Legacy would be interesting.

If anyone's curious: http://popculturespellbook.tumblr.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
        I wouldn't be too opposed to some pop culture witchcraft, depending on what we're using. And things like Tarot spreads I could imagine using, again depending on what we're using.

Hm. A Tarot spread using the pantheon of angels in Kushiel's Legacy would be interesting.

Challenge accepted. I might try and make one today...

Also, I've browsed that tumblr before - interesting site!

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          I believe Thalasssa wrote: "So... for me, ..." Which indicates a personal feeling or attitude about the matter, but certainly is NOT indicative the sweeping generalization that all who feel differently are elitists.

Words have meaning - in context. Context matters.
          Yeah, yeah I got the context. Want to be treated fairly do the same.

Comment

In my personal Tarot notes, I affiliate cards w/characters on t.v., from books & other media sources. It never felt out of place to throw modern cultural items into the Universal Filing Cabinet known as the Tarot, lol.

A couple of examples - for The Fool, I've got Pipkin (Watership Down), Ben Hawkins (from the series Carnival), and Andy & Douglas Fargo (from Eureka). As The Chariot, I've got Speed Racer and Tony Stark. Stark is also sitting on The Emperor - he's just that multi-faceted.
            The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ula View Post
              Again here it is. We don't think the same so your an elitist.
              Actually, no. I don't think that the opinion that one's gods are real and others are fake are what is actually elitist. Nor do I think elitism is necessarily bad. So really, don't put extra meaning into my words that isn't there.

I think the idea that one's gods are legitimate, and another's are not (for _________ reasons) is a perfectly valid opinion and I think that, done well, could be well-constructive criticism. I don't agree with it, but my agreement isn't the point---its a perfectly reasonable position that many people around the world have. The problem is that most of these blogs aren't done well. "My gods are REAL, and yours are FAKE" (I wish I could find the blog, because that's pretty darn close to the actual wording) is effing sophomoric...it isn't well constructive criticism, nor is it a usefully expressed opinion.

What is elitist is holding someone that believes differently than you (universal you, not you-you) to your standard of orthodoxy. There is nothing wrong with having personal standards of belief, or with having (or adhering to) standards to a specific tradition...but when you apply them globally, to people that you know very well don't share the same orthodoxy (or orthopraxy for that matter), its a bit counter productive. I could care less about what you believe, I could care less about what you practice...I do give a damn how you express it.

...and in that case, I'm happy to be elitist.
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

While I don't do so myself, I understand generally why a person would; particularly when it comes to Chaos Magic concepts of thoughtforms. And I understand (and have even blogged about) the differences and similarities of fiction and mythology. So I totally get it, and if someone wants to do that, they can. Really, I have no beef with it.

It's just not my bag, personally. I have some very specific theological reasons for doing so. But, that's my belief, and it's not my place to shoot down someone else's.

Originally posted by PsykhikosAnarchosNautikos View Post
                I've been watching Justice League on Netflix and noticed Green Lantern was black and just heard about Hawk Girl. I was talking to a friend about this, and was like, who's John Stewart (Green Lantern)
                Actually, John Stewart has been present since the early 1970s. One of, like, five or six different Green Lanterns involved in Earth.
                I guess Hawk Girl was originally Hawk Man
                Nope. Though I do like the metaphor you used. But, no, Hawkgirl and Hawkman have always been two different characters.
                Last edited by Louisvillian; 02 Jun 2013, 00:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Louisvillian View Post
                  Nope. Though I do like the metaphor you used. But, no, Hawkgirl and Hawkman have always been two different characters.
                  My friend told me that Hawk Girl was Hawk Man, but I only read Batman, Superman, Spawn and Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, random stuff that my dad gave me and Promethea recently (anybody that is interested in the link of occultism with comic books, this is a great comic book by Alan Moore). I grew up on the X-Men, Spider Man, and DBZ cartoons, but I never had the money for comics as a kid. All my comics were hand me downs.

I think the best thing about mixing media with magic or even slight religious overtones is they both evoke a feeling you may not get anywhere else. I use Sam and Dean Winchester as archetypes of the modern mythic heroes and the brothers journey. They represent strength, courage, rebirth and some campy humor. That is the best thing about fiction with religious/magical overtones is there is often comedy involved in the stories and presentation of the characters.

Not only fiction as archetypes, but real people can also lend a hand in psychological magic, of course I only use them as muses, not in actual works of magic (hence the psychology part). Lindsey Stirling is my artistic muse (musical and otherwise) and Bruce Lee is my martial arts muse, for example.

Comment

I found a few ideas of deity from a few books interesting and have thought about them quite a bit (without actually using them). Things I've thought of are:

"Doni" from Jean M Auel's earth children's series. She is the earth mother (for one tribe) and specifically I use it as the name of one of my goddess statues. That statue is my "Doni".

Been reading and watching a lot of Game of Thrones and think the concepts of the 7 gods, vs the old gods is interesting. Old gods being the unnamed nature spirits that are a part of everything (kinda like what I believe in a way), and the 7 new ones as the maiden, mother, crone (familiar so far), warrior, father, smith and stranger (the seldom worshiped 'death' god). I just think its all a very interesting way of looking at it.

Even if it does all come from books.

not that these are superheroes, but I thought it was related.
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I made one a while ago: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread...highlight=Elua

Comment

Working...
                      X