Anti-Gay Bakeries Are Very Inconsistent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anti-Gay Bakeries Are Very Inconsistent

So...they're not only bigots, they're hypocrites. Mind you, I think privately-owned businesses should be allowed to discriminate if they want to, but this is just funny.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Re: Anti-Gay Bakeries Are Very Inconsistent

Originally posted by Clive View Post
    http://www.wweek.com/portland/articl...cake_wars.html

So...they're not only bigots, they're hypocrites. Mind you, I think privately-owned businesses should be allowed to discriminate if they want to, but this is just funny.
    Hypocrisy! This whole thing is.... Deliciously ironic. I'm glad that thing little covert operation was done, the picking and choosing nature of these people is ludicrous. But then again, I bet they wear mixed-polymer clothes and eat shellfish already, so yeah.
    Now I want to get my girlfriend a solstice cake. XD
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I want two tiny identical cakes.

CLONE ME SOME CAKES!

Mostly art.

Comment

This is even funnier to me because I have had some of these same discussions with people.
        If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

Does this really surprise anyone? I've never met a single bigot that cited religion as a reason and actually followed all their supposed beliefs. People are accepting until they find something they don't like, since it's socially unacceptable to be hateful of something specific for no reason they seek a justification.
          Circe

Comment

The words "Anti-Gay Bakeries" made me laugh...not sure why :P
            There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
            William Wordsworth

Comment

Oh noes! Its teh anti gay bakeries. Whats next? Anti gay flower shops? Where does the insanity end?

This is not news. The owners have a right to refuse service. They did so. Now, if I was in the area I'd open up a bakery (and flower shop) catering to gays and corner the market....and then everyone could be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                This is not news. The owners have a right to refuse service. They did so. Now, if I was in the area I'd open up a bakery (and flower shop) catering to gays and corner the market....and then everyone could be happy.
                This was totally my first thought.

However in Oregon, the bakeries (or flower shops,) don't actually have the right to refuse to serve gay couples, I think that's the only reason the lawsuits are even remotely valid, otherwise I would agree, let the bigots be bigots, and open a cake shop next door.
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                  Oh noes! Its teh anti gay bakeries. Whats next? Anti gay flower shops? Where does the insanity end?

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                  This was totally my first thought.

However in Oregon, the bakeries (or flower shops,) don't actually have the right to refuse to serve gay couples, I think that's the only reason the lawsuits are even remotely valid, otherwise I would agree, let the bigots be bigots, and open a cake shop next door.
                  You guys both have kinda missed the point. It's well within the companies rights to refuse gays, it's true. The point being made was that if the refusal is being made on grounds of 'things that go against nature ie. christianity' then they should also refuse stem cell research, abortion, divorce, among other issues. But they were totally cool with it. Just the gays, but man, cloning your divorced sister's aborted fetus? SWEET, that'll be $29.95, please.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                    You guys both have kinda missed the point. It's well within the companies rights to refuse gays, it's true. The point being made was that if the refusal is being made on grounds of 'things that go against nature ie. christianity' then they should also refuse stem cell research, abortion, divorce, among other issues. But they were totally cool with it. Just the gays, but man, cloning your divorced sister's aborted fetus? SWEET, that'll be $29.95, please.
                    This. They can refuse whoever they want for all I care. The point is that these same people have probably claimed to be opposed to divorce, abortion and such things, but will cater to such events while refusing to serve a gay wedding. It's hypocritical. And amusing. And chocolately.
                    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                    -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                      No I totally get the point myself. But if someone has the right to refuse service, don't they have a right to be a hypocrite too? Could aslo be that after the hullaballo over the gay marriage refusal, they don't want to appear totally fundamental and insensitive, and are attempting not to discriminate on anything else... Or they are hypocrites, but they are already closed minded assholes, what do we really expect? Non-hypocritical closed minded assholes? Nah, I just can't be surprised by hypocracy anymore.

ON another note, now want to see someone clone their divorced sister's aborted fetus, using stem cells! I am way too easily distracted...
                      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

The thing about people having the right to this or that, yes they do. So what? That protects them from the legal consequences, not the social ones.

If a company has bigoted practices then that is very much news worthy, perhaps not top of the hour or front page news, but it is definitely something the people have an interest in knowing. Certainly has more journalistic integrity than gossip about celebrities.

They have the right to do as they wish within the law, as do we. So, yeah they can be discriminant about who they serve and we can be just as discriminant about where we are serviced.
                        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                          The thing about people having the right to this or that, yes they do. So what? That protects them from the legal consequences, not the social ones.

If a company has bigoted practices then that is very much news worthy, perhaps not top of the hour or front page news, but it is definitely something the people have an interest in knowing. Certainly has more journalistic integrity than gossip about celebrities.

They have the right to do as they wish within the law, as do we. So, yeah they can be discriminant about who they serve and we can be just as discriminant about where we are serviced.
                          This. People boycott companies for how they act socially/environmentally all the time, whether what the company is doing is legal or not. Especially since, legally, at least in the US (and to some degree, Canada, not sure about the rest of the world) companies are given strange amounts of leniency, legally speaking. It is up to us, as consumers, to decide whether we want to support companies based on what we know about them, and, as such, this sort of thing is very much news.
                          My Tumblr
                          My Webcomic
                          My Twitter

Comment

Hypocrisy from those you disagree with is ever so Sweet​ (It's a pun, because it is a bakery. Get it?)
                            Overt optimism and overt cynicism are both equally horrendous to my senses. Having a perfectly balanced view of the world only slightly less so. By goddess have an opinion, but kindly avoid blaring it like a wide-eyed idealist or a suicidal Goth.

Comment

Working...
                            X