Original Artemis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Artemis

I am currently researching the stories and concepts of Artemis (my favourite Goddess) and was wondering if anyone has any online resources that point more towards what the original understanding of her was (before she was associated with the moon etc). Or perhaps someone who has studied her extensively could converse with me?

Thanks in advance
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Re: Original Artemis

The question I have is which persona of Artemis are you referring to? Her greatest association with the moon lies in her Olympian persona. Her fertility aspect lies mostly with her Ephesian aspect. Though there is some cross over with regard to her temple at Sardis with her brother and temple at Jerash in present day Jordan. As a wilderness goddess a lot of it lies in her Arcadian aspect which is believed to be older than her Olympian aspect and heavily associated with the nymphs and such. Parts of her huntress aspect tie into her Agrotera persona which ties into both her Olympian persona but also her persona as Cynthia. Aspects of the huntress persona using dogs and a spear connects her to Bendis a Thracian goddess who is conflated with her. Her blood and foreign aspect ties into her Taurian persona with Iphegenia (sp) and High Priestess Hecate which is transferred into her Athenian aspect at Barungia (sp) (think of her Bear Maidens), Her Spartan aspect as Orthia (Blood rites with boys stealing the cheese or exotic dance by girls in her honor) and her influence upon Arcian Diana via the story of Orestes for all aspect derived from her Taurian persona. This also ties into her Caryitidas (sp) aspect in other parts of Lakodeania (sp). Possibly giving rise to the Carytid (sp) pillars that are formed with a female holding a basket upon her head. Her Ortygia aspect ties her to Syracuse, the Island of Delos but also ties her to Ephesos / Ephesus and a later alternative birth place being in Ephesus vice upon the island of Delos on Mount Cynthia.

Those just off the top of my head which doesn't touch upon her associations with Hecate, Bast, Pahket, her Bryzantium (sp) role or the many other persona's she held through out various parts of Anatolia (modern Turkey).

Forgive the mis-spellings as it's late and ive been up for quite a few hours due to my back and the pain pills are not working tonight. Will be glad to discuss Artemis and the various persona's I have encountered for her.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Hmmm...I am of the understanding that her original persona in ancient greece didnt actually include the moon but depicted her as the twin sister of Apollo and huntress of the wilds. I read that she was later associated with Selene which is where the moon aspect got attached to her. I understand that other similar goddesses were also meshed with the stories around her which confuses things.
      There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
      William Wordsworth

Comment

A lot of her early references in literature speak of her golden chariot, golden hinds or other golden things associated with her which tend to suggest a solar goddess of some sort. Later she becomes conflated with the moon but I've seen some debate that conflation is due more to Apollo being the sun there fore Artemis has to be the moon. Parts of that owing to the eternal twins mythology, especially the moon and sun pairing. Of course being seen as the moon she then assumes aspects of the moon from Selene, mostly the new or full moon period while Hecate / Hekate assumes the dark moon period while the moon as a whole stays with Selene.

The point of Artemis being a Greek divinity is sort of interesting when you consider the Trojan War. She sides with the Trojans as does her brother Apollo. Which suggests she may actually be an Anatolian goddess vice a Greek goddess. When you look at the siding of the gods / goddesses it appears on the surface to be the forming of the Olympian pantheon and re-structuring of powers and such. Even supported somewhat by Artemis' interference with the sailing of the Greek fleet towards the Trojan homeland and connecting to the Taurian persona via Igphenia (sp).

The earliest suggestion of a Greek Artemis I find is the Arcadian Artemis who appears to be an adult woman and highly connected to the woodlands. In that capacity it is mostly references to forest type nymphs that I've found references to.

Though I do think that menstural cycle and archaic moon associations are also what tied her to the moon. I've read a few accounts that suggest's Artemis stays with girls until they either "Bleed" for the first time via monthly cycle or first birth. After such condition they are passed to Hera or Demeter. Yet archaic beliefs tied it to transition from child to adult and equated with moon cycle. It does tie Artemis to the creation of "Restless Dead" who are women who were unable to transition from child to adult within the social context of ancient Greece. Creating the type known as Aoaoi I think it was.

Sorry we're in the process of moving so most of my books and such are packed up so this is coming off the top of my head.

Comment

My own advice - since Artemis is really a massive subject - is to begin with an aspect that interests you. I've known some people begin with the archery aspect and explore from there. (it's actually quite interesting - especially the links between Taxus (the yew) and Toxic. You can link Artemis with just about anything in the ancient world if you look hard enough. It can be very confusing and can make you feel you've just stepped in the path of a scattergun.

My own advice would be : Use original sources wherever possible, and then explore those (their context, various translations etc.) There are plenty of these online. Beware of some claims though, such as the poisoned arrows used on the children of Niobe - because there aren't any ancient references to this, although everyone assumes it happens because Artemis was closely associated with poison arrows.

And best of luck!
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
            My own advice - since Artemis is really a massive subject - is to begin with an aspect that interests you.
            That i'd highly endorse as an prime option and perspective.

..You can link Artemis with just about anything in the ancient world if you look hard enough. It can be very confusing and can make you feel you've just stepped in the path of a scattergun.
            bolded mine. The attempt to connect Artemis to everything and anything has created a lot of issues or assumptions I think. Especially when trying to fit her into a personal perspective that supports ones own assumptions or desires. The feminist usage of her persona and aspects during the 70's and early 80's really a bad one as Artemis seldom if ever performed as they portrayed her in any ancient literature, especially as patron of women when nearly all her cults indicate only till about 13 which was marrying age or first blood. The later association with birthing being for either a painless one or quick death considering the mortatility rate during birth. Yet that also marked the transistion phase from child to adult in Hellenic society.

Which is really ironic when you consider a lot of her earliest lore connects her to men, battle, justice and warrior cast not girls at both Athens and Sparta. It's also one of the reason's she conflated with Diana so easily I think at Aracia and Rome.

My own advice would be : Use original sources wherever possible, and then explore those (their context, various translations etc.) There are plenty of these online. Beware of some claims though, such as the poisoned arrows used on the children of Niobe - because there aren't any ancient references to this, although everyone assumes it happens because Artemis was closely associated with poison arrows.
            I've seen suggests that Niobe's own pride and polluted (miasma) body is what some claim to be the source of the poison used to kill her daughters. That being the poison that killed and corrupted them from thier mother but also potentially caused them to become restless dead as they never made the transistion into a Greek woman via marriage and giving birth. So in a sense they would have been killed by poison arrow's diped in their mother's miasma just not the typical poison as associated with sorcery / enchantments.

Comment

Working...
            X