Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's for sure - Big Brother is watching you!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's for sure - Big Brother is watching you!

Everybody's worst nightmare has come to pass.

Assume that somebody is ALWAYS listening in on your conversations. They even access your credit card info!

NSA! Do you here me now?

Fuck off!

NSA Prism Data Mining Is All Up In Ur Microsoft, Yahoo, Google, Facebook, PalTalk, AOL, Skype, YouTube, Apple
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Re: It's for sure - Big Brother is watching you!

This is no surprise to me. And, I'd like to feel pissed about it, but its pretty much been going on on some level for.ever. I just...well, I'm more worried about food right now. Like...do I have enough money for 2 weeks worth of groceries AND day care? TBH, my convos aren't so interesting that I'm worried about the FBI or some other alphabet soup agency coming knocking. And if/when we get to the point of my being persecuted for being on a watch list because I have a vagina or I hug trees, I think we'll be well beyond worrying about data mining.

TBH, (in abstract) I mind Big Brother data mining less than Big Business...
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Do I object? yep

Do I consider it a violation of Fourth Amendment protections? Hell Yes

Do I expect that sone analyst is reading everything any of us say? No

The net is rather large and the NSA has finite manpower so while in theory, they've got access, in practice there is only so much time in a day so most of us won't be having an analyst look at our stuff in detail
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        Do I object? yep

Do I consider it a violation of Fourth Amendment protections? Hell Yes

Do I expect that sone analyst is reading everything any of us say? No

The net is rather large and the NSA has finite manpower so while in theory, they've got access, in practice there is only so much time in a day so most of us won't be having an analyst look at our stuff in detail
        I believe most of it is automated, with computer "analysts" scanning through for certain key phrases, and such. The actual human analysts only come in when certain parameters are tripped, which narrows it down considerably so that there ARE man hours enough for it. But what those key phrases are of course is anyone's guess. Personally I'm certain there are some totally far-fetched ones thrown in there. Bunk psychology, and such. The government having shown itself to be thoroughly out of touch with reality many times, after all.

It's been going on long before anyone decided to point it out. The public's a little slow on the uptake. It does bother me some days since I found out years ago, but I realize, what the hell is anyone going to do about it, really? Some of the citizenry will bitch and moan and then it'll just continue on as usual - I mean really, if they gave a single rat's butt what any of us thought they wouldn't be doing it in the first place. If we think we have any say in our total lack of privacy, we're absolutely kidding ourselves.

Comment

key phrases such as,

Bomb, Parliment, US senate, Obama, Pay For crimes against Islam, Friday 7.32, 82 bus, Explosive, BOMBOMBOMBOMBOMBOMBOMB

*waves* heylo mr NSA man

Comment

add in words about ethnics as well and its set. I expect this to change who knows what. But not surprising.

Comment

The last time this came up was a program called "Carnivore" that came out sometime in the late 90's. A big story that ended up being dismantled because of public anger. The real truth about this program was it was just renamed and continued. The Government said "Carnivore" was dead,but in truth it just went deeper into the Governments closet of secret stuff.

See here:
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

While I'm pretty sure that this won't have any effect on me, I find it enormously troubling that all this data is being collected.

Suppose it is only being used to catch terrorists NOW -

Once Americans (and the entire world) gets used to being permanently accessible to government agencies peeking in our windows, what might this be used for in the future? (I got nothing to hide at home, but if I caught somebody looking in my window, there'd be hell to pay... same thing...)

Remember that there is NO REAL oversight as to what data is gathered, or how it is being used.

The project is called "Prism" because everything that goes over the internet - like your email - goes FIRST to the NSA, is split into two copies, one of which goes on to it's intended destination, and the other goes into NSA data base.

Think of the future, friends...
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                  This is no surprise to me. And, I'd like to feel pissed about it, but its pretty much been going on on some level for.ever. I just...well, I'm more worried about food right now. Like...do I have enough money for 2 weeks worth of groceries AND day care?
                  This was the reaction I had when I first heard about it, along with, "Ha! Now maybe people will stop asking me why I have the camera on my laptop covered all the time!"

It is something I'm very concerned about, and HAVE been concerned about, for a while. The problem is, when I heard this story, I suddenly just felt tired. There's so much to worry about - not just my own personal issues, like paying the bills and raising the kids, but all the big issues, like global warming and Monsanto putting patents on (and poison in) all the food.

Maybe this is why we're all dropping dead of heart attacks. We have the technology to be aware of every awful thing that's happening but the human limitations to be able to do nothing about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Raphaeline View Post
                    This was the reaction I had when I first heard about it, along with, "Ha! Now maybe people will stop asking me why I have the camera on my laptop covered all the time!"
                    Are you familiar with "Ratters"?

Is your webcam spying on you?

Everybody should keep that little eye on their computer covered...

Comment

My personal problem with this stuff is that I am always looking up sketchy things. Because I'm a writer who obsesses about realism I look up things like the effects of gunshot and sword wounds on the human body and how much black powder it would take to blow up a flagship. That's actually some of the tamer things I've studied, I've actually looked through coroner's reports and literature for trauma surgeons.

There's also the research I did some weeks ago when I was posting about rape as not being inherently evil.

Going on my google search history alone, I would say I was a deeply disturbed individual. Not that I wouldn't say that given the larger picture, mind you.
                      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

OK - here's the rub...

If Denarius is on a watch list, that means everybody HERE can be legitimately investigated by the NSA. The so-called "rules" allow for "investigating" everybody up to two removes from him - i.e.: everybody with whom he communicates (us, here at PF, plus all the others he may be in communication with - first remove), and everybody with whom we communicate (second remove). This probably gives the NSA a "legitimate" reason investigate several thousand people, without any form of legal oversight - if they so choose...

Comment

Given the social media network, that number would at the very least be in the millions. Depending on how you qualify communication at least.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Yup - I understated...

Comment

HAHAHAHa and everyone in the world is connected to each other by three so thats everyone in the world covefred :P, but i know what you mean danarius, i did a short story about WMD's and i hate to think how much i flagged up on the NSA page when looking up "how to make suitcase bombs" hahaha ah well, or when i talk to my friends online about my idea of the perfect government shrugs aslong as you dont/arent doing anything actually against the law then let em watch its not a problem really is it,

Comment

Working...
                              X