Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Brief History of Runes

AN INTRODUCTION TO RUNES
    Or: A Very, VERY, VERY Brief History Of Runes (Abridged)

The word rune

as

Foremost among the Aesir is Odin, the one-eyed All-Father, chief of the Gods of the Northlands. Odin discovered the runes amongst the roots of the World Tree, Yggdrasil, as he hung for nine nights & nine days, suspended head down, having sacrificed himself to Himself.

There are several different sets of runes. These are called futharks (or futhorcs), from the phonetic sounds of the first six runes in each set. The oldest of these, dating from at least the 1st century Common Era, is the 24-rune Elder, (or Germanic) Futhark. It was used over much of northern Europe until around 800 C.E. The 16-rune Younger (or Norse, or Viking) Futhark was used from around 800-1100 C.E., mostly in Scandinavia & Iceland. The Anglo-Saxon (or Frisian) Futhorc, with 26 to 33 runes, was used primarily in the British Isles from about 750-1100 C.E.

armanenHavamal (The Sayings of the High One), from The Poetic Edda. Fraternitas Saturni and the Ordo Templi Orientis.

Excerpted from RUNE CHARMS: Practical Applications of Rune Magoc Vol I Rick R. Wilson
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Re: A Brief History of Runes

Very nice read, very informative, and well cited. Thanks for the post!

Comment

Working...
    X