Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

small post size limit, and prevention of subsequent posts?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

small post size limit, and prevention of subsequent posts?

The post size limit seems to be 10000 characters or something--9.7 KB, or less than five pages on the computer screens that were standard for the longest. It is a very short size for a forum, and when you cannot post again after you have posted, it is problematic. I used to do 30 KB posts on listservs and other forums and saw people do posts that size or longer... and if someone replies to everything you say, it can become longer.

I am saying this because in 'the great debate section' I started a thread called 'general Western philosophy debate' or something. The current restriction is inhibiting what people can say. Obviously a philosophy discussion could get very long, and 30 KB by one person, or twice that if someone replies to everything you say, is not unreasonable if you are philosophical... as a forum which I though is about saying all that you want and people just reading what they want, other than in the chat room--which are designed to say less, but that is not the purpose of forums, and as a site that includes Hellenismos, which I could call synonymous with philosophy, or Western philosophy, it just seems, again, a very short limit... Plato was known to have dialogues of 500+ pages... now, I am not saying I would even have the strength to post 30 or 20 KB of my own words much anymore, though it would be interesting if the thread got to 500 pages.

If this was a site by religions that say 'do not question God (or the scripture,)' i.e. do not get into big ideas unless you are in the establishment and do it in their way, such as a site that said, to paraphrase Martin Luther 'reason is the devil's whore,' then I would see a reason to restrict discussion... but remember, the original idea that discussion/dialectic/debate was a good thing came from the first rationalist & dialectical pagan religion--Hellenismos--which founded serious philosophy, so people should be able to discuss philosophy in such a context in-depth at a place that is appropriate.

Right now I have about 2 KB more of stuff for that philosophy debate thread... the discussion seemed to just start going to me being confused by the other participant a lot, and her/him not saying as much as me, so I wanted to say that and then pose some new questions, but now I cannot, because not only is there a surprisingly short limit for a forum, bit since it combines posts done in a certain time and measures them, people are prevented from saying as much as they can in any thread... again, this is a philosophy thread, which of course would be long, and is on a forum, the first type of 'net place designed for long discussion (because it can involve lots of people, or replies in each reply,) and it just seems unfortunate.

Though maybe I said a lot for this post or you could say I said a lot in the philosophy one (but maybe not all my others,) I am actually a laconophile. If I made a 30 KB post, I would probably spend an entire day on it, and even just ones of several KB sometimes now I have spent many hours on them. If I did not do so, my posts would be much more verbose, and sometimes up to twice as long because of inefficiency... so though I admit that sometimes I ramble, I am doing so much more efficiently than I used to in the past. There is not much I can do about that but ask that something be done about the restriction... obviously, if people do not like long discussion, for one thing they will stay away from philosophy threads, and for another, they will probably just give up on other threads (or at least members) or parts that have long posts, and maybe just go to the chat room more than the forum area.
    Last edited by demon; 07 Jun 2013, 21:25.

Re: small post size limit, and prevention of subsequent posts?

Post size limits have come up in the past few days from another poster. The issue has been tossed into the staff section and is waiting for an admin decision. In the meantime, the second post is prevented because the site tries to automerge two subsequent posts by the same user and the automerge fails if the end post goes over the size limit. Automerge turns off after about an hour if memory serves and you should be able to toss the second post up fine once that happens.

- - - Updated - - -

tossed a breaker post after your last comment, just add the rest into a new post after mine.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Part of the reason for this is because we've had spamming issues in the past. And, WALL OF TEXT is darn annoying anyhow, which makes WALL OF TEXT Spam particularly irritating. And, to be honest, the problem of people with too long of post counts is really the lesser of two evils...because it *normally* rarely happens, and when it does, it can be dealt with fairly easily.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks, MaskedOne.

Comment

Yeah dude. I'm not gonna lie. I didn't read this whole post.

You know why? Because tl;dr. That's why we have a post count.

and because of spammers.

Mostly art.

Comment

Sorry, but I'm not going to increase the character count per post. The limit is primarily in place because, as thalassa mentioned already, it has been an issue with spammers in the past. The staff here work very hard trying to keep spam off the boards. This is one of the restrictions that will have to be tolerated.
            Character limits have otherwise not been an issue in the past and the handful of times in the last 3 years that it was an inconvenience, it was very easily taken care of by the mods.
            �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Working...
            X