Ninjutsu!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninjutsu!

I am obsessed with Ninjutsu. I do not have any formal training. I simply just watch instructional DVDs. Its not the same as training live, but nonetheless it is useful and gives me confidence.

Here is a good instructional
    http://youtu.be/K953USeMMFo Combat Ninjutsu

Does anyone else train with Ninjutsu or any other martial art? If so why did you choose your particular art.

Ong Thung Thunoraya nama

Re: Ninjutsu!

I've studied several styles myself and mixed and matched, mostly trying to find what fits for me instead of trying to leap off walls and so on. It's a good path to devote oneself too for health reasons alone. Nicely done.

For me its https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mn37cj3GdKU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI5DASHCftE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNAyaQLgjnI as random examples. How long have you been studying? I started in uhm.. 2000 and it's been something, often hard but usually worth it for the self strength.
    Last edited by StormBringer; 09 Jun 2013, 09:46.

Comment

Never trained, but I used to be interested in taking it up. I just couldn't find a school in my area. My interest was for all the wrong reasons though. I was an obsessive Yoshimitsu fan (character from the Tekken and Soul Calibur video games) and very much involved in the Tekken scene (I got to rub shoulders with some very successful players and it was through my ties to this community, that I ended up dating a German guy and moving to Augsburg, so it was a massive controlling influence over my life). So, my admiration for this character, made me want to learn his fighting style (which is actually impossible as the manji style he uses is entirely fictional).

If I had more free time, I'd love to take up a martial art though. I'm so small, weak and vulnerable, that I think it would be a valuable life-skill. I did judo as a teenager and my language exchange partner is a black belt, so maybe one day, when I don't need her to help me with my Japanese anymore, she can become my personal judo sensei instead ^^
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Sounds interesting. Maybe look into Iaiado. It shares some real world basis with his blade style from Tekken, at least somewhat.

Comment

As a side note, look for the bruce lee book. Jeet Kun Do. it offers a wide array of things you can do and study.

Comment

Iaido is the art of Drawing the Sword, although some do have some interesting kata (forms). Kendo is the art of fighting with the sword (with bokken and shinai, wooden and bamboo swords respectively), rarely do they use real swords, at least in America. There are few Samurai lineage sword schools, and a lot of the Ninjutsu you get is watered down or tailor made to the instructor. Remember, ninjas were assassins and most of their knowledge was destroyed and kept secret. Even today only the highest ranking masters are allowed to study the scrolls (their are only two major schools left Iga and Koga, from the respective mountain villages- I prefer Koga because it just seems more authentic- the first video link is Iga). The second video link is not ninjutsu, it is Karate with Jujutsu elements- it's too linear and competition oriented.

Ninjas being assassins, they were skilled at arts of deception and fitting in and never went face to face with an attacker unless in the most dire of situations- face to face conflict could be seen as a failure of the ninja. This meant that if an enemy were to face them and badger them, not knowing they were ninjas, they would allow themselves to get beaten down for the sake of the mission- only if they had to would they openly use their skills- then they would just run away and send another soldier to infiltrate- they were ninja, not samurai, so the honor was different. They paid close attention and became the ideal attraction for their target before ever starting the mission, and may have company for ease of assassination and escape. Deception, being lying, trickery, illusion and strategy are the ninjas most important tools, not their martial arts- like I said in another forum- if you want authentic ninjutsu training join a Special operations unite or the CIA. Just about everything else you see is modernized fluff you can learn in Aikido, Jujutus, Kempo and most traditional kung fu schools. That's just my view from my personal studies, though.

Comment

I have only recently began practicing Taijutsu. I have some slight training in Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do (when I was younger), and a tiny bit of Jui jitsu. I feel that the value of Ninjutsu is seen in its direct combat application. It is a wise way of fighting. It doesn't try use linear western ways of fighting. It is more intercepting and dominating. The simple philosophy of each combination outlines a great combat form in the streets. When it comes down to survival we need our most primal instincts and Ninjutsu teaches you how to use all of your body as a weapon.

I found this video today with Masaaki Hatsumi and his students demonstrating Koppojutsu

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

The principles of Ninjutsu, or any ancient martial art, apply to combat situations in principle but are not good for actual combat application. It is good to have knowledge of vulnerable spots on the human body and condition your body to hurt your opponent and how best to apply pressure and pain to them in case of confrontation, but then again, these are workable principles but are applied in a way that is more aesthetically pleasing than practical. You need to fight to learn how to fight. Thousands of hours of technique practice will get you good at the technique, but you need real world combat experience to know you can apply the techniques or at least a school dedicated to free form fighting on a regular basis.

I have been studying martial arts for almost 20 years and have come across a lot of traditional performers who cannot land a devastating strike on me when I could end the fight quickly and efficiently at my choosing even though there techniques and forms were flawless and beautiful. Yet I have also come across common street fighters that can knock the wind out of me in one hit when I can barely touch them. Why is this? The traditional martial artist trains these techniques for health and fitness and uses ancient outdated theories as if to be applied today- to win an actual confrontation takes more than a couple of years of dedicated study- but more importantly, killing intent and applied (intuitive) combat strategy is what wins out in the end.

The stance that Hatsumi Sensei uses is only good for deceptive fighting- the stance is too wide for quick evasion and attack in a real world situation. Ninjutsu, much like most other traditional systems and styles, is to keep tradition and aesthetic alive, not to actually teach combat application, although many of them say (and believe) this. Combat application comes through reality based training- what you get in most martial arts schools is family oriented or geared toward spiritual progression, which is fine and this is the way I was brought up, but I also learned, from an early age, how to evade, attack, counterattack and take a solid hit from years of sparring, body conditioning and meditations on the killing intent- a lot of schools leave killing intent out. A big mistake if you want to win a physical confrontation. You can switch killing intent for survival if that makes you feel better, but they are based upon the same principle- get out of it alive, but killing intent is more direct in martial application- you are not trying to just get out alive, you are trying to get out unscathed, and this means doing WHATEVER it takes to survive- even if the persons life is on the line. Martial application on the street or battlefield comes down to this- what are you willing to do to survive?

Comment

Take a look a WMA (Western Martial Arts).

These techniques were never "sportarized," and are absolutely devastating - much like the fighting skills taught to elite military units.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Psyk I must disagree. The Ninjutsu its not just about preserving the art. I feel that it is superior to many other forms in REAL LIFE combat situations. I have not even had extensive training, but it already has taught me a lot in street applications. I would much prefer Taijutsu tactics over some other form. War is deception and so in combat you must use deception. There are numerous stances and transitions from one stance to another in Ninjutsu. Foot work is essential and speed is recommended over might. You should check out Karim Ali and his school. They teach some very effective techniques and some of his students have experienced actual combat (one even was attacked with a knife). They all came out victorious. I train for one purpose only -survival-. Nothing more nothing less. I want to be able to fight 2 3 or more guys with confidence and shut down the attackers before anything gets too out of hand. If you cannot shut the fight down within the first couple interactions then you will only exhaust your energy. You should only strike or make moves when you know for sure it will be effective.

Comment

I must ask, how do you know that it has taught you street application? Have you actually had to use it? If so, then I apologize and see that I am wrong (in this instance), but if not, there is no way you can actually know that it is truly effective until you use it in a real life situation.

Martial arts, unlike spirituality, is not a matter of opinion except the style you choose to practice and how much dedication and pain you choose to put into it. It is my opinion that Karate is better than Tae Kwon Do or Western Boxing, but in reality a Western Boxer will defeat most high level Karate or Tae Kwon Do practitioners. It is also my opinion that Shaolin Kung Fu is the best fighting style out there, but they stand no chance against Green Beret's or Spetznatz soldiers, especially with a weapon. So this applies with Ninjutsu (and most traditional styles) and street combat, unless the teacher and/or student has had real world combat experience and teaches/trains from this standpoint, such as law enforcement, military or old school street fighting.

Being in the martial arts world for so long I have met a lot of stylists that cannot fight, including the so called masters. The honest ones admit this, the others live in a fantasy world that thinks their made up or ancient techniques work on faith since they have worked so well for the ancient masters or in their own delusions. Like I said, all (most) traditional martial arts teach principles that are effective in combat such as stance, evasion and quick counter attack- I know that the main stance Bujinkan uses (what in Karate is called the back stance) is one of the worst practical stances you can use in a fight, unless you are playing "come and get me" to off balance the attacker. Other than that is fairly useless unless you are naturally faster than most people, even then, when most try to counter attack from that position they usually get caught because there is just too much distance to go through to strike with enough power to devastate the opponent (called "telegraphing"- the initial stages before attack). It is useless against multiple attackers because you are just too vulnerable.

Every style has a practitioner that can use their style in actual combat, but it is the practitioner not the style. Every traditional martial art seeks to give you the ability to defend yourself against 1-5, or even more, attackers, but this, once again, has to be physically trained thousands of times for many years with proper focus and intent- the intent to survive and end a life if need be. Most schools in America do not each this way because it just isn't good for business (legal and monetary). Even the soft styles utilize killing intent although they preach softness and fluidity of technique so neither person is actually harmed, but to make such techniques work with such eloquence takes decades of solid practice under the guidance of a traditionally trained master (which is almost sadistic in certain styles, especially in Japan and China) with other dedicated students with the same determination. If you never get hurt (not injured) and never have to actually cause (a little) pan in your martial training then you are not doing practical application, but applying principles with aesthetic appeal.

Sorry if I am sounding like a jerk, but I have seen too many people think they are tough martial artists, street fighters or can properly defend themselves because of McDojo's or styles that claim self-defense when in reality this just is not true and the students end up getting hurt because they could not defend themselves or did a technique wrong they ended up hurting themselves and/or a friend. I am not trying to be mean but telling you from first hand experience as a student, teacher and seeker of the martial arts who grew up with his instructor (my father) whose many friends were also high level martial artists. This is more of a 'be careful and take your time' (with your assumptions and wants about the practicality of Ninjutsu, or any martial style, that has not been through the modern street or battlefield countless times) not a 'you're wrong and I am right' reply.

Comment

Yes I have used it before in street application during a home invasion. It did work.

Comment

Just to add something to the debate. I was once attacked by a group of three teens who were high on drugs and looking for anyone to beat up for a laugh. I was with my ex at the time, who was skilled in Kung fu (mantis style), and he was able to overpower all three of them, without causing much physical harm to them (they were girls). He even managed to remove a knife from the hand of one girl. So.. yeah, I think these styles can have real-life application. Had I been alone, I could have been stabbed. Instead I came out with a black eye and some missing hair. Well, and an adulthood of fear to go anywhere at night, even in company. So it's had a lasting impact mentally. That part was nothing he could prevent though.
                          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Sorry that happened to you Jembru. These situations can be really scary. Especially if your opponents mean business. I am glad your ex was able to handle the situation with minimal damage to you two. I see psyc point, but just because there some martial arts punks out there doesn't mean everyone is a punk. These skills can be useful and if you train consistently it becomes second nature in real fighting situations.

Comment

That seems to have been the case for Rusty. He was always just training at the academy, sometimes attending tournaments and sometimes his team would be hired to do demonstrations at fairs and stuff, but he never needed to use it in a real life situation. Yet when he was faced with those kids, he didn't even think. It was just his natural reaction to fall back on the skills he'd developed through training.

Comment

Working...
                              X