How do you feel about your name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you feel about your name?

I hate my name. I just feel so detatched from it...

Comment

I would love my name if it was pronounced like my mother had originally planned. My grandparents (who helped me raise me) thought the name was to hard unique so they started calling it the "less fancy" way but that's okay. I've learned to really like my name now.

Comment

Originally posted by Quin7900 View Post
        Serenity is such a pretty name.
        Thanks very much.
        Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

My name used to be the thorn in my side when I was younger. I got teased so much from everyone. I even had a teacher in elementary school stop mid lesson just so she could tease me about all the birds on the hillside out our windows. She said, "Look Robin! Your family is waiting for you so that you can all fly south for the winter." I used to cry and beg my mother to let me legally change it. I even offered to give up my birthday presents one year so I could pay to have it changed. It didn't change until I was in 8th grade. That is when I truly found the beauty of my name. Now I am thankful my family couldn't decide between Susan and Rebecca when I was born. I am grateful that by a weird accident they came across my name and thought it suited me because it truly does. Sometimes it takes awhile to appreciate what you have, but now I wouldn't and can't see myself being called by any other name. My last name has always been unique and it has never bothered me. If anything, I found joy in my unique last names. I have always had to spell them out and correct someone's pronunciation of it. But to me, I would rather that than be another Smith or Miller among thousands. No offense if such is your last name. I have felt this way about my last name for my entire life....not sure why the uniqueness of my first name took so long for me to appreciate.

Comment

I have a very deep connection with my first name witch means king of kings and is of viking root coming from Eric The Red :* and who doesn't like early pirates ??

Comment

I love my first and middle names (aside from the fact that I was named after an Archie comic book character), but I hate my nickname that I got stuck with before I was even born. Apparently giving a girl a boys nickname is cute, according to my mother, but when I meet people and they ask what my name is, I get this look from them like they're thinking "are you serious?" Not to mention that she spelled it differently, but people will insist on spelling it the way it's SUPPOSED to be spelled no matter how many times I correct them. And my last name will constantly get me teased. I have accepted this, at least for the time being, which is to say until I can convince my boyfriend that he can't live without me and I can take his last name....which is much cooler than mine.

Also, I have taken to telling people than I'm named after an Elvis Costello song rather than an Archie character....definitely not as lame.

Comment

I dislike my name. I've always felt like it's wrong.

Comment

I used to really hate my name, but in the last couple of years I've learned to kinda just live with it (I'm 31). I prefer my spiritual name, but my friends will only call me by my nickname (of my legal name).

Comment

When I was younger I didn't like my real name. This was mostly because I wasn't named after anyone in my family. My mom named me after a book called 'I take thee Serenity' which is my first name, Serenity. My middle name she named me after a movie star named Alexis. I can't remember her last name. So it's Serenity Alexis. As I grew up I started to like my name because it was unique and just was something that my mother named me. I accepted it and loved it.
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

I hate my name. Old mom n pops put no thought behind it. Mom couldn't think of a better name and heard mine as a character on a soap operas name...thus here I am. Sad she can't even remember what show to.

Comment

I'm named after someone who died in a horrific car accident with her children...and the aunt that turned out to be a horrible person for reasons I don't want to go into at the moment.

BUT, I have made it my own. I do enjoy that my married last name is awesome since my maiden name was a misspelling of the original; I think possibly intentional to hide our heritage vs accidental like many other immigrants, which is weird.

Comment

I am glad you made it your own.

Comment

Once I change my sex, I will change my name.
                            I am a woman in a mans body and I hate being in the wrong body. I want out of this body. It's like a prison cell.

I used to be known as AdamKane in these parts.

Hail Satan.

Comment

I love my name.

I always got called lee - YAH as a nickname, which is fine, but Liandrian is my actual name. And I'm far older than the WoT books by Robert Jordan.

Comment

I love my name. Callum Braxton Bxxxx.

Callum was my first relative born in the New World on my mother's side, in 1715. The family had emigrated about two years prior. Callum was born in what would later become Albemarle County (1744), and I am the 9th continuous generation to have lived here. For perspective, Thomas Jefferson didn't start building Monticello until 1769. (Some of my kin squatted in Monticello way back in the 1800s.)

And Braxton is a county in West Virginia where my Dad's side of the family first settled after coming across the pond.

I didn't know the meaning of "Callum" for the longest time, as it was never in any US name books. Finally, around 15, we found it in a 20,001 names name book, directing us to Malcolm. This is wrong. :P

Around 19, I had the genius idea to Google it (duh!!!). At this point I had "peace" tattooed on me in Japanese / Chinese (its the same in both languages! go figure). So, Googled, and Callum means "Follower of Peace and, Dove." I like! (an olive branch tattoo on my right shoulder soon followed)

It got old correcting the pronunciation of it about a decade ago (Ca-lum, Ca as in cab NOT caper) along with trying to be polite when people often respond with "Oh, I've never heard that name before." (I have yet to meet another Callum, however, it was a top 10 name in the UK a few years back). So I will never name a child Callum. Overall I am quite pleased with it; I am not your typical homo sapien, so an atypical name works for me!

I also find it amusing that my automatic response when people ask for my name on the phone is to spell it for them right off the bat... it is a rare occasion when someone gets it right on the first try.

See y'all around the board.
                                -Callum

Comment

Working...
                                X