How do you feel about your name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you feel about your name?

I have a very common first name thanks to my dad naming me! He insisted I be named after two aunts of mine that both had very common names. I wanted to go by my middle name because in school there were 100 different ways to spell my first name and at least 10 girls with the same name all with different spellings! LOL! My maiden name (after adoption) was hard for others to pronounce and spell even though it is spelled like it sounds! I still have friends that call me by my maiden name instead of my first name. I am married and my last name now is not so hard to spell and pronounce.
    sigpic

Comment

I love it. My given name sounds very powerful and important. My first name is also usually used as a last name so for awhile it was unique. However I looked on a name trending website and my name is now used this years newborns so maybe not so unique after all.

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post
        Hate my real life first name. It's a super common name... with a misspelling. It gets old repeating the same "with an i" or "with a K" or "with an S" or whatever... and then people still misspell it. Although I venture to argue that my parents are the ones with the spelling challenge, not other people.

I have had multiple last names since I was born--and only 1 of those changes was my choice.

I hadn't liked any of my last names (or either of my first names).

The problem with names is that they're given to us and then we're stuck with them for a lifetime. We should get to choose a new first name at age 18. Or at least it should be easier to fix your parents' stupidity if they name you something like the twins we knew as kids that almost ended up Boots and Saddles. The doctor, fortunately, put an end to that one by saying he refused to sign the BC until they changed it to something the kids wouldn't be tortured for, for life. Good on him.
        Oh I agree! I hate my first name, briana, I'm constantly correcting people on the spelling and pronunciation as it's spelled the most unpopular way and pronounced in the most uncommon way (Bri-ON-uh rather the common Bri-Ann-uh). That and it irks me how it's a male name with an 'a' slapped on at the end.
        I'd love to change my name. I do feel for the newer generations of people trying to name their kids to be 'individual' and 'unique', I've met a girl named Amayzin and another named A-a (pronounced Adasha), as well as a J (that's his full first name..)

But otherwise I love my middle name, Celene. It means "heaven; the moon", and I'd love if I could be called that but I'm too shy to ever ask/correct anyone

Comment

I hate my name with a fiery burning passion. It's too girly and 'elegant' and there are too many crazies (hardcore, I mean the ones that thought bathing in virgin blood would make them immortal) that share the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Naiad View Post
            I hate my name with a fiery burning passion. It's too girly and 'elegant' and there are too many crazies (hardcore, I mean the ones that thought bathing in virgin blood would make them immortal) that share the same.
            That's too bad. I think Elizabeth is a pretty name.....yes, I know who the virgin blood woman is, though the rumor is she bathed in it, not drank it. Still nuts though.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post
              That's too bad. I think Elizabeth is a pretty name.....yes, I know who the virgin blood woman is, though the rumor is she bathed in it, not drank it. Still nuts though.
              I figured that someone would :P. And that's what I said! But anyway it just causes people to have quite a few misconceptions about me that are irritating. I don't like being held to those pretty and dainty standards that everyone seems to connect with my name here. And my nickname makes me sound like a big, beefy viking woman because it ranks up there with Olga and Helga (yes, I know not everyone with those names is big, beefy, and viking, but you get my point).

How many of her maids did she kill again? Upwards of 40 for sure, yes?

Comment

I used to hate my name Cody,

but it grows on me :/

Comment

I sorta wish my name did not have an extra letter in it, which no one can understand ever... at all, and apparently makes my name UN-pronounceable... What are the telemarketers going to try and call me today?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Naiad View Post
                  I figured that someone would :P. And that's what I said! But anyway it just causes people to have quite a few misconceptions about me that are irritating. I don't like being held to those pretty and dainty standards that everyone seems to connect with my name here. And my nickname makes me sound like a big, beefy viking woman because it ranks up there with Olga and Helga (yes, I know not everyone with those names is big, beefy, and viking, but you get my point).

How many of her maids did she kill again? Upwards of 40 for sure, yes?
                  My mother's middle name was elizabeth, and everyone calls her Beth... which is odd because her first name is just as short... And i never associated Beth with big and beefy, I guess I associated it with my mother...
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I'm a big beefy viking woman. I don't see how that an insult.

Comment

I hated being called by my middle name, Nicole, when I was a child. There were seven "Nicole"s in my age group and I always got stuck being called "Nicky". I really, really hated that. I couldn't even go by "Nick" because there was a Nick already. By college though I was in a new state with none of my old friends so I just stopped correcting my teachers and started going by my first name. It was lovely, until my old life and my new one sort of mixed together. Everyone was confused, some would call me "Jenee" and others "Nicole". So, as a result of my silliness, I now go by the whole thing and everyone just uses it like a double name. I'm good with this since I'm from the south and lots of people have double names there.

Comment

what my name...Christopher...I mean come on...

how ....Inacurate....

why not a good AngloSaxon name - Aethelhere... I like that far more

Comment

I am quite connected to my first and surname. I feel like it does go along with who I am really well. My first name is Skyler which means Scholar in hebrew. my surname means Crown in irish. but has a latin spelling twist to it. So for all I know, my ancestors were royalty on either the irish side or the roman side. but I doubt it :P

Comment

Working...
                          X