How do you feel about your name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you feel about your name?

All my names no body spells right and only the middle name they say correctly (it's Latin with an American twist - a 'Y' instead of an 'I'). It means 'milestone' (my middle name is what most people know me as- actually, I am recognized more often as two nicknames- on my old friends still call me and the other my mother, brother and their cities friends call me). I was named after a firefighter my father went to school with.

My first name means 'to stop a spear' (it is the same kanji for 'budo' or 'way of the warrior') and my last name means 'base of the shrine' and my first and last name are closely related to an old school ronin and philosopher.

So, I love my name, but I used not like to use my first name because I got picked on quite a bit for it. Then I got serious about my martial training, but I am still referred to with my middle name because I had gotten so used to it. Plus, I don't speak the language and am born and raised American, so I don't feel right running around with a traditional Japanese name, especially in martial arts circles (forum names don't count because of the principle of anonymity- at least that is my excuse).

Comment

Originally posted by Py9 View Post
      Wow, that's interesting actually- all of us who hates our name for being difficult and weird and easy to miss spell, still keep it for some reason. I, personally will never change my name, in the last few years I just like that it's long and agonizing to pronounce.
      I'm finally reaching a point where I have the $200 - $300 dollars extra to throw away on a name change. It's only taken me 40 years, lol.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

I've a really simple common name with a stupid spelling. I don't know why my mom threw an extra letter in it, but when I was younger I used to get really bent out of shape at the things people used to call me. I had one teacher that would add "with an e" on the end of my name every bloody time she said it. I had another teacher who refused to pronounce it correctly, because it was spelled wrong, and I would get into trouble for correcting her, and that eventually devolved into me screaming and shouting about it and being removed from the classroom.
        When I get phone calls and people ask if "so-and-so-crazy-name-that-makes-no-sense" is here, I always say "no one by that name lives here, or anywhere" and hang up the phone, cause it annoys me. It is one extra letter it does not mean that there are 3 new syllables added to the bloody thing.
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
          I'm finally reaching a point where I have the $200 - $300 dollars extra to throw away on a name change. It's only taken me 40 years, lol.
          And? You're going to change it? Do you know what you'll change it for?
          I always thought that if I'll change my name it will be to Eve, that's my grandmother's name which i'm called after (my parents added a letter to the hebrew Eve and changed it's meaning).
          It also lacks the hard to pronounce letters in hebrew, in case I'll moved somewhere else.

Comment

I've never especially loved my name...but I've had it for too long, with no idea of what I would call myself otherwise, to bother doing anything about it.

What I really dislike especially though, is my middle name.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I feel my first name is very private and I go by Rafe IRL. I don't know why, but I feel naked when I have to tell a stranger my real first name.

Comment

Lol, I'll always think of you as Rafe, Juni as Juni, V as V, and Des as Des....no matter how long I've known ya'lls first names!!
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

And you're always going to be Thal to me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Lol, I'll always think of you as Rafe, Juni as Juni, V as V, and Des as Des....no matter how long I've known ya'lls first names!!
                    Ditto. I know all your guys' first names (even you, Rafe) but...it's weird to use them. And funnily enough, I actually respond to V IRL, even though it has nothing to do with my real name.

I'm in the common-but-hard-to-spell boat for names, too. I hated my name when I was little, (that includes the spelling of my first name, and middle and last name) and I refused to acknowledge I even had a last name. From the time I was 4-17 I spelled my first name differently. When I got to college, I had to use my legal name, and realized that my name is one of the things that makes me unique, especially since my middle name is actually a part of my first name.

So yeah. I actually love my name. I just gotta remember to tell peeps that it's "_____" with 'two ee's'!

Mostly art.

Comment

I'm not a fan of my first name. It is a nickname and too many people want to write down the 'full name' when I tell them my first name. Also, it is a common term for a job in some places.
                      Bullies and Jerks tormented me so much in school about my last name that it contributed greatly to me actually changing it when I got older.

I like the tradition of getting a new name at different stages of your life - or after big accomplishments or events. When I first got married, we were supposed to both take a new last name. I chose the name because it has a great deal to do with my path. It is an americanized spelling of a scots gaelic word/phrase meaning "From the (Cerridwyn's) Cauldron." People still misspell it or pronounce it wrong even though it is only six letters.

I go by Graywalker a lot - I walk a path between the light and the dark, at home in both, belonging to neither. I've also started going by another more past-life name that may have been more of a title in some circles.

Changing my name didn't cost a lot. I think I got it done for like $40.00 by a local lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by Py9 View Post
                        And? You're going to change it? Do you know what you'll change it for?
                        I always thought that if I'll change my name it will be to Eve, that's my grandmother's name which i'm called after (my parents added a letter to the hebrew Eve and changed it's meaning).
                        It also lacks the hard to pronounce letters in hebrew, in case I'll moved somewhere else.
                        Like I said in an earlier post, once my husband gets some inheritance things arranged, we're both changing our names.
                        The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

My real name is also a boy's name. It's a 'cute girl's name. I'm 41. I'm not cute, a girl, nor a boy. I'm an adult woman. But..It's also a take on my father's name and it's based on my mother's faith in Catholicism. So. I'm stuck with it.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

My name is a modern form of a classical Hebrew name meaning "blessed gift" so actually like my given name quite a lot as it will always remind me that my parents love me.

Comment

I enjoy my name well enough. It came from a great grandfather who heard mom was pregnant and decided he was going to defy death long enough to meet me. He pulled it off too (he was expected to pass months before I'd be born). Plus there are other more pop culture links but giving those away would provide my name and that's not happening atm.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Unlogisch View Post
                                My name is a modern form of a classical Hebrew name meaning "blessed gift" so actually like my given name quite a lot as it will always remind me that my parents love me.
                                That's beautiful. When I mentioned my mother named me after a saint. It was St Jude. Patron of Lost Causes. Greeaaaaaaaaat. Thanks mom.
                                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Working...
                                X