How can you meet a loved on when you're in a different afterlife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can you meet a loved on when you're in a different afterlife

I am asking how can you meet someone you care about if you're in an afterlife different from the loved one you care about. I think depending on which deity, traditions, rituals, and rules you follow, you enter in a different afterlife. If you follow Jesus you enter Heaven. If you follow Odin you enter Asgard. If there was a person who followed Jesus and entered into heaven as opposed to another person who followed Odin and entered Asgard, how would the person who is in Asgard contact the other person who's in Heaven? Would they ever meet each other again? Does Odin call up Jesus and let him know "Hey there's this person who wants to contact someone in your realm. Can he vist there for a while?" Do the 2 people never meet each other again, or do they briefly visit each other's realms, or do they go somewhere else entirely to talk? Wouldn't it be risky if I had wife that was in a different religion because I might not meet her again in the afterlife because we would end up in different realms?

Re: How can you meet a loved on when you're in a different afterlife

Indeed you are correct. But would you really mind it so much? I believe that we do not necessarily stay in the afterlife forever but that we at some point can choose to reincarnate. I believe that I myself have done this. The afterlife can be a permanent place I am sure, if you wanted it to be, but I do not feel that we are trapped there. I feel that mankind portrays the gods too much as arbitrary tyrants. They are not going to force us to stay in the afterlife and they will certainly welcome us back later on. If we want to live 10,000 lives as different mortals I am sure we are allowed to.

Comment

Or you are both wrong, and there is no afterlife, and it wouldn't matter anyways.

Mostly art.

Comment

You are free to believe what you wish. My experiences show me that five sense perception is not the end all be all of our reality. There is more than what these eyes see. Sadly the world is losing their souls to the material. They rely too much on their five senses and do not pray anymore. It is sad but it is the world that I accept. I can only act and speak for myself.

Comment

A lot of stories about love and death are about a hero's adventure, filled with obstacles, hard choices and sacrifices (generally the same thing, but it makes it sound more epic), or a special spell or act they have to perform to get their wish. The one who embarks on the journey or does the agreed upon action seems to die or be enslaved by the deity who they had a pact with, thus rendering their efforts all but useless. Or the one being journeyed for dies. Sometimes they get to spend one last day with their love or relative, and sometimes they actually live happily ever after.

I think most deities are just representations of past deities, or even people that have ascended through life times, and subconscious desires. Going to Odin's Valhallah could very well just be going to a predecessor of Jehova's Heaven, or journeying to Mount Olympus to have a word with Zeus is nothing more than a retold myth of an ascetic doing spiritual austerity to gain the favor of Indra- they are both mythic journeys to the cultural leaders of the celestial realms who wield thunder and lightening and magical power.

Comment

Look. The deities have each other on speed dial. They just work out the passports and let us humans pass on to each realm. Sort of like JFK airport only without security checks.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

The afterlife is probably not like any religion describes except the most rational 'religion.' One of the most rational descriptions is that the afterlife is outside of space & time. Some ancient religions, such as Hinduism, which is somewhat rational (or at least has the right sorts of questions & ideas, whether it deals them in any other way than rather creatively/poetically, but vaguely) probably also compare it to sleep... so the afterlife could be like a dream 'outside space & time,' i.e. one does not necessarily have any body other than maybe a dream body, or if they do, or if they still have similar capability for sensations & actions, maybe the most important part is being outside of space, so one would not really have a body, but it might still sort of seem like it... it is a very difficult thing to consider. One can also become conscious in dreams, so one could say one can be conscious in death. Then, if everyone was fundamentally outside space, it would be like there was no separation between people except whatever mental separation some people make. So, some people that went to that so-called 'Heaven'--and note that 'heaven' is a generic term preceding Abrahamic religions (even if in the same sort of word in different languages, so I object to your usage)--might react negatively to people they thought were unbelievers. Some people might dream they go to some pagan heaven (and some places described in the Eddas, in Icelandic, a Germanic language, translated to English, another such language, are called 'heavens,' as are some in other languages translated to English, like Sanskrit.) If afterlife is outside of space--though I have been conscious in dreams with an 'astral/mental body' (who knows if one would need it after death)--then the very idea of thinking geometrically about it (as if some 'realm' is 'here' and another 'there') is sort of pointless (rather than realms being symbolic) unless one is some sort of genius and can make it make sense. Myths that were told before people were rational in ancient/Classical Greece just do not make very much sense except in limited, partly cultural, partly personal psychological contexts.

As for whether something is risky... I do not think people of different pagan religions would have much problem relating after death, even if they spoke different languages (because, again, like the rest, who knows if language is relevant, and if it is, things would arguably be simlar)... historically there was a lot of respect among pagans from different cultures, even if they fought a bit. The problem is with religions that say unbelievers are going to Hell... and the problem is in this life just as much as the next. If someone is in a religion whose book basically says that, but they are not old-fashioned, they are actually a heretic and not necessarily in that religion (at least according to the larger, mainstream group of fundamentalists)... they have all been reinterpreted, and no one really knows what the original believers thought, because the books are sort of nonsensical anyway... but from history, and a mostly literal interpretation, some of the fundamental ideas are pretty clear, and they are not what the more 'universalist' people claim, who have reinterpreted everything (even Jesus was recorded to have said and done 10+ bad things in the Bible... well, probably a few more things than that, if one includes statements such as his cursing unbelievers and saying people will suffer when he comes back, etc., which I had not included as bad things that had an effect in his day, more than just insane ranting.)

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
                Does Odin call up Jesus and let him know "Hey there's this person who wants to contact someone in your realm. Can he vist there for a while?" Do the 2 people never meet each other again, or do they briefly visit each other's realms, or do they go somewhere else entirely to talk? Wouldn't it be risky if I had wife that was in a different religion because I might not meet her again in the afterlife because we would end up in different realms?
                I believe in multiple Realms of the Dead which exist in the Otherworlds, and which we end up in based on our faith, our deities and our expectations of what happens when we die. I also believe that some souls reincarnate, some stay earthbound, some become landvaettir or ancestral guardians, and some go elsewhere in the Otherworlds if that is their agreement with their deity. I have a complex afterlife belief system and last time I explained it (on another forum) I ended up with an enormously long post, so I wont repeat it here. lol

Essentially, I think it depends on a lot of things, but I do think that that there is room for some trading between the Realms of the Dead. It depend on the deities in question though... for example Odhinn only takes warriors who die in battle (to the point that it's rumored he will engineer the death of someone he has his eye on in order to not lose them to Hella), and so I'm not sure that he would allow a non-warrior into Valhalla. He may be willing to make a deal to get a warrior from another religion though. And would YHVH accept a non-Christian into Heaven when he doesn't even let all Christians get there? Do the two deities who 'own' the deceased souls get along? Because if they don't then they may not make a deal with each other, but they'd be willing to make a deal with someone else.

I don't think there's an easy answer, but I do believe that it's possible to organise a trade off or compromise. And who knows... 'conjugal visits' may be an option

But of course this all begs the question of whether deceased souls retain the loves and priorities that they had as live souls. In the Northern Traditions it's generally believed that they do, at least to an extent. But not all belief systems see it that way.

Comment

The afterlife is Love. And love conquers everything.

Mr Penry and I have found each other many, many times. I'm convinced of that (you don't have to believe it though )
                  So it must have worked out all right in the end.
                  www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I don't know. I'll find out when I die.
                    Maybe. :xD:

Comment

Originally posted by FrankishPride View Post
                      You are free to believe what you wish. My experiences show me that five sense perception is not the end all be all of our reality. There is more than what these eyes see. Sadly the world is losing their souls to the material. They rely too much on their five senses and do not pray anymore. It is sad but it is the world that I accept. I can only act and speak for myself.
                      Wait. How does the very basic epistemological stance that our perception of reality is flawed lead to the conclusion that souls and afterlives exist and that praying matters at all?

Comment

A good question. My family is Christian, I am Pagan. I would hate to never see them again. Although I guess if I was able to spend the afterlife in a place like Equestria (I believe that when we die we go to the kind of afterlife we want, although it's also based on karma) and become a pony then it wouldn't be so bad. I could hang out with Rainbow Dash and the other ponies forever
                        What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

Working...
                        X