This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No idea what to do with a slow-cooker

Rafe posted on Facebook about making ribs in her slow-cooker, and I realized that while I have one, I have no clue what to do with it!

I make two things in my slow-cooker: Cracked wheat or oatmeal that I start the night before, or beans.

Can someone please enlighten me about the other options out there?
    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Re: No idea what to do with a slow-cooker

Roasts, stews, spaghetti sauce, chili, soups, Bar-b-que meats, creamed corn, etc ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Anytime you would roast a meat in the oven, do it in the slow-cooker. 10 million times tastier.

Mostly art.

Comment

I absolutly LOVE slowcooker cooking!!!!!!

I make all sorts of roasts in their (pot roast the most). I do alot of chicken dishes because you can put the chicken in their frozen and cook it on low all day. Hubby and I both work full time so dinner time can be a hassle for us!

Check out this blog! Its awesome!

Crockpot Slow Cooker Recipes by NYT Best-Selling Author Stephanie ODea from "Make it Fast, Cook it Slow" and "A Year of Slow Cooking" (crockpot365).

Comment

I do everything from make yogurt to (more speedily) infuse oils in mine, in addition to making meals. Roasts w/ veggies, Soups, stews, meats, sausages...even desserts. The regional specialty around here wouldn't be half as good without a couple hours in the crock pot--grill up some pork steaks, dump a good sauce over them and keep 'em on low until its dinner time.

And the best part is that you stick stuff in there, and largely forget about it. In fact...for the most part, the longer your forget about it, the better it is.
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=737.msg11215#msg11215 date=1289328258]
            I do everything from make yogurt to (more speedily) infuse oils in mine, in addition to making meals. Roasts w/ veggies, Soups, stews, meats, sausages...even desserts. The regional specialty around here wouldn't be half as good without a couple hours in the crock pot--grill up some pork steaks, dump a good sauce over them and keep 'em on low until its dinner time.

And the best part is that you stick stuff in there, and largely forget about it. In fact...for the most part, the longer your forget about it, the better it is.
            [/quote]

I must admit, desserts is a new one for me...

*clicks link*

Mostly art.

Comment

[quote author=volcaniclastic link=topic=737.msg11218#msg11218 date=1289328683]
              I must admit, desserts is a new one for me...

*clicks link*
              [/quote]

I haven't tried these (I've only done cobblers)...but here's some more:

Chocolate pudding cake.
              crockpot cheesecake
              banana nut bread
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

You guys are awesome!! I,m looking forward to getting home so I can actually click links.

Comment

I have a slow cooker, but I've got to admit that I'm afraid of it. I have trust issues when it comes to meat cooked at too-low temperatures. My slow-cookers always just don't seem like they get hot enough.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Perz,that would make me nervous,to...plus no browning doesn't make for the most yummy meat. Perhaps browning it first, in a pan or under the broiler, then putting it in?

Comment

You can brown your meat first! But when its on for 9 hours your not going to get anything but well done! You put liquids in with the meat and it stews pretty much and makes it super tender and moist.

Believe me, those things even on low get SUPER hot! No worries about doneness

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=737.msg11247#msg11247 date=1289335220]
                        Perz,that would make me nervous,to...plus no browning doesn't make for the most yummy meat. Perhaps browning it first, in a pan or under the broiler, then putting it in?
                        [/quote]

I always brown the meat first otherwise it looks unappetising. And to get the slo-cooker up to heat quickly I put it on High setting, then as soon as it starts to look as though it's boiling (generally about an hour or so) turn it down to low. Give things a stir every few hours to make sure the middle is cooked. Makes great doughboys for a stew, too!
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Slow cookers get pretty damn hot...as in, boiling liquid. I've never worried about meat not being properly done...tbh, if you are talking about the hours and hours that the food is in there in the first place, undone meat a helluva lot more likely to happen on a grill or skillet, or even in the oven if you aren't using a meat thermometer every time you cook. Depending on what you are making, browning is pretty unnecessary for a good stew...but great for a roast.
                          sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=737.msg11260#msg11260 date=1289339320]
                            Slow cookers get pretty damn hot...as in, boiling liquid. I've never worried about meat not being properly done...tbh, if you are talking about the hours and hours that the food is in there in the first place, undone meat a helluva lot more likely to happen on a grill or skillet, or even in the oven if you aren't using a meat thermometer every time you cook. Depending on what you are making, browning is pretty unnecessary for a good stew...but great for a roast.
                            [/quote]

QFT!!!

Comment

since i look up everything online

Welcome to SlowAndSimple.com - a recipe site dedicated to slow cooker and crockpot recipes. Browse the site to find a new recipe, or if you have a great recipe, login and share it with the world.

i usually make roast beef or pork roast. but i have also made goulash or sloppy joes (if its for a lot of people).
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X