Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: No idea what to do with a slow-cooker

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Wiccan High Priestess

Re: No idea what to do with a slow-cooker

You can brown your meat first! But when its on for 9 hours your not going to get anything but well done! You put liquids in with the meat and it stews pretty much and makes it super tender and moist.

Believe me, those things even on low get SUPER hot! No worries about doneness

Oct 2010
    Religion
    solitary pagan witch with a strong interest in Anglo Saxons
    Phrase
    Phantom Turnips never die. They just get stewed occasionally....

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=737.msg11247#msg11247 date=1289335220]
    Perz,that would make me nervous,to...plus no browning doesn't make for the most yummy meat. Perhaps browning it first, in a pan or under the broiler, then putting it in?
    [/quote]

I always brown the meat first otherwise it looks unappetising. And to get the slo-cooker up to heat quickly I put it on High setting, then as soon as it starts to look as though it's boiling (generally about an hour or so) turn it down to low. Give things a stir every few hours to make sure the middle is cooked. Makes great doughboys for a stew, too!
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Slow cookers get pretty damn hot...as in, boiling liquid. I've never worried about meat not being properly done...tbh, if you are talking about the hours and hours that the food is in there in the first place, undone meat a helluva lot more likely to happen on a grill or skillet, or even in the oven if you aren't using a meat thermometer every time you cook. Depending on what you are making, browning is pretty unnecessary for a good stew...but great for a roast.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Wiccan High Priestess

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=737.msg11260#msg11260 date=1289339320]
    Slow cookers get pretty damn hot...as in, boiling liquid. I've never worried about meat not being properly done...tbh, if you are talking about the hours and hours that the food is in there in the first place, undone meat a helluva lot more likely to happen on a grill or skillet, or even in the oven if you aren't using a meat thermometer every time you cook. Depending on what you are making, browning is pretty unnecessary for a good stew...but great for a roast.
    [/quote]

QFT!!!

Oct 2009
    Religion
    ~Eclectic Pagan~
    Phrase
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right." -Henry Ford

since i look up everything online

http://www.slowandsimple.com/

i usually make roast beef or pork roast. but i have also made goulash or sloppy joes (if its for a lot of people).
    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=87&dateline=133754480  9

One with the Force ChainLightning's Avatar
    Nov 2005
    Religion
    Polytheist with Pan-/Panen- tendencies.
    Phrase
    In the darkest recesses of your twisted mind, a G-rated version of me resides.

Yeah, quantity is a key indicator. I have several different sizes, from a small 1-person crock pot to a huge 18 quart 'family size'.

I've made all sorts of things, ranging from BBQ meatballs and/or cocktail wieners to Buffalo Stew to Swedish Meatballs to Spaghetti and meatballs to chili or even rich homemade chicken noodle soup.

In essence? I think it's the slow and easy (aka: convenient) replacement for a Dutch Oven. Perfect for just about anything but frying, broiling or rotisserie.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Cannibal Rights Activist Ophidia's Avatar
    Aug 2008
    Religion
    Ophidism
    Phrase
    I like Nature, just not on me.

I've never actually gotten anything to come to a boil in a slow cooker. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I am just buying crappy slow cookers or something. Usually, I use them for work potlucks - I cook stuff in the oven & put it in the crockpot to keep it warm.

The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

Slow cooker works for wild rice too ... But my fav is a roast, potatoes, onions, celery, cherry tomatoes, garlic and black pepper ... If it is pork then a bit of mint and no garlic ... Tiny new potatoes work best ... Not bad for bear either ... Gets rid of some of the gamey flavor ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Oct 2010
    Religion
    anti...
    Phrase
    If, at first, you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

I cook pork loin in mine often... whether I'm cooking a roast or making pulled-pork.
    A pork loin, cream of mushroom soup, some potatoes and carrots + a slow cooker = awesome!
    I use it to make cheese dip a lot: velveeta, a can or two of extra hot rotell and some browned hamburger meat or sausage. oh-yeah.
    "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Oct 2004
    Religion
    olde pharte

Tanx for reminding me of the carrots ... You can dice up any meat, toss in all your veggies and make a killer soup too ... Or thicken it and make a stew ...
    I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."