This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No idea what to do with a slow-cooker

Yeah, quantity is a key indicator. I have several different sizes, from a small 1-person crock pot to a huge 18 quart 'family size'.

I've made all sorts of things, ranging from BBQ meatballs and/or cocktail wieners to Buffalo Stew to Swedish Meatballs to Spaghetti and meatballs to chili or even rich homemade chicken noodle soup.

In essence? I think it's the slow and easy (aka: convenient) replacement for a Dutch Oven. Perfect for just about anything but frying, broiling or rotisserie.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

I've never actually gotten anything to come to a boil in a slow cooker. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I am just buying crappy slow cookers or something. Usually, I use them for work potlucks - I cook stuff in the oven & put it in the crockpot to keep it warm.

The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Slow cooker works for wild rice too ... But my fav is a roast, potatoes, onions, celery, cherry tomatoes, garlic and black pepper ... If it is pork then a bit of mint and no garlic ... Tiny new potatoes work best ... Not bad for bear either ... Gets rid of some of the gamey flavor ...
        I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

I cook pork loin in mine often... whether I'm cooking a roast or making pulled-pork.
          A pork loin, cream of mushroom soup, some potatoes and carrots + a slow cooker = awesome!
          I use it to make cheese dip a lot: velveeta, a can or two of extra hot rotell and some browned hamburger meat or sausage. oh-yeah.
          "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Tanx for reminding me of the carrots ... You can dice up any meat, toss in all your veggies and make a killer soup too ... Or thicken it and make a stew ...
            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=737.msg11417#msg11417 date=1289373411]
              I've never actually gotten anything to come to a boil in a slow cooker. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I am just buying crappy slow cookers or something. Usually, I use them for work potlucks - I cook stuff in the oven & put it in the crockpot to keep it warm.
              [/quote]

the point of a slow cooker is to cook for a long time at a low temp i don't think they get hot enough to boil... i could be mistaken though.
              sigpic

Comment

Huh. I think it might depend on the slow cooker. You won't get a "rolling boil" but it will start bubbling. I've been able to thicken up a stew by letting it simmer (low boil) uncovered. It certainly gets hot enough, on the high setting, to actually burn food.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=737.msg11695#msg11695 date=1289428786]
                  Huh. I think it might depend on the slow cooker. You won't get a "rolling boil" but it will start bubbling. I've been able to thicken up a stew by letting it simmer (low boil) uncovered. It certainly gets hot enough, on the high setting, to actually burn food.
                  [/quote]

Yeah, I've never had a slow cooker that didn't do a nice slow bubble...roiling boil, no...but a good simmer is all you need anyhow.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=737.msg11771#msg11771 date=1289439244]
                    Yeah, I've never had a slow cooker that didn't do a nice slow bubble...roiling boil, no...but a good simmer is all you need anyhow.
                    [/quote]

Ditto.

I love my slow cooker and don't use it nearly enough! (incidentally, it earned a place on my counter at all times!)

Those desserts look awwwwwesome....gonna hafta try that!
                    Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=737.msg11417#msg11417 date=1289373411]
                      [/quote]

it should be able to boil, at least gently. Make sure the lid fits tightly, and it stays covered while warming up. If it doesn't boil on high after an hour or so, you might want to ask santa for a new one.
                      What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

One of my favorite recipes for a slow cooker is little smokies http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/little...es/Detail.aspx
                        If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=737.msg11203#msg11203 date=1289326627]
                          Rafe posted on Facebook about making ribs in her slow-cooker, and I realized that while I have one, I have no clue what to do with it!

I make two things in my slow-cooker: Cracked wheat or oatmeal that I start the night before, or beans.

Can someone please enlighten me about the other options out there?
                          [/quote]

put food it it and turn it on? :P. Just pick out a soup or stew recipe from a cookbook and put it on low before you go to work is all

Comment

[quote author=Freyja link=topic=737.msg22661#msg22661 date=1292442963]
                            put food it it and turn it on? :P. Just pick out a soup or stew recipe from a cookbook and put it on low before you go to work is all
                            [/quote]

Heh, thanks for the humor, Freyja...there have been some really excellent ideas in this thread. I've been really impressed with the ways that people use a slow-cooker! You might want to take a read through the responses.
                            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=737.msg22689#msg22689 date=1292448678]
                              Heh, thanks for the humor, Freyja...there have been some really excellent ideas in this thread. I've been really impressed with the ways that people use a slow-cooker! You might want to take a read through the responses.
                              [/quote]

I aim to please with my humor

Comment

One of the cook books I use is called SLOW GOOD by Weight Watchers. I use my slow cooker a lot in the winter months so my wife can have a dinner when she gets home from her job and I'm at mine.

P.S. No implications because it Weight Watchers. I just like their cook books.
                                Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Working...
                                X