Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No idea what to do with a slow-cooker

Oct 2009
    Religion
    ~Eclectic Pagan~
    Phrase
    "Whether you think you can or think you can't, either way you are right." -Henry Ford

Re: No idea what to do with a slow-cooker

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=737.msg11417#msg11417 date=1289373411]
    I've never actually gotten anything to come to a boil in a slow cooker. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I am just buying crappy slow cookers or something. Usually, I use them for work potlucks - I cook stuff in the oven & put it in the crockpot to keep it warm.
    [/quote]

the point of a slow cooker is to cook for a long time at a low temp i don't think they get hot enough to boil... i could be mistaken though.
    http://www.paganforum.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=87&dateline=133754480  9

One with the Force ChainLightning's Avatar
    Nov 2005
    Religion
    Polytheist with Pan-/Panen- tendencies.
    Phrase
    In the darkest recesses of your twisted mind, a G-rated version of me resides.

Huh. I think it might depend on the slow cooker. You won't get a "rolling boil" but it will start bubbling. I've been able to thicken up a stew by letting it simmer (low boil) uncovered. It certainly gets hot enough, on the high setting, to actually burn food.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

[quote author=ChainLightning link=topic=737.msg11695#msg11695 date=1289428786]
    Huh. I think it might depend on the slow cooker. You won't get a "rolling boil" but it will start bubbling. I've been able to thicken up a stew by letting it simmer (low boil) uncovered. It certainly gets hot enough, on the high setting, to actually burn food.
    [/quote]

Yeah, I've never had a slow cooker that didn't do a nice slow bubble...roiling boil, no...but a good simmer is all you need anyhow.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Oct 2005
    Religion
    Panentheist Druid
    Phrase
    Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit.

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=737.msg11771#msg11771 date=1289439244]
    Yeah, I've never had a slow cooker that didn't do a nice slow bubble...roiling boil, no...but a good simmer is all you need anyhow.
    [/quote]

Ditto.

I love my slow cooker and don't use it nearly enough! (incidentally, it earned a place on my counter at all times!)

Those desserts look awwwwwesome....gonna hafta try that!
    Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

Oct 2009
    Religion
    Witchy Pagan

[quote author=perzephone link=topic=737.msg11417#msg11417 date=1289373411]
    I've never actually gotten anything to come to a boil in a slow cooker. I don't know what I'm doing wrong or if I am just buying crappy slow cookers or something. Usually, I use them for work potlucks - I cook stuff in the oven & put it in the crockpot to keep it warm.
    [/quote]

it should be able to boil, at least gently. Make sure the lid fits tightly, and it stays covered while warming up. If it doesn't boil on high after an hour or so, you might want to ask santa for a new one.
    What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Shamanic
    Phrase
    The rabid leg humper.

One of my favorite recipes for a slow cooker is little smokies http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/little...es/Detail.aspx
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows. ---Henry Ward Beecher

Dec 2010

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=737.msg11203#msg11203 date=1289326627]
    Rafe posted on Facebook about making ribs in her slow-cooker, and I realized that while I have one, I have no clue what to do with it!

I make two things in my slow-cooker: Cracked wheat or oatmeal that I start the night before, or beans.

Can someone please enlighten me about the other options out there?
    [/quote]

put food it it and turn it on? :P. Just pick out a soup or stew recipe from a cookbook and put it on low before you go to work is all

Jun 2007
    Religion
    Norse Something-or-Other
    Phrase
    Nice is not the same as good.

[quote author=Freyja link=topic=737.msg22661#msg22661 date=1292442963]
    put food it it and turn it on? :P. Just pick out a soup or stew recipe from a cookbook and put it on low before you go to work is all
    [/quote]

Heh, thanks for the humor, Freyja...there have been some really excellent ideas in this thread. I've been really impressed with the ways that people use a slow-cooker! You might want to take a read through the responses.

Dec 2010

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=737.msg22689#msg22689 date=1292448678]
    Heh, thanks for the humor, Freyja...there have been some really excellent ideas in this thread. I've been really impressed with the ways that people use a slow-cooker! You might want to take a read through the responses.
    [/quote]

I aim to please with my humor

Nov 2010
    Religion
    Pagan
    Phrase
    "Remember that paganism is a path of experience, not of dogma."

One of the cook books I use is called SLOW GOOD by Weight Watchers. I use my slow cooker a lot in the winter months so my wife can have a dinner when she gets home from her job and I'm at mine.

P.S. No implications because it Weight Watchers. I just like their cook books.
    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.