This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No idea what to do with a slow-cooker

What size crockpot did you get? (How many quarts?)
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Not sure about quarts,but it is big enough to fit a whole chicken in. I went for the big enchilada...I figure I could do a weeks worth of eats in it. I love casseroles,and someone told me I could do a meatloaf in it. I am not a fancy eater,more hardy and tasty. Maybe potato something or other.

- - - Updated - - -

Think a 6 quart.

see the site below.

trying for image.

- - - Updated - - -

Best I could do for a pic
      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/241601/...r-slow-cooker/
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Make bread in a slow cooker: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make...-cooker-192421

Make yogurt in a slow cooker: Take a yogurt "starter" (about a cup of a plain yogurt with a live culture that you like--I like Chobani's Greek yogurt), and thin it out with an equal or 2x amount of room temperature milk--for future reference this will be your "inoculating culture" (if you try to use the yogurt as-is without this step, it tends to stay chunky and take longer). Pour milk into jars (I used to do this in the crockpot straight, but this way is less messy), filling it up 80-90% of the way full. Add the inoculating culture to the milk and give it a stir (your jars should be sterilized--either wash them in the dishwasher first, or soak them in a 1:10 bleach soak for about 10 minutes and then rinse them well). Place the jars in the crockpot and put the crock pot on the warming setting--NOT on low or on high (I done this with the crockpot "dry" and in a water bath--works either way). DO NOT PUT THE LIDS ON THE JARS. Cover the jars with cheese cloth or (depending on the jar size, you might be able to usethe crockpot lid--you need air access for the yeast. When the mixture has reached yogurt consistency (you may have a bit of whey on top), turn it off and let it cool; once cool, put the lids on and refrigerate.

Tips/Tricks/Modifications:

--if you like super thick yogurt, add some dry milk to the milk and mix well (put the lid on and shake it up) before you add the inoculating culture.
          --to make "yogurt cheese" line a colander over a bowl with cheese cloth, muslin, or paper coffee filters and allow the whey to drain overnight (the longer the firmer)...you can do this by tying up the yogurt in the cheesecloth (several layers) or muslin and hanging it over your sink also, but I'd not recommend it if you have intelligent cats (you can use this in place of cream cheese)
          --thin out the yogurt with milk and add ranch dressing seasonings for your own ranch dressing
          --add sugar free preserves or fresh fruit and honey, etc for fruity yogurt
          --If you use raw milk, make sure you scald it and let it cool first, before doing anything. If you are using pasteurized milk from the grocery, you can skip this step)
          --make frozen yogurt
          --Save a cup of this yogurt for your next batch! You can generally keep using a portion of your starter several times before you need to buy yogurt from the store. Its not generally indefinite, because refrigeration retards growth and eventually can stall the culture to the point where it can't recover. Actual yogurt making companies avoid this by having an actual culture that they grow in ideal culture-growing conditions.
          --stick some in a blender with honey and oats to make a nice thick past that works as a facial mask
          --use it in place of sour cream
          --add it to a vinaigrette salad dressing to make it creamy
          --replace or cut mayonnaise with it (any you can even make your own mayo) for pasta or potato salads, deviled eggs, etc
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Get the cheapest cut of pork you can find, and a good barbeque sauce. Chop up the pork, mix in enough bbq sauce to cover, and heat on "low" all day, then fluff it up with a fork, and WALLY! ya got yourself pulled pork sammies.

You can do the same thing with chicken...
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

I am mainly a chicken and pork person...not to much beef,except maybe a burger once in a while. Want to find a pork chop slow cook that ends with melt in your mouth BBQ
              taste. Also thinking whole chicken slow cooked and kinda like a rotisserie chicken in texture and taste.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                ...Also thinking whole chicken slow cooked and kinda like a rotisserie chicken in texture and taste.
                I chop the chicken, put it in the pot with canned tomatoes and lots of garlic, the heat on "low" 'til the meat is falling off the bone. Very good! Very easy!
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Re: Warm Drinks Collection via Slow Cooker

My goodness. Bread... Yoghurt...stews... That BBQ pork thing.... I'm buying a slow cooker for Winter. I'll probably have to throw something out to fit it in but it sounds worth it!

Comment

Working...
                  X