Utopia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Utopia

So, does anybody believe in the possibility of achieving a utopic society?

Is a social or societal utopia achievable?

Describe your thoughts here whether they be pro or con.

Re: Utopia

It depends on how you are defining "Utopia" and in relation to which historical (or modern) proposition you adhere to (if any).

Once again, I am very much personally against such systems - I do not believe in the "collective wisdom" of a council of human beings - simply knowing the nature of human beings automatically invalidates, for me, the idea that a select few geniuses are going to bring about an ideal and model society mutually beneficial for both mankind and the natural world.

Perhaps if we could eliminate material possessions then we could somehow lessen the inclination towards greed, but even then a human being is going to find something to covet. Persuasion to "do good" through religion? Not going to happen. Too many variables and too many personal beliefs to direct human beings to "behave" because God is good and that's what they should do because it will make them happy.

I don't believe that people are "ultimately good" - not one bit. If you could somehow remove the human brain and implant a computer (and even then, it's likely to fail)...

So for me, Utopia is a fiction - and it will never happen. Maybe I'm just too cynical and jaded - but meh.

Comment

yes i do wholly, andi have put considerable time into planing it out im pretty sure my plan would now work. only problem is i cant see a realistic peaceful way to transition from the democratic government we now have to the one wed need to have. plus it would need atleast two countries preferable more ( the whole world ) and if iwas on the laptop id post an outline of the idea up. but it wud take too long on here

Comment

Did you know that the word utopia literally means "no place" from the Greek ou (no) + topos (place)? Now that that;s out of the way, I don't think utopia is possible anyway. Too may different views- just in this thread you already have different views! And sometimes views are turned into sociopathic greed bordering, and usually crossing the line, of violence towards others (necessary evil in their eyes). But that's the worst cast scenerio.

Too much schism between cultures, smaller groups and individuals. Even a new government wouldn't help because not everyone will agree with your new idea of government, or lack thereof, no matter how much other people agree with it and can make it happen, there always seems to be protesters.

On a more optimistic (although it might be a little strange) theory I had on building a more positive and life affirming world: Imagine at least 1 thousand people all gathered in the comfort of their homes or sacred spaces at the exact same time for a certain amount of time everyday at did a ritual prayer, meditation, etc (basically, performed in their own way) in honor of a better world with higher vibrational energies, balanced communication between other humans and consciousnesses and just all around benefit and compassion for humanity and the planet and all her inhabitants. After and/or before they did their metaphysical part, they went out and did something good for their community or beneficial in some way, like clean trash off the streets, cook for the homeless, make people laugh, start an art project, etc. I think this could change the world and gear us towards a utopia with a balance of metaphysical and psychic activism and everyday good things. It's putting magic and psychic enhancement to good use for others. I have other metaphysical theories that I think could literally change the world with enough people.

In humanistic terms of politics and all that, I see no Utopia, but if we put on our metaphysical boots and kick down those metaphysical doors of tyranny, or build metaphysical gardens of joyful and sustaining creativity and beauty, coupled with direct action of good deeds in the external world, we could very much see a utopia like place faster than we realize. The human spirit holds more potential than I think most of us realize, we just need to listen and act upon those dreams and create answers to the hardest questions.

Comment

Not really. I'm more of a believer of a 'try doing the best of what you got' kind of a society.

Bad things are going to happen, it's how you deal with them that matters the most, in my opinion.
          [4:82]

Comment

Not a proper one no, I think we can improve what we have, but frankly I don't even see a star trek like society, (sorry for the nerd-frence) I just personally think most people don't want to be compassionate, and I am not yet convinced that that is such a bad thing...
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

some times humanity just need a forceful nudge to start them on the right path

Comment

I would describe myself as a utopian collectivist, so by that very definition especially through my own formulated reasoning I believe such a society is possible.

Of course not all utopian thinkers are the same in that I am not so naive enough to think everything can and will ever be perfect, but instead I strive in my ideals for the best possible outcome for this world even as flawed that it can be.

Essentially I support a society without any sort of monetary system for one that revolves around labor participation instead where all goods and services are essentially free for all. I support the notion of a non hierarchal society that revolves around equality for all.

Later on when I am near my computer again I'll explain more of some of my beliefs.

Comment

i think you and ineed to compare notes XD

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
                    i think you and ineed to compare notes XD
                    I am on the internet all the time. Ask or converse with me about anything.

A great book that describes my ideal model of society would be the book entitled, "Walden 2", written by B.F. Skinner.

Comment

my loptop is being fixed at h the moment but wen its donr i cirtainly shall

Comment

Everyone's idea of what a Utopia is different, so I don't think it will ever be possible.
                        Even among people who share the basic idea of what they want, there are differences in how it should be done.

It's a nice fantasy to have and can be good for some mental exercise but that's all.
                        Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many. -The Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by Agel View Post
                          Everyone's idea of what a Utopia is different, so I don't think it will ever be possible.
                          Even among people who share the basic idea of what they want, there are differences in how it should be done.

It's a nice fantasy to have and can be good for some mental exercise but that's all.

I think it can be achieved with something I like to call open private communities. You merely join up with a open private community that fits your personal description of what a utopian society should be. If you didn't like how that society is operated ideally you would find another one eventually that does.

Comment

I personally do not believe it is an attainable goal on a large scale. Perhaps on a minor scale the size of a small community but not on a vaster scale at all. Almost in the same sense as the mythical Shangri La notion of a hidden community. One will always have a sense of envy even when all things are supposed to be based upon a concept of equality. It might be as limited as envy of another person's spouse to as vast as where one lives within the community regardless of notions of farmer versus artisan versus metalworker, etc.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I forgot to add that if all else fails you could create such a society yourself and see if there are others like minded who would join it if such communities don't already exist.

You can't change the world and for the most part all governments around the world are entirely corrupt, oppressive, and tyrannical to ever want to change the world for the better themselves.

What we all do have the ability to do so is create our own private communities molding them into whatever fashion we want.

In the beginning it just takes one community to be a beacon towards the rest of this world and enventually overtime that one community will have.to expand until there are several communities around the world started by the single very first one from which all sprang.

So, in a sense the world can be influenced for the better over a long period of time.

Comment

Working...
                              X