Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signs that someone uses dark magic and what to do.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signs that someone uses dark magic and what to do.

I wonder if anyone has noticed any signs that someone uses magic for harmful purposes. Some can even sense it from their auras, i.e. sensing the "dark side" that surrounds them. I hear powerful dark sorcerers suffer side effects from the spells they do to manipulate or harm others, like insomnia, hallucinations, throwing up or other signs. Some can be manipulative and deceptive. They might steal your energy like psycic vampires. I'm not exactly sure what can a person do if they come across someone like that because a person probably wouldn't stand a chance against a dark sorcerer unless they too knew magic. Would I too have to learn some magic to protect myself, would my faith have something to do with it and help protect me? How does one deal with such people? It's something on my mind and worries me sometimes and I don't know exactly how can they protect themselves. I assume channeling auras have something to do with it, but even then practicing spells seem so risky, even if your intentions are good, since it might backfire. Please respond if you have answers.

Re: Signs that someone uses dark magic and what to do.

Probably not what you want to hear but I've never seen anything that one can look at and say "This is a practitioner of evil or bad magics / practices". At best most of what your suggesting is a hold over from Judeo - Christian concepts and influences that say one who does evil will be marked by it. In my experience those who do evil or bad consider it no different than those who wold perform an action and call it good from their perspective.
    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Signs?
      Hard to tell the difference between people who are spiritually malevolent and just ordinary malevolent people...And my suggestion there? If someone gives you the creeps, don't stick around to find out why. Politely extricate and bail out.

Defenses I know:

One thing-ground yourself, earth any bad vibes.

Another?
      Disco ball defense-Imagine there's a disco ball, covered with little mirrors, rotating in a sphere around you, and it reflects all the negative energy back at the target....This is just faaaabulous for negative people.
      (Imagining YMCA by The Village People just adds insult to injury, but hey, that's how I roll.)
      Alternatively, imagine yourself wreathed in colored fire-the color of the fire should feel protective to you. The fire will burn off anything inbound.
      When you get home and can get away with this without looking like a loon, laugh at them until you feel lighter.
      Wear a talisman or amulet of something that seems/feels protective to you at all times.

Those are some ideas to try, hopefully there will be others.

Comment

I have (and do, when necessary) used what is deemed as Maleficium - but because I have been practicing for more than 17 years, I experience no side-effects as I understand the precautions which must be taken before attempting certain forms of magickal workings.

I cannot say that there are any "tell-tale symptoms" that one would inevitably suffer from practicing "dark magick" - for instance, "dark magicians" or practitioners or Maleficium do not grow warty noses nor experience hallucinations as "part of the package". If a practitioner of Maleficium failed to take certain protective measures, then perhaps there could be backlash and subsequent "symptoms", but this is not going to be the case 99% of the time.

As for signs that someone is, what you refer to as, a "dark magician" or "dark sorcerer" - I'm truly sorry, but there is no detection method that is fail-safe for "picking" them out of the crowd. A competent magician, regardless of what manner of magick he or she is using, will understand the necessity of regular auric cleansing and the use of shields - thus, it would be unlikely that a powerful and experienced "dark magician" would have an aura terribly dissimilar from that of one who practices so-called "white magick".

As for protecting yourself, I don't really understand why you seem to have such a fear of "dark sorcerers" as I highly doubt there are droves of them simply wandering down the street looking to attack some random person "just because". Certainly there are those "psychic vampires", either who drain your energy deliberately or obliviously, who can create a great deal of discomfort and even suffering in your life, but generally as Torch mentioned, if someone "gives you the creeps", stay away from them.

There are far more dangers, in my opinion, from everyday non-magickal people in our lives than there are from "dark sorcerers".

But as a general rule, regularly using shielding methods, examining and cleansing your aura and being aware of the individuals with whom you keep company are good practices which can help to protect you against unwelcome magickal or mundane mischief.

Comment

Generally, when I'm working 'dark magic(k)', I carry a big sign and make dire pronouncements about opening express elevators to Hades.

Unless you've pissed someone off, and you know that person is a vindictive spell-caster sort, the average person doesn't need to worry about 'black' magic. The morals and ethics of magic are subjective, just like any other action. Magical actions doesn't have back-scatter radiation that will affect people surrounding the spell-caster or their intended target. Karma isn't contagious. And if you're that worried about getting hexed, cursed, mojoed or jujued, you might want to examine the people in your life and how you act around them or treat them. Why do you have such a guilty conscience? Why do you feel so threatened?
          The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Defense against negative magic is simple grounding and shielding. You can do more fancy things like overload them or use talismans or whatever but it's overkill sometimes. As someone who has regularly fed off people (psi vamping) I can say a proper spike shield is the most bothersome thing to deal with because one its totally surprising when you find a reactive shield (Imagine picking up a chicken leg for dinner and it kicks you) and two it can damage whatever mechanism that the vamp uses to feed. Mirror shields are harder to distinguish from normal shields until you try to feed on them. You can't feed on yourself so the cords/tentacles/whatever you're using to feed sorta bounce around. Normal shielding is like hitting a wall. Charms, talismans, wards, ect can be used to prevent this too but like I said aren't really needed. You might consider researching protective symbols like the eye of Horus or the triskelion.

Now that's psi vamping but if you're the specific target for a hex then reflective shields are damning. Grounding right you can just disperse any hex by channeling it into the earth. Wardings around your home are useful to protect property and inhabitants. Banishing rituals can be used in some circumstances if you think you've been hexed.
            Circe

Comment

The worst 'dark' magic that's going to harm you is if you are susceptible to corporate conditioning through advertisements and con artists of various suit, or a very well trained mage of such arts is really annoyed with you and is trying to teach you a lesson... which is unlikely unless you're Harry Potter or Goku. Even if a powerful mage were going to curse a 15 year old science nerd, it probably wouldn't work because their is no link to that belief from the victim that such things could work which weakens the mage's intention. Fear of being cursed causes harm to the self (seems to be more common) and empowers any would be 'dark' mages curse.

To actually avert curses, I have no idea because I've never had to deal with one, except those that backfired on me (not saying this happens to everyone who throws some harmful magic around, it's just my morality likes to remind me of the harsh realities of 'karma' sometimes). I would imagine if you are naturally an optimistic person and see the goodness and practicality in people and things than no matter what baneful magic is thrown at you, whether you know about magic or not, than that magic ceases to cause effect on the target. The target is too involved in helping others, or at least truly believing in them, that the baneful energies are neutralized, destroyed or transformed for more positive purposes.

From my little knowledge of magical combat, it seems that magic itself follows the stronger intention so whether or not our optimist practices or is aware of magic or not and is sent a curse from a talented mage for whatever reason, that single directed hatred is usually no stronger than a passing thought to someone who is wholeheartedly and joyously engaged in life- their mental, emotional, physical, thus energetic and spiritual states, are much more refined and powerful because they have been building it naturally through their own personality and sustaining from all the love they receive (even the unseen I'm sure love them even if the human has no clue). The dark mage merely has a passing hatred and years of occult study and practice- how can such knowledge and hidden practices win out over someone who cares and hopes the best for every living thing, even the mean ones?

When it comes to faith, if you have strong enough faith, all you need is that faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post
                I have (and do, when necessary) used what is deemed as Maleficium - but because I have been practicing for more than 17 years, I experience no side-effects as I understand the precautions which must be taken before attempting certain forms of magickal workings.

I cannot say that there are any "tell-tale symptoms" that one would inevitably suffer from practicing "dark magick" - for instance, "dark magicians" or practitioners or Maleficium do not grow warty noses nor experience hallucinations as "part of the package". If a practitioner of Maleficium failed to take certain protective measures, then perhaps there could be backlash and subsequent "symptoms", but this is not going to be the case 99% of the time.

As for signs that someone is, what you refer to as, a "dark magician" or "dark sorcerer" - I'm truly sorry, but there is no detection method that is fail-safe for "picking" them out of the crowd. A competent magician, regardless of what manner of magick he or she is using, will understand the necessity of regular auric cleansing and the use of shields - thus, it would be unlikely that a powerful and experienced "dark magician" would have an aura terribly dissimilar from that of one who practices so-called "white magick".

As for protecting yourself, I don't really understand why you seem to have such a fear of "dark sorcerers" as I highly doubt there are droves of them simply wandering down the street looking to attack some random person "just because". Certainly there are those "psychic vampires", either who drain your energy deliberately or obliviously, who can create a great deal of discomfort and even suffering in your life, but generally as Torch mentioned, if someone "gives you the creeps", stay away from them.

There are far more dangers, in my opinion, from everyday non-magickal people in our lives than there are from "dark sorcerers".

But as a general rule, regularly using shielding methods, examining and cleansing your aura and being aware of the individuals with whom you keep company are good practices which can help to protect you against unwelcome magickal or mundane mischief.
                I don't think you understand. Dark sorcerers are actually more common than you think. It's not common but I wouldn't say it's quite rare either. There are definitely people who use magic for dark purposes so when I say dark magic I'm of course reffering to magic used for harmful purposes. Some intentions aren't evil because some are just untheical but still. Black magic is obviously not evil any more than blue or red magic. It's just a color and it all depends on how one uses it. I know of psycic vampires but there are some that use magic, especially if they are corrupt and make it to the top due to manipulation and deception.

I feel as if I have encountered some without even realizing it until later. I know that someone who gives me the creeps is always a bad sign whether they are magical or not. However I know that powerful magic where one harms another doesn't come without a price. I know and have read that magic used for harmful purposes usually requires a trade off. Where the person is willing to use such magic but they might give up a part of their sanity, they might become more vicious and hatefilled or cold and emotionless and suffer ill side effects such as aging. I know of mentally ill people that have at least dabbled in such stuff and probably suffered because they dabbled in it. I know of some creepy people that practice magic, and look like they are in their mid 30s when they're really in their early 20s so it might age one over a period of time. The way I see it, it's sort of like the Sith from Star Wars, when they use the dark side, their eyes turn yellow and sometimes their skin changes too. I know people have tried to coerce me into using magic for unethical purposes which I of course refused but they would try to trick me into thinking it's good or that it'll improve my life better, when I know magic can also be extremely dangerous and uncontrolable and before I would use any spell, I'd know exactly what I'm dealing with first and I would never use it for unethical or bad purposes.

I feel scared a lot knowing there are people that wield such power and I have no way of defending myself or defending others. I of course can take advice here but practicing magic or channeling auras seem so risky. I even hear that sometimes people can become impaired for life because they did an incantation or ritual wrong and had to suffer for it for quite a long time.
                It's probably wiser to have a mentor that actually knows magic but even that's risky since the person can claim they're teaching me magic for good purposes but might lead me astray and have me use magic for harmful purposes without even realizing it. It's so difficult to trust someone nowadays...and I know I sound paranoid but when you first doubt that such power exists which I did at first and then hear and read and witness people using such power, it's really scary knowing how they can hex you and you'd have no way of countering it unless you knew magic.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
                  I don't think you understand. Dark sorcerers are actually more common than you think. It's not common but I wouldn't say it's quite rare either. There are definitely people who use magic for dark purposes so when I say dark magic I'm of course reffering to magic used for harmful purposes. Some intentions aren't evil because some are just untheical but still. Black magic is obviously not evil any more than blue or red magic. It's just a color and it all depends on how one uses it. I know of psycic vampires but there are some that use magic, especially if they are corrupt and make it to the top due to manipulation and deception.

I feel as if I have encountered some without even realizing it until later. I know that someone who gives me the creeps is always a bad sign whether they are magical or not. However I know that powerful magic where one harms another doesn't come without a price. I know and have read that magic used for harmful purposes usually requires a trade off. Where the person is willing to use such magic but they might give up a part of their sanity, they might become more vicious and hatefilled or cold and emotionless and suffer ill side effects such as aging. I know of mentally ill people that have at least dabbled in such stuff and probably suffered because they dabbled in it. I know of some creepy people that practice magic, and look like they are in their mid 30s when they're really in their early 20s so it might age one over a period of time. The way I see it, it's sort of like the Sith from Star Wars, when they use the dark side, their eyes turn yellow and sometimes their skin changes too. I know people have tried to coerce me into using magic for unethical purposes which I of course refused but they would try to trick me into thinking it's good or that it'll improve my life better, when I know magic can also be extremely dangerous and uncontrolable and before I would use any spell, I'd know exactly what I'm dealing with first and I would never use it for unethical or bad purposes.

I feel scared a lot knowing there are people that wield such power and I have no way of defending myself or defending others. I of course can take advice here but practicing magic or channeling auras seem so risky. I even hear that sometimes people can become impaired for life because they did an incantation or ritual wrong and had to suffer for it for quite a long time.
                  It's probably wiser to have a mentor that actually knows magic but even that's risky since the person can claim they're teaching me magic for good purposes but might lead me astray and have me use magic for harmful purposes without even realizing it. It's so difficult to trust someone nowadays...and I know I sound paranoid but when you first doubt that such power exists which I did at first and then hear and read and witness people using such power, it's really scary knowing how they can hex you and you'd have no way of countering it unless you knew magic.
                  I think you're letting Hollywood, superstition and personal fear mess with your head.

What might be a good idea for you is to take a break from researching magic of all kinds, the occult, paranormal subjects, etc. for awhile. Just go outside and smell the roses. Regain your perspective a little before you give yourself a panic disorder over what essentially boils down to the big bad boogeyman hiding under your bed.
                  The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                    I think you're letting Hollywood, superstition and personal fear mess with your head.

What might be a good idea for you is to take a break from researching magic of all kinds, the occult, paranormal subjects, etc. for awhile. Just go outside and smell the roses. Regain your perspective a little before you give yourself a panic disorder over what essentially boils down to the big bad boogeyman hiding under your bed.
                    Agreed. It sounds like you (the OP) are just judging people by their looks. And let's say that 500,000 people in the US practice magic. Of those, those who practice dark magic maliciously will probably by less than 1%, but for now let's say it's 1%. That would make there 5,000 people. There are 319,000,000 people in the US. 5,000/319,000,000.

Compare that to how often people drive drunk, I think there's a bit of a difference in dangers here.

Comment

Aren't people malevolent (and/or many other synonyms) by nature? Am I the only one who attended that day of "human nature 101"? Just me? Ok then, just checking.

Comment

Originally posted by egregor View Post
                        Aren't people malevolent (and/or many other synonyms) by nature? Am I the only one who attended that day of "human nature 101"? Just me? Ok then, just checking.
                        It depends on your philosophical view. I'm more of a John Locke sort of girl: That humans are born good, and can later choose their benevolence or malevolence through knowledge and experience.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post

I have to agree with Perzephone, "dark sorcerers" don't run around looking like old men in dark robes acting crazy... It is possible to be a wee bit crazy and think you are a dark sorcerer, but thats a whole different subject. Keep in mind that magic is not really dark or light or white or whatever. Magic is. People can be nasty or greedy and use magic that way, but inherently not everyone believes there is a specific "price" or "punnishment" for certain kinds of magic.

You may find lots of nasty and crazy and older looking people who practice magic, but that really doesn't make them inherently evil... If magic had obvious consequences, why would they not translate to the mundane? You can't tell a rapist or serial killer by looking at them, you are not going to know someone by the intentions of the spells they cast...
                          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

There are many people who will try and make you believe that they are powerful and evil (why is it so rarely powerful and good, I wonder?) Ignore them. The real bastards are the ones you won't even see coming. A smiling face is no indicator of a good heart.

Others have given plenty of good advice here about protecting yourself so I won't go into that.

One thing I would say though, is that generalised nastiness is more likely to bother you if you're already nervous about it. It's a bit like bullies, they always pick their victims.

Please don't worry too much. Generally, life will be pretty good in many ways, if only you give it a chance.

And good luck!
                            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

When it comes to "dark magic", its been my experience that (and I've said this elsewhere) 1) Few people are that self-absorbed (and if you are around multiple people that *are* that self absorbed, find new friends and acquaintances), 2) even fewer people that *are* that self-absorbed have the ability to legitimately hex or curse someone (or work similar magics with any actual success), and 3) no one with that level of self-absorption has the ability to successfully hex or curse someone without their subconscious and implicit consent and permission. To be honest, the few people that I know that could legitimately hex or curse someone without their knowledge (or implicit assistance) wouldn't generally bother, if it wasn't for a good cause. Because, to have that level of skill, takes a certain degree of dedication and study and practice that most narcissistic assholes just don't have the patience for.

If you fear "dark magic", the best defense is to look at yourself.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X