Mischief/Trickster Gods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mischief/Trickster Gods

There are also several Animal Guides who could be considered Tricksters. Coyote and Raven are the obvious ones for Americans, but also consider Fox and Crow. I have also heard some people describe Rabbit as a trickster but I don't personally experience Rabbit like this, and I'm unsure where that association comes from.

In Australia it is Kookaburra who holds the most obvious Trickster title, along with Dingo, and certain cockatoo guides such as GangGang. We have Ravens and Crows, but their energy is slightly different and while there is a little Trickster in Australian Raven, it's less pronounced I think.

Also remember that there are different nuances to the Trickster archetype. There are wholly benevolent but mischievous Tricksters, joyful shit-stirrer Tricksters (particularly here in Australian lol), there are Tricksters who challenge authority, and Tricksters who have a harder, more malicious edge to them. Trickster energy is hard to pin down and often defies definition simply by virtue of being Trickster. Trickster spirits and deities are challenging, and they're meant to be.

- - - Updated - - -

I wanted to add also that Trickster does not necessarily equal benign mischief, which is what I was trying to get at with the nuance thing. Sometimes Trickster energy is chaos and disruption... Eris was listed in the original post, but Eris is not really the type of deity for some fun and light hearted mischief. She is one of those 'harder edge' Tricksters that one must be careful with. Loki can be like this sometimes also... which is why many consider him to be 'malevolent' (which he isn't).

So yeah... don't underestimate Tricksters or assume that they'll be up for some light=hearted trick or brightening up your day. Some of them have much more important jobs to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimistic discord View Post
      Loki being a trickster deity has been in debate for quite some time, He is as much a trickster as Odin, both are cunning, both shape shift, both carry out acts that are deemed "perverse" by other deities.
      I dont think of him as a trickster deity...complicated yes, one of the most powerful deities in the pantheon yes...Trickster not so much.
      This is an excellent point. There's a lot of gray area between that side of Loki and facet of Odin my spouse has sometimes referred to as "the chess player". Those two are two sides of the same coin in many ways.

Another side to Loki that people tend to not talk about so much is his ties to lost things...his ship at Ragnarock made of nail clippings, for example, or the folk traditions that tie him to the household hearth, including throwing children's lost baby teeth into it.
      Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

Father Raven of the Inuits and several other mythologies is a goodhearted trickster God. A great benefactor of the human race.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
          For me it's hard to identify a trickster god / goddess as many of them are not full time tricksters other than Coyote that I know of...
          Just wanted to toss in here that, depending on the tribe at hand, many of the Coyote's tricks were to teach tough lessons. I have always perceived Coyote to be perfectly willing to swindle you if you give him the opportunity, but that he doesn't particularly single people out for punishment and trickery. Generally, it was brought on by the actions of the "victim" and Coyote merely played a part as "living kharma" or something.
          No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bjorn View Post
            Just wanted to toss in here that, depending on the tribe at hand, many of the Coyote's tricks were to teach tough lessons. I have always perceived Coyote to be perfectly willing to swindle you if you give him the opportunity, but that he doesn't particularly single people out for punishment and trickery. Generally, it was brought on by the actions of the "victim" and Coyote merely played a part as "living kharma" or something.
            I can agree with that. Ironically I think Loki does much the same though he to is seen as the trickster.

I suppose in some sense one could look upon White Buffalo Calf Woman Comes Dancing in the same light in that one brave is destroyed who tries to take advantage of her while the one who does right is taught things that become sacred. As such it was a persons own choice and actions that resulted in punishment or reward.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Geb, Mercury(no he is not actually the same deity as Hermes), Hermes, and Lugh are considered trickster deities.

Comment

The trickster of the Lakota is Iktomi, though i would call him more of a teacher with a very unique educating style.

Comment

Set in the Kemetism. He was the lord og storms, the evil God, and the lord of the animals as I know.
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Susanoo is some times called a trickster God.

Comment

i always thought the coyote was the Trickster.
                      "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Working...
                      X