It's Tucson, Jake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Tucson, Jake.

It's all some horrible nightmare from which I cannot wake.

This town. This job. This culture.

Sometimes I wonder how normal people live, how they deal with each other at work and at home. I imagine that they, with their spouse and their 2.5 children and their dog or their cat live in normal houses, maybe eat dinner together or whatnot. Not this depravity, this never ending avalanche of fail and horror, this horrible toilet of weirdness.

Case assessment: Subject didn't get out of that Awful Place in 1989. Subject is in Hell.

And Hell is order, it is the trains running on time and nothing ever, ever changing. It is constantly falling and never hitting bottom. Consider: The world is in decline, and has been since anyone can remember...But it never actually crashes. It just gets worse and worse and there's no end to it.

Could that be anything other than Hell?

Betcha you were expecting demons in red spandex with ridiculous pitchforks, if you believed in Hell in the first place. No, sometimes they look like you and me, but they say things like "Might makes right" and "acceptable losses" and "minimal collateral damage". Or they're some fresh-faced kid in a two thousand dollar suit who says "there's no evidence that emissions from our facility have any connection to the rise in birth defects in the immediate surroundings."

A rational world would not include flying death robots dropping bombs all over 3rd world nations for no apparent reason or gain. It would not include the term "shaken baby syndrome". It would not involve ghastly grinning coroners insane shrinks and burned out cops taking all manner of pills and booze just to get through the day. I imagine it WOULD involve happy families and maybe, you know, getting some sleep once in a while.

And, unlike most people, I know precisely how I got here. You'd think that would help.

It doesn't.

And the thing that haunts me, you know, the thing that makes me shatter my whiskey glass right in my hand (ho ho! Explain THAT to your case worker), is that both of my children are, more or less, following in my footsteps. One's military, one's waiting to go. They both want to be coppers.

Well, at least we'll be together, right? Like all the Happy Families, here in the Happy Place.

Re: It's Tucson, Jake.

This is amazing.

Comment

Thanks. It wasn't intended to be anything but a bucket of puke.

I received a couple of PMs about it, one asking me why on Earth I'd be a cop, and the other giving me some good advice, ie, QUIT.

And that IS good advice, except for one thing...What would I do then? I mean, here's this great big sack of PTSD, he'd make the PERFECT salesman for our line of children's toys or whatever, right? Sadly, no. So the takeaway from this is one of the most important rules concerning Hell, so listen to me. Listen to me. Listen. To. Me. In Hell, you never look back.

Because, as the song goes, if you're going through hell, keep on going. There's some sort of membrane that keeps consciousness from ascending, and you can't stay where you are, not really, so you go deeper. Because maybe there's a way out at the very, very bottom. Or maybe not. But there's certainly no way out HERE, so there's no point in NOT moving.

Comment

I don't have anything to say to this one. So keep on moving my friend, forced retirement or a desk job can't be too far off, if you keep moving you will find a way through, one way or another...
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I know it's a small thing. I know it may make you only angrier. It might help, I don't know. If it doesn't, then I'm sorry.

Life's not hell for me anymore. When I was six years old, my mother was murdered. By the same people who were torturing me on a regular basis.

That was hell. I didn't know if, that day, I would get to go to school or not. Maybe I would. Maybe I'd piss them off, and they'd stake me out to be sunburned over 50% of my body until I blistered. They might have beaten me... or worse, beaten someone else or even killed another of the kids to punish me--it happened. In that time in my life, I always hoped they'd kill them, because being dead was better than being alive. But they figured out that I felt that way, and things got worse.

I saw my mother's face. I saw bone poking through her cheek. Her eyes stared at me, but they were wrong. I already knew she was dead, though, and all of my hope of ever escaping this very real hell died with her. All that they did to me was (and is) horrifying. What broke me was watching them carry my mother up the stairs, and knowing she was dead. You know, they told me, "If anyone ever tries to take you away from us, we'll kill them." And then I begged my mother to take me away and save me from the foster home. Then they killed her.

That's hell. Being 6 years old and feeling like you killed your mother because you begged her to save you, to run away with you and never look back... that's hell. Watching another child be tortured to punish you because you wouldn't participate willingly in depraved acts... that's hell.

And on the one hand, my heart breaks for you, because I know how much it hurts to see people in all of their darkness. But if it weren't for someone just like you... someone who was willing to walk into hell for one terrified, alone, helpless 6 year old... I'd be dead or still in hell. There are tears pouring down my face, thinking about what I went through, and the FACT that it took someone just like you to walk in there and drag me out. As and adult, I understand what I didn't then... the cost to those men.

I'm sorry. I'm sorry because it is so hard for you, and it hurts so much for you. I'm sorry that saving other people is hell for you. I'm crying so hard now because I'm sorry for the personal price you pay to be that guy that walks into hell so that someone like me can have our 1 kid, our 1 cat, and our suburban home.

I know "thank you" doesn't mean a whole lot when you have to be in hell every day of your adult life. But maybe it will give you some comfort to know that I never forget. When I tuck my sweet baby in at night and know that she'll never experience the childhood hell that I did... I owe it to those of you who have the courage to go into the pits of hell and save the hopeless.

It's not meaningless. It's not pointless. When I hold my sweet 6 year old and rock her and cuddle her, that's heaven. It's sweetness, and perfection. It's a momentary snapshot of everything that some cops gave to me 34 years ago when they rescued me. They gave me something more precious and sweeter than words can convey or express.

I'm sorry for your pain, for your regrets, for the hurt that has branded your soul. I'm sorry that you're in hell. But I'd kneel in front of you and kiss your hand in gratitude, because it's thanks to men like you that I am even alive. Thanks to men just like you that my daughter exists, and that I get to drop her off at Summer Camp and know she's safe.

Our soldiers are being misused, but that doesn't change the intent in many of their hearts. It doesn't change the fact that you are courageous and that you make a difference. A difference you may never even know about, but which may take someone from hell to hope.

I bless you, and I thank you.

Comment

Wow, Luce... that is some amazing writing. Just wow!
            We will be the jerks the world needs.

Comment

I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said anything. I can't take it down now, though. =(

I just wanted to say, in as meaningful way as I could, that what you do matters. Hearing how much it costs you broke my heart and brought me to tears. I didn't mean to take over the thread, only to tell you in as raw and real a way as I could how much what you do matters. How important you are and how great an impact you can have in an individual life and maybe never get to hear "thank you" from that person.

I'm sorry again. Sometimes I'm socially awkward.

Comment

Working...
              X