Asking the right questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asking the right questions

I came to PF to try and get myself back on track. I came to Wicca first at about age 13, moved on to just general paganism through high school. Through uni I fell out of all manner of practice at all. I'm now back in the country, I have my own place and I feel like I'm missing something - I want to find my answers back in my practice, and so here I am! But I know I won't just find the answers I seek, so I thought it best first, to find the right questions.

So I'm asking you all, who are often older and more experienced, and who have been through similar things before, 'what questions do I need to ask?' in order to find my answers.

Thanking you!
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Re: Asking the right questions

Have you had much luck in this as yet?
    There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
    William Wordsworth

Comment

Well... I know you've been around a little while now so your at least somewhat familiar with how the forum works, right? Read. Read. Read. Go explore the religious section, in detail if necessary. If you can't think of something to ask after going through the many threads... Read the archives. Read some more, outside of here. And then ask yourself, what am I missing? Cause a lot of things have been covered on here, some of them several times. If we think of a burning question we can't quickly google, it usually gets posted at some point. If I could think of a question right now, I'd make a post myself on it...

I know that may not be very helpful seeming but... We're an open-minded lot generally speaking. In fact... I'm not sure I can think of two people who believe exactly the same thing off the top of my head. That means that we assume the things we want to know will probably be different than what you do. And every path is different, it involves a lot of self-exploration and research if you're not going to fall into a mainstream way of doing things. And the mainstream stuff is, well, out there already. And also, no question is a stupid question once you've thought of it. The only time I've seen anyone on here get truly annoyed with a question, was when it was posted by someone who seems to be trolling.
      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I'd have to say in addition to Shahaku's post above there... I'd like to pose a counter question to you.

When you sit down and mull over what you already know and philosophies you've read about... "What makes you feel the most at peace?"

I think where people often get hung up on is that they feel like they have to apply certain labels to their beliefs or can only go into one direction. Sometimes it's not just one path that resonates with people. Sometimes... it's two or three aspects of different paths that do the trick. I think there is a term for that, too. Braiding.

It probably can't hurt to make a list about things you believe, things that make sense to you and things you don't believe. This may help you gain some sort of direction to go into and research.
        �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
        ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
        Sneak Attack
        Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
          Well... I know you've been around a little while now so your at least somewhat familiar with how the forum works, right? Read. Read. Read. Go explore the religious section, in detail if necessary. If you can't think of something to ask after going through the many threads... Read the archives. Read some more, outside of here. And then ask yourself, what am I missing? Cause a lot of things have been covered on here, some of them several times. If we think of a burning question we can't quickly google, it usually gets posted at some point. If I could think of a question right now, I'd make a post myself on it....
          Thanks Shahaku. Yeah I get that. But honestly, there is just SO MUCH to read, and I'm trying to start simple. I thought if I have some questions I want to answer to start with, that will help me narrow down my searches here. I feel overwhelmed just THINKING about going through the archives etc. I need to do it in manageable chunks!

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
          I'd have to say in addition to Shahaku's post above there... I'd like to pose a counter question to you.

When you sit down and mull over what you already know and philosophies you've read about... "What makes you feel the most at peace?"

I think where people often get hung up on is that they feel like they have to apply certain labels to their beliefs or can only go into one direction. Sometimes it's not just one path that resonates with people. Sometimes... it's two or three aspects of different paths that do the trick. I think there is a term for that, too. Braiding.

It probably can't hurt to make a list about things you believe, things that make sense to you and things you don't believe. This may help you gain some sort of direction to go into and research.
          haha, peace, I wish I had some of that! Peace, quiet and time to start on the threads haha!

Personally I have no intention on just the one label, or the one belief, or the one direction. I plan to have an ecletic mix of paths. Of course if I suddenly get pulled in the direction of one I'll do that too! But yeah, no intention to just be a 'xyz'.

Your list idea seems like a good start. I think breaking down what I know I do and don't believe will help. Thanks Juni!
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
            So I'm asking you all, who are often older and more experienced, and who have been through similar things before, 'what questions do I need to ask?' in order to find my answers.
            I went through this, a while back. I got into Wicca in high school, and was enthusiastic and creative about it. But as life dragged on, I devoted less and less time to it; and I encountered so much divisiveness in the religion, so much derision from old-guard types towards solitary practitioners like myself. So I kinda quit for a while, and described myself as just generally Pagan.

A couple years ago, I rebooted my faith and now regularly practise Wicca with a coven. To me, it's a matter of connecting. Just whatever it is you're trying to connect with, be it deities or mythology or history, make it personal and try to be open to whatever you come across.

Comment

Perhaps just my perspective but I think from the time of our first breath to the instance of our last ex-hailing of breath we are walking our path-walk. There will be high points filled with elation and jubilation, there will equally be low points marked by confusion, despair and a sense of loss and blindness. Then in many instances there will be periods, potentially long periods, of absolute nothing which I think tend to serve to make us question but also to give us time to consider and evaluate within and without.

To me there really is no one question, or even a series of them that will confirm or re-confirm what or where we are headed to and how we are to get there. At best I think it's simply a matte of watching, deciding, trying it out and then correcting. Unfortunately, I think part also derives from the common perception that Paganism is a free for all format where one can pick and choose what to include which many times causes us to have lopsided practices imho.

Even when we think we are sure, I think there are doubts that plague us all. Even today I find I have periods of uncertainty and doubt as to what, why, where and a thousand other things that raise their ugly heads. Some from trying to make things work that other's have said or written. Some simply from never delving deeper into something than the surface thus never really understanding the deeper meanings and purpose for it. In many ways the deeper stuff the hardest for it seem's in many pagan practices those notions hidden within the concept of "Inner Court" or "Mystical Revelations" that one has to be guided to and swear oaths to uphold and protect.

People talk about rebooting their faith or such but I'm not sure it really happens. I tend to think it simply the result of internal soul searching and evaluating. Sometimes taking them back to an earlier period, other times completely removing what was there and replacing it only to discover it was the right path to begin with. Much of it the so called "Dark Night of the Soul" notion where we question our faith and our spirituality.

I can't speak on Wicca as I never was initiated into a coven nor an individual eclectic practitioner so only have outer court knowledge of such. Those practices I was initiated into are oath bond so I tend not to speak upon them to much.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
              X