This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Illegally Passes a Law!

A supposed "safety" law that would shut down nearly all abortion clinics in Texas supposedly passed tonight, though many on…

I am so angry right now its stupid.

They illegally passed the law. I watched it happen on the livefeed.

Not to mention the President of the Senate just ignored people during the proceedings, which inspired this quote:

“Parliamentary inquiry: At what point must a female Senator raise her hand or voice in order to be heard over the male colleagues in the room?” -Leticia Van de Putte

So.... I'm angry, and upset at government (especially after the Supreme Court effectively killed section 5 of the voting rights act today and made it easier for employers to sexually harass people) so, I don't really know what to do with all this rage...

Just, this is messed up.
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Re: Texas Illegally Passes a Law!

I am with you... This is all crazy, and backwards and makes no sense. On the up-side, it may not be enforceable because of the way they passed it. On the down-side, if they voted again, at a legal hour, it may still pass...

Do they realise that if many clinics are shut down because of the law they are passing, it means many clinics were open and being utilised, enough to keep said clinics operating... This could bite them in the ass. I hope it does and I hope many of these moronic men take qa hit for the poor decision they made. They want all these babies born, but they don't want to have a safety net in place to care for these kids after they are born, that seems stupid...
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I agree. No offense, but I really wonder about certain states past a certain point on the USA map.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
        I agree. No offense, but I really wonder about certain states past a certain point on the USA map.
        yep, me too, its my own little bit of irrational fear... the mason-dixon line, and the mississippi river...

:shudders:

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
          yep, me too, its my own little bit of irrational fear... the mason-dixon line, and the mississippi river...

:shudders:
          For me, it's pretty much every state west of the Atlantic.

This Texas fiasco is just one of the latest, imo, of a long line of moves to make chattel out of us all.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Good News: They have since decided the illegal vote didn't count. Huzzah! The filibuster worked.

Well then, that makes my day a bit more chipper.
            hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
              Good News: They have since decided the illegal vote didn't count. Huzzah! The filibuster worked.

What a relief.

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post

I had a feeling that it would be ruled this way... I had hoped anyway... Yay!

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Yes, but they may just try it again. If they were able to 'pass' the law once, they certainly have the stupidity and needs to pass it again. Don't they realize that women will resort to shoving wire coat hangers in places it shouldn't go because they don't have access to proper abortion clinics? That they could effectively kill a desperate woman who hadn't meant to get pregnant, and can't afford to sustain a child?

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
                    Yes, but they may just try it again. If they were able to 'pass' the law once, they certainly have the stupidity and needs to pass it again. Don't they realize that women will resort to shoving wire coat hangers in places it shouldn't go because they don't have access to proper abortion clinics? That they could effectively kill a desperate woman who hadn't meant to get pregnant, and can't afford to sustain a child?
                    I don't agree with what happened in Texas, but this is the worst possible reasoning to legalize abortion.

Don't they realize that murderers are going to murder anyway? Let's make it legal!

Don't they realize that thieves will steal anyway? Let's make it legal! We don't want them to hurt themselves or get killed. Or kill someone while doing it!

Don't they realize that people are going to rape women anyway? Let's make it legal! That way, he can take the time to put a condom on and protect her from the BAD things like STDs and pregnancy!

This is not a logical argument. Making something legal because 'people will do it anyway and might injure themselves trying' isn't a valid argument. If you're going to make it into a valid argument, then you have to accept it as a valid argument about other things--worse things.

Comment

I wasn't trying to make an argument. I was actually making reference to one of the arguments made on a video I saw on this. Thing is about abortion, is that humanity cannot agree to the morals surrounding it. Some say you're "killing an innocent life and thus it's murder" and others say "The parents are obligated to make an informed decision about abortion if there is a proper reason for it".

Of course most if not all humans know that murder is wrong (Take into account this does not include mental unstable humans) and that taking something that you do not rightfully own is wrong. Abortion is one of those touchy subjects where it can swing either way. Good or bad. Personally, I think it should be illegal to use abortion as a 'quick fix'. There are women who frequently get pregnant, and then just abort the baby like it's just another day at the salon to get rid of some bothersome hair. There should be a 'cap' on just how many abortions one woman can have under a period of time, as well as there being a plausible reason for the woman to want to abort.

I swear, I'm going to get myself killed because of my opinions one of these days...

Comment

Originally posted by WinterTraditions View Post
                        I wasn't trying to make an argument. I was actually making reference to one of the arguments made on a video I saw on this. Thing is about abortion, is that humanity cannot agree to the morals surrounding it. Some say you're "killing an innocent life and thus it's murder" and others say "The parents are obligated to make an informed decision about abortion if there is a proper reason for it".

Of course most if not all humans know that murder is wrong (Take into account this does not include mental unstable humans) and that taking something that you do not rightfully own is wrong. Abortion is one of those touchy subjects where it can swing either way. Good or bad. Personally, I think it should be illegal to use abortion as a 'quick fix'. There are women who frequently get pregnant, and then just abort the baby like it's just another day at the salon to get rid of some bothersome hair. There should be a 'cap' on just how many abortions one woman can have under a period of time, as well as there being a plausible reason for the woman to want to abort.

I swear, I'm going to get myself killed because of my opinions one of these days...
                        I didn't see where you were quoting someone, sorry. And it doesn't matter about the gray area. It's very simple that it's not a valid excuse standing on its own. If we take it as a valid argument, then it becomes a valid argument to legalize things.... and that's not a good thing, lol.

I was neither arguing for or against abortion, just stating that this is not a valid argument in favor of abortion. I guess you were being sarcastic? I apologize if I missed it, lol. Some things don't translate well online, as we all know.

As far as getting killed for your opinions, I'm pretty certain that I'm right in that firing line with you, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post
                          This is not a logical argument. Making something legal because 'people will do it anyway and might injure themselves trying' isn't a valid argument. If you're going to make it into a valid argument, then you have to accept it as a valid argument about other things--worse things.
                          No, it's a good argument. Because unlike theft, murder, and rape, abortion is a medical procedure and MOST americans think it should be legal. It makes as much sense as arguing for legalizing marijuana because of the demonstrable harm the prohibition causes and because of the support for legality it has.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                            No, it's a good argument. Because unlike theft, murder, and rape, abortion is a medical procedure and MOST americans think it should be legal. It makes as much sense as arguing for legalizing marijuana because of the demonstrable harm the prohibition causes and because of the support for legality it has.
                            There are multitudes of reasons to use to argue for it. That it is "a medical procedure and MOST americans think it should be legal" is one. "People will do it, anyway" is NOT one.

The same thing goes for anything else. Of course people will do ANYTHING anyway. Even things that the rest of us can all get on board as something that SHOULD BE illegal, people will do anyway. So it's not a valid argument, because it's true of EVERYTHING.

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post
                              I didn't see where you were quoting someone, sorry. And it doesn't matter about the gray area. It's very simple that it's not a valid excuse standing on its own. If we take it as a valid argument, then it becomes a valid argument to legalize things.... and that's not a good thing, lol.

I was neither arguing for or against abortion, just stating that this is not a valid argument in favor of abortion. I guess you were being sarcastic? I apologize if I missed it, lol. Some things don't translate well online, as we all know.

As far as getting killed for your opinions, I'm pretty certain that I'm right in that firing line with you, lol.
                              Yeah. One reason why the internet sucks. You cannot tell tone! Most of our communication skills are made through physical gestures as well, so text on a screen doesn't exactly get a message across half as easy. lol.

Now I'm just trying to find that darn video! I'm not sure who it was that said it, but it was a woman. She held up a wire coat hanger and said something along the lines of "You all know what this is. I don't want a woman to have to be forced to use this on herself" ect.

Comment

Working...
                              X