Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

well the supreme court did something right.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well the supreme court did something right.

Supreme court ruling on DOMA.
    At least theres 1 thing they can do right.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Re: well the supreme court did something right.

Thank. God. Yes.

Yesterday they made my super unhappy.

Today they make me happy.

Yay.

This is such good news.
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

It's a big step the right direction. I get tired of arguing that marriage isn't only about saying, "oh look, this is my spouse". It comes with substantial rights and privileges from a legal perspective. Visiting your loved one in hospital. Making medical choices for your disabled spouse. The right to adopt children together. The right to take each others' name. There are many more.

It isn't about "stealing the word marriage", it's about legal rights (and obligations!).

Most importantly of all, regardless of the issue, the Fed should not be interfering in State decisions beyond barring them from breaching Constitutional Rights. Allowing gay marriage does not breach Constitutional Rights, while preventing them, does.

I am pleasantly surprised by this and rather heartened.

Comment

Originally posted by SPhoenix View Post
        It's a big step the right direction. I get tired of arguing that marriage isn't only about saying, "oh look, this is my spouse". It comes with substantial rights and privileges from a legal perspective. Visiting your loved one in hospital. Making medical choices for your disabled spouse. The right to adopt children together. The right to take each others' name. There are many more.

It isn't about "stealing the word marriage", it's about legal rights (and obligations!).

Most importantly of all, regardless of the issue, the Fed should not be interfering in State decisions beyond barring them from breaching Constitutional Rights. Allowing gay marriage does not breach Constitutional Rights, while preventing them, does.

I am pleasantly surprised by this and rather heartened.
        Damn Skippy!
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Yayyyyy good job, guys!

Comment

To paraphrase MLK, who paraphrased Theodore Parker: The arc of the Universe is long, but it bends towards justice...

Look at the facts of the world. You see a continual and progressive triumph of the right. I do not pretend to understand the moral universe, the arc is a long one, my eye reaches but little ways. I cannot calculate the curve and complete the figure by the experience of sight; I can divine it by conscience. But from what I see I am sure it bends towards justice.

(the original, from an 1857 essay by Theodore Parker, Unitarian minister, Transcendentalist, and abolitionist)
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

As a member of the LGBT community, I am extremely happy about the DOMA and Prop. 8 rulings of this morning. However I am extremely worried that all of the good news will overshadow the incredibly shameful decision to strike down the VRA.

Comment

Originally posted by Unlogisch View Post
                As a member of the LGBT community, I am extremely happy about the DOMA and Prop. 8 rulings of this morning. However I am extremely worried that all of the good news will overshadow the incredibly shameful decision to strike down the VRA.
                And that's the long and the short of it. It was a trade off. At which point in our history constitutionality became a trade off is a mystery to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Luce View Post
                  And that's the long and the short of it. It was a trade off. At which point in our history constitutionality became a trade off is a mystery to me.
                  Yeah, it was a distraction from ALL THE OTHER HORRIBLE STUFF THEY'VE BEEN RULING.

And gay people still can't get married in most states, so no skin off of SCOTUS.

Comment

Originally posted by Luce View Post
                    Its always been that way. I mean really, look at Dred Scott and Plessy vs Ferguson. Over the long term, we get more liberal and more fair. In the short term though, its one step forward, two steps back, one giant leap forward, one step back, two steps forward, one punt to the left, another shift to the right, one step forward, ad nauseum.

...just keep your eye on that arc of the universe....its curve is slow, but its still bending towards justice (as long as we all keep sittin on that justice end of business!!)
                    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                    sigpic

Comment

As though I need someone's permission to give my partner a Rusty Venture. A puny victory in the face of pervasive oppression.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        Its always been that way. I mean really, look at Dred Scott and Plessy vs Ferguson. Over the long term, we get more liberal and more fair. In the short term though, its one step forward, two steps back, one giant leap forward, one step back, two steps forward, one punt to the left, another shift to the right, one step forward, ad nauseum.

...just keep your eye on that arc of the universe....its curve is slow, but its still bending towards justice (as long as we all keep sittin on that justice end of business!!)

We keep muddling toward a better future. I wish people would be more aware of the historical process of moving toward increasing freedom. I've lived long enough to see the strides we have made in the last 50 years, and I can not help but be optimist about the future based on the changes which have taken place in the past.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                          As though I need someone's permission to give my partner a Rusty Venture. A puny victory in the face of pervasive oppression.
                          You have no idea what pervasive oppression is.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Diogenes View Post
                            A victory is a victory. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. As long as our steps are going the right direction, there's hope for the finish line.

Comment

One thing needs to be understood,there is much personal ideology within the Court. It is supposed to be a bastion of unbiased decisions,but the Judges are as human as the rest of us. Even with the notion that their decisions should be strictly based on Law and its interpretation,still their personal views seep in in their decisions.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Working...
                              X