a few heathen questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few heathen questions.

first question: what are the differences amongst the heathen religions? iv'e heard here that some vary slightly, but iv'e never heard that anywhere else. and, amongst the variations, which one is closest to the origional heathen religion?

second question: do some prefer to only worship one god? iv'e heard terms like "lokean" on here as well, but i was always under the impression that all gods were equally important in their own way.

third question: this question will most likely be answered with more then one answer, as opinions may vary. in the 9 noble virtues, it lists hospitality. but contradicting this, iv'e heard a heathen would rather steal then take a handout. self reliance is important. how does one distinguish hospitality or a gift, from a hand out, in the heathen perspective.

thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and answer my questions.

Re: a few heathen questions.

Originally posted by Nordic_Wolf View Post
    first question: what are the differences amongst the heathen religions? iv'e heard here that some vary slightly, but iv'e never heard that anywhere else. and, amongst the variations, which one is closest to the origional heathen religion?

second question: do some prefer to only worship one god? iv'e heard terms like "lokean" on here as well, but i was always under the impression that all gods were equally important in their own way.

third question: this question will most likely be answered with more then one answer, as opinions may vary. in the 9 noble virtues, it lists hospitality. but contradicting this, iv'e heard a heathen would rather steal then take a handout. self reliance is important. how does one distinguish hospitality or a gift, from a hand out, in the heathen perspective.

thank you all in advance for taking the time to read and answer my questions.
    Very good questions, the type that would be difficult to answer in a face to face several hour conversation. So I'm going to refer you to a couple of great on-line resources.

www.heathengods.com/library is the site of Jotun's Bane Kindred, and contains hundreds of free download-able books, essays and other materials (these Folk are in the KC, MO area).

www.northvegr.org is a great resource for works such as the Eddas, the various Sagas, and so forth.

I particularly suggest reading Sagas of Icelanders, it might go a long way to answering number three.
    I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and CountryTribe of my Tribe
    Clan of my Clan
    Kin of my Kin
    Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
    And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

thanks for the references, i'll be sure to check them out.

Comment

The different folkways in heathenry can be what original location one is inspired by in their reconstruction/revivalism such as: Norse, Continental Germanic, Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, etc. There are also Northern Traditionalist who are more shamanic, Vanatru that focus on the Vanir, Wotanist that are racist, and Norse Wiccans.

It isn't uncommon to have a main deity. If you're a farmer then an agricultural deity would make sense as your main god. If you're a wife and mother then Frigga would get more of the focus. All gods are present and functioning in the world around you, and equally important, yet you might need the assistance of one more than the rest.

The Nine Noble Virtues are simply a modern response to the Wiccan rede and aren't really considered as valid anymore. The gifting relationship is important to heathenry though, but is always reciprocal. The gods gift us we gift them, we gift the gods they gift us, if someone offers you charity your repay them when and how you can. It's about a harmonious give and take and maintaining a balance in frith (peace).

The best, IMO, heathen board on the web is www.asatrulore.org. Read the welcome by Jill/Brisingamen to get a feel for board culture.

Comment

Originally posted by Wednesday View Post
          The different folkways in heathenry can be what original location one is inspired by in their reconstruction/revivalism such as: Norse, Continental Germanic, Celtic, Anglo-Saxon, etc. There are also Northern Traditionalist who are more shamanic, Vanatru that focus on the Vanir, Wotanist that are racist, and Norse Wiccans.
          If Vanatru is the Vanir, does that make Asatru the Aesir?
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

The Aesir and Vanir are both gods of the Asatruar (the Vanir we know of from myth are counted among the Aesir). Vanatru is a play on Asatru, and the followers of that faith are primalrily devoted to the Vanir and embrace an interpretation of a the Vanir values.

Edit: I think Vantruar also have an extended pantheon supplemented by UPG and interpretations of the literature with gods that aren't included in the "official" pantheon. I'm not 100% sure on that, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              If Vanatru is the Vanir, does that make Asatru the Aesir?
              Technically, yes. Practically, not really. The term Aesir is generally taken to include the Vanir. It's got to do with all the hostage swapping that took place after the Vanir-Aesir war. The Vanir won, but the Aesir took over (hey, I didn't write it, I just re-tell it). So Asatru (a relatively modern word, coined in the 1800s, I seem to recall) is also generally inclusive of both.
              I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Clan of my Clan
              Kin of my Kin
              Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,

Comment

Even more technical, Aesir simply means "gods", not a race of divine beings, and "god" simply means a ruling power or "reginn" (another term for gods). Human females were sometimes regarded as gods (a ruling power through prophecy), and a version of Freyr has him as a human king that became a god (ruling power through immense luck). Aesir is simply a term of status and influence, as in, being an Aesir is a higher status then being a wight.

Comment

I feel as if the hospitality is sort of fulfilling your social obligations. You should respect others, and if they show you hospitality, you must return the favor.

Comment

I wouldn't quite describe myself as heathen - but then again I have a strong interest in the Anglo-Saxons, who were rather different from the Norse tradition in some ways. The problem of course is that there is nothing written down by the heathen Anglo-Saxons, only a view of them by the Christians who came rather later. So really we have to view heathen Anglo-Saxons through a Christian lens (though it's worth pointing out that Snorri Sturluson was a Christian, too).

If Anglo-Saxon heathenism happens to be your interest, then I have a book up on Kindle (because it's cheaper for readers in the US than shipping the paperback out there) here: http://www.amazon.com/The-Magical-Wo...=tylluan+penry

Even if you don't want to buy it, you can look inside for free!
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

so, basically, in the heathen perspective, as long as you repay your debts, it isn't considered a hand out? for example, if i was loaned money, and i repayed it after i got the chance, would that be considered acceptable?

Comment

We're mixing debts and hospitality. From Havamal:

All hail to the givers! A guest hath come
                        say where shall he sit?
                        In haste is he to the hall who cometh
                        to find a place by the fire.
                        Havamal 2:1-4

The warmth seeketh who hath wandered long
                        and is numb about his knees;
                        meat and dry clothes the man needeth
                        over the fells who hath fared.
                        Havamal 3:1-4

A drink needeth and full dishes who cometh,
                        a towel, and prayer to partake;
                        good bearing eke, to be well liked
                        and be bidden to banquet again.
                        Havamal 4:1-4

Hospitality is repaid when possible, but always paid forward. Hospitality is given because it's just good manners to share with a guest.

If someone has loaned you money, it should be repaid. If someone has given you money, then the kindness should be returned or paid forward.

I hope this makes sense. Typing on the phone, fighting the auto-spell makes me more than a little crazy.

Clan of my Clan
                        Kin of my Kin
                        Blood of my Blood

Comment

Also, never confuse a hand out with a hand up.
                          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

so, if a man walked into my home from the rain, and i gave him dry clothes (for example) to be a good person and show manners (showing hospitality) he would only be expected to do the same if the same situation arised, where i showed up at his home wet from rain (not that this situation is likely, but just an example). on the other hand, if a man helps me cut wood for the winter, i am expected to do the same for him, to repay my debt?

Comment

If you're weighing out how much you need to do (or not do) to repay your debts are you really being that honorable?If someone gave you a coat and then needed twenty bucks later are you seriously going to be stingy about the terms of a debt? Just be a decent person, within reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X