My Weird Childhood Story 8D!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Weird Childhood Story 8D!

I was trying to figure out where to put this, and I decided putting it in either the section for Heathen's or the section for Abrahamic faiths, but I decided it would be disrespectful to put it in either place (though if a mod feels differently shove this anywhere you want!) I told this tale to my girlfriend, and she thought it was cool and funny, as have other people I've told since, and heck I think its hilarious! So here goes:

Once, a long time ago, little Malflick had a favorite book to read: it was "
    D'Aulaires' Book of Norse Myths" I devoured that thing cover to cover. Well, that and "X-Wing: Rogue Squadron",
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Re: My Weird Childhood Story 8D!

Actually, I am not so surprised you thought this, it was an active conversion tactic at one point... So I think your 5 year old self is totally forgiven!

(I used to think god "lived" in the AC grate on the ceiling above the pulpit, cause the preacher always talked about god above, and it looked a bit like a prison... so believe me, I get it!)
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
      Actually, I am not so surprised you thought this, it was an active conversion tactic at one point... So I think your 5 year old self is totally forgiven!

(I used to think god "lived" in the AC grate on the ceiling above the pulpit, cause the preacher always talked about god above, and it looked a bit like a prison... so believe me, I get it!)
      I didn't know that was an active conversion tactic. That explains that. I used to think it was Sad YHWH never got to hang out with Loki, because he was dead. I thought they could have had funtimes.

(That's a pretty good tale about the AC grate! I'm glad you get it. That was oddly extremely reassuring.)

Comment

That was a good laugh Malflick Childhood was a time when we more or less crafted our own universes, and were happy doing it.

May I say, that in the old Norse stories. Baldur survived Rangnarok to become the chief god (What Odin is now) in the next era. Basically it was a recycling of the old to bring in the new. It is believed that because of Baldurs peaceful ways the next era would be one of peace, where Odin enjoys a good combat from time to time. Also, it is likely that Baldur was completely made up by Christianity to help convert native Norse Pagans, by basically saying "Look, Odin dies, and a peaceful beautiful god takes his place, wait a second, that looks a lot like our god, come on over we have a head start!" Or something like that. I take no offence though, the catholic church was a feisty bugger back then.

Also, "The world gets super blown up" is a really nice way of describing the mythical Ragnarok. A lot of incest, serpents, fire, and earthquakes are also included. Also Lif and Lifthrasir were creations of the catholic church to do more or less the same thing.

Also YHWH and Loki would be the best of friends. I could see how that would play out.

Loki would do something terrible to YHWH's discontent, and then Loki would go fix it up much better than it was before as is his way, rinse wash repeat

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry if that was confusing because I bounced from Norse lore to Catholic conversion creations a bit.
        White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
        sigpic
        In Days of yore,
        From Britain's shore
        Wolfe the dauntless hero came
        And planted firm Britannia's flag
        On Canada's fair domain.
        Here may it wave,
        Our boast, our pride
        And joined in love together,
        The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
        The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I figured out later that Lif and Lifthrasir were creations of the Church, but I had no idea Baldur might have been one as well. I always liked Baldur XD. I guess they knew their target audience.

I would like to see Loki & YHWH adventures. Why wasn't that a holy book? It would have been a fun read certainly... And actually the two of them would work well together for exactly the reasons you just stated o_O!!!! I never thought of that. Huh.

I'm glad you appreciated my tale ^_^. I was an interesting child, in my Christo-Norseness.

- - - Updated - - -

It wasn't confusing-- the book I read was entirely a mishmash of both those two things, so actually your post made perfect sense!

Somehow Norse myth always seems close to me somehow, probably because I honestly DO still associate it with my Catholic upbringing in a weird way. It reminds me of God, as much as that is odd .

Comment

I realized now I kind of did a similar thing, Only I did not realize it.

When I was young I was obsessed with medieval times, and knights and chivalry. And I used to think, "Would god let me battle in Heaven as a medieval knight and If I died he could just bring me back to heaven?" And I actually prayed to YHWH for quite a while asking this of him, how ignorant a request that was lol But when I picked up Norse Paganism I realized Valhalla is kind of exactly what I always thought I could try and get from Christianity. Battle in the day, feast at night. I was really delighted and kind of astounded at the coincidence.

So in a way, a lot more minor, but in a way I blended Norse and christian religion too at a young age.
            Last edited by Doc_Holliday; 09 Jul 2013, 22:31.
            sigpic
            In Days of yore,
            From Britain's shore
            On Canada's fair domain.
            Here may it wave,
            Our boast, our pride
            The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

That's kind of fascinating we both did that in minor ways! I was obsessed with those things to as a kid XD!

Its an amazing co-incidence indeed. Your dream come true lol.

Its weird, I can still remember sitting in my basement under the table, thinking of ways to honor the dead Gods who came before my God, and praying to YHWH hoping he was taking care of them (did I assume Gods had souls? How did this work? Best not to think about it too hard!)...

Comment

Funny how as a child you had a large elaborate religion setup just from a few years of studying. When for example Gerald Gardner the creator of Wicca spent years and years in studying and learning.

Malflick, you could have an amazing career as a cult leader if Christianity ever fails you. (I kid )

Kind of makes me miss childhood when if you willed something to be real it kind of was in your own little way. Life was a lot happier then, for me at least.
                sigpic
                In Days of yore,
                From Britain's shore
                On Canada's fair domain.
                Here may it wave,
                Our boast, our pride
                The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I wanted to be a Priest when I was a kid, then I hit puberty and well... I was Catholic, they can't marry, and I jut liked girls too gosh darn much!

I'll keep my cult leader options open ... But I never thought about that being unique or even elaborate, yet you're right, it very much is.

I miss that about childhood as well, though I've been learning recently how much of its wonder I can rediscover simply by being open to new things, and not judging on sight.... Life has been very unhappy for me until recently, so I know your feelings.

- - - Updated - - -

(though my childhood was awesome, it was only later it got crappy)

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                    I wanted to be a Priest when I was a kid, then I hit puberty and well... I was Catholic, they can't marry, and I jut liked girls too gosh darn much!
                    I myself am still technically ordained within the Presbyterian church, Haven't got seminary though so no proper preaching for me! That's probably for the best...
                    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                    X