Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Food Addiction: First Steps

Originally posted by dgirl1986 View Post

yeah that kind of thing certainly doesnt help. When I was younger my fathers mother would sit me in front of a movie with a jar of biscuits in one hand and a jar of lollies in the other.
    I'm not too sure what I'm picturing as "biscuits" and "lollies" are what you mean,. Please describe.....
    sigpic
    Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
      I'm not too sure what I'm picturing as "biscuits" and "lollies" are what you mean,. Please describe.....
      Click image for larger version

Name:	AU-1528688_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	351818Click image for larger version

Name:	Party-Mix.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	351819

These
      There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

Come forth into the light of things, let nature be your teacher. -
      William Wordsworth

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1891[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]1892[/ATTACH]

These
        Thanks! I would call that cookies and candy. Biscuits are a breakfast bread and lollies are lollipops, in my world LOL
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
          Thanks! I would call that cookies and candy. Biscuits are a breakfast bread and lollies are lollipops, in my world LOL
          Lol I guess we use the english terms for these haha. I take it you are from the US then :P
          There is something pagan in me that I cannot shake off. In short, I deny nothing, but doubt everything. - Lord Byron

William Wordsworth

Comment

Lol I guess we use the english terms for these haha. I take it you are from the US then :P
            Yes I am! I'm a Jersey girl planted in the Midwest Ozarks.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
              Off Topic: Do you happen to still have the names/authors/links of the book and recording? You can pm me if we're trying to keep this thread on topic.
              Well, it's not entirely off-topic, I mean, addictions addiction after all!

I'm on my phone and although I can kid myself that I'll remember to do this when I get home, I know myself better than that. So I'll just try to remember off the top of my head for now. The book is called 'From Chocker to Non-smoker, and is purple. It uses playful fonts, kind of like you'd see in a spell book aimed at teens, but I think it just makes it more friendly and accessible. The recording is a little harder. I think his name is Dan Jones. So if you go to YouTube and put in 'quit smoking hypnosis' you should find one by Dan. I think it says somewhere in the description that it isn't the full recording, but it is complete and takes you from start to finish. You know you have the right one if it is to the sound of drumming, with no music. Sorry to make it so awkward.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                Different methods for different people and all, but speaking as someone who is familiar with food addiction? The cold turkey approach seems to lead to more issues for a lot of people. Yeah, it might work for some, but it's best to be aware of the problems that can come up with that approach, such as...

The problem with this from a food addiction perspective, rather than say a dieting one, is that you run a risk of simply replacing one addiction with another. I mean, replacing cake with say, carrots or whatever, it sounds helpful, but if you then sit and eat carrots until you're sick (which is what often happens with a food addict) then you're not much better off. Yeah, maybe it's better than eating that much cake, but the problem's still there. That's also the issue with the cold turkey approach - you simply can't stop eating. An alcoholic or smoker can just stop totally, but you have to eat, of course. So the idea of just totally giving up all the foods you love leads to that replacement problem - or, in a lot of cases to doing well for a while then going on a total binge.

I think this is why it's really important to not only get some support from other addicts, but also to actually get professional help and talk about the various methods before just going at it, if that's possible to do.
                I see what you're saying. I guess I don't really know anyone who was actually addicted to food (only cigarettes and booze), and though there are foods that I like a lot (chocolate), I'd hardly call myself addicted to any of them. Unless we're talking about coffee, which is more of a caffeine addiction.

- - - Updated - - -

That is what I have started doing, finding alternatives for the foods I should stay away from. Some of them are really tasty, some not so much lol.
                Yeah, the trick is pretty much a trial and error sort of thing. Some things you will like, and some you will not.

For the sweet stuff, I'd give Chocolate Covered Katie's blog a try. I've recommended it here before, but she has a lot of dessert recipes that are based on fruit and other plant sources. Some are straight-up delicious.

Comment

Can I also mention one other thing that I have learned the hard way. If there are foods that you have cut entirely from your diet, but really enjoy eating, try to remove yourself from situations where they are presented. For instance, a family dinner where the only food on the table is garlic bread and pasta, and you are not supposed to be eating them, I would avoid sitting there with the family. Try to be nice about it, but be firm, especially if the family is like hawkfeathers, where you will be pressured to eat. Even if you have something else in front of you, it can be hard to muster that willpower if the food is within arms reach. I have to stay out of the kitchen entirely on pasta dinner nights, because while the family knows I am trying not to eat these foods, they make no bones about trying to encourage me to eat them... Your family may be less manipulative, but they also may not mean to be putting pressure on you...
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    Well, it's not entirely off-topic, I mean, addictions addiction after all!

I'm on my phone and although I can kid myself that I'll remember to do this when I get home, I know myself better than that. So I'll just try to remember off the top of my head for now. The book is called 'From Chocker to Non-smoker, and is purple. It uses playful fonts, kind of like you'd see in a spell book aimed at teens, but I think it just makes it more friendly and accessible. The recording is a little harder. I think his name is Dan Jones. So if you go to YouTube and put in 'quit smoking hypnosis' you should find one by Dan. I think it says somewhere in the description that it isn't the full recording, but it is complete and takes you from start to finish. You know you have the right one if it is to the sound of drumming, with no music. Sorry to make it so awkward.
                    Can't have been that awkward. I found both within 5 minutes. =P Thanks! *favorites links on hubby's pc...*

Comment

Epic fail of mass proportions...I was doing so well yesterday. I had a good amount of snacks, I had rice paper rolls for lunch which were delicious. Then the buttered white roll craving started. I put a 5 dollar note in my pocket and went to to the deli but they didn't have any left. I would've picked up the sugarless biscuits but I didn't have enough on me (luckily) but my "need" for these damn rolls was seriously overwhelming so on my way home I stopped at woolies and grabbed a bag of 6 rolls.

I only intended on having 2...I ended up having the whole lot and felt like I was going to explode after. Whole day of good eating RUINED. I hope this gets easier...at least I didn't pick up any biscuits or chocolate like I really wanted to I guess.

William Wordsworth

Comment

I only intended on having 2...I ended up having the whole lot and felt like I was going to explode after. Whole day of good eating RUINED. I hope this gets easier...at least I didn't pick up any biscuits or chocolate like I really wanted to I guess.
                        I don't know if it would be helpful for you, but sometimes it's better to think in terms of weeks instead of individual days. In terms of calories and such, an overall week matters more than an individual day, if that makes sense... So as long as it's not an everyday thing, you don't have to worry too much about a ruined day, because you can still pick yourself up and have a good week. And like you said, you didn't get biscuits and chocolate, and that's a good change! Small victories are still victories.

I've been dealing with food issues for a few months as well (although a bit different from yours), and it really does get easier. I still have bad days, probably always will to be truthful, but I've noticed even the bad days aren't as bad as they used to be. It's like you say here, I might eat waaay to much of X - but in the past I'd have Y and Z too... so it's still not as bad as it used to be.
                        Hearth and Hedge

Comment

Originally posted by Gardenia View Post
                          I don't know if it would be helpful for you, but sometimes it's better to think in terms of weeks instead of individual days. In terms of calories and such, an overall week matters more than an individual day, if that makes sense... So as long as it's not an everyday thing, you don't have to worry too much about a ruined day, because you can still pick yourself up and have a good week. And like you said, you didn't get biscuits and chocolate, and that's a good change! Small victories are still victories.

I've been dealing with food issues for a few months as well (although a bit different from yours), and it really does get easier. I still have bad days, probably always will to be truthful, but I've noticed even the bad days aren't as bad as they used to be. It's like you say here, I might eat waaay to much of X - but in the past I'd have Y and Z too... so it's still not as bad as it used to be.
                          Ive never had so many bread rolls in my life! Usually though on a bad day I would have a block of chocolate, a pack of biscuits and a pastry so I guess my brain just latched onto buttered rolls. I think if I hadnt had butter on it I wouldnt have eaten so many. SO I think I have to ditch butter.

William Wordsworth

Comment

I feel like I am totally kicking my brains butt with this right now! Feeling pretty good about myself. I have been really good for a two whole days without crazy cravings or mood lows etc. And I found a new low calorie/low sugar snack that will hit that sweet spot as well without feeding my sugar addiction! WIN WIN WIN.

After the bread and biscuit incident my weight went up to 127.4kg but is now back down to 126.1kg which doesnt sound like a much but it feels like a proper start. YAY

William Wordsworth

Comment

I feel like I am totally kicking my brains butt with this right now! Feeling pretty good about myself. I have been really good for a two whole days without crazy cravings or mood lows etc. And I found a new low calorie/low sugar snack that will hit that sweet spot as well without feeding my sugar addiction! WIN WIN WIN.

After the bread and biscuit incident my weight went up to 127.4kg but is now back down to 126.1kg which doesnt sound like a much but it feels like a proper start. YAY
                              Keep it up D Girl! You be da IT GIRL!
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

First off YAY! Look, you gotta start however you start, and you are going to have good days and bad ones.

I do have one concern though--From my own experiences....looking at the scale is one of the worst behaviors on a diet, ever. Particularly from day-to-day. Your weight will fluxuate for so many reasons, that a scale just isn't reliable on a daily (or, I would argue, even weekly basis)--heck, you can "gain" 3-4 lbs in the course of the day (or for that matter loose it) without doing anything out of the ordinary.

When I was in the Navy (and the scale mattered), a friend of mine who was a medical officer (she was a nutritionist and also worked as a personal trainer on the side) told me this: "Check the scale once a month, about a week to 10 days after your period...and then tuck it away in your closet and don't think about it until next month. Write the number down in your FOOD JOURNAL--which should record what you eat and drink and what you do to work out, as well as mood, regular activity, major stressors, medical problems, and how you've been sleeping* (we've had diet convos here, I'm a huge fan of a "fitness journal")--if you've gained or lost, look at what you did that month and modify your routine. Don't focus on an individual day, focus on the overall trend!"

That has been the best advice I've ever had--when I've done it, I've stayed healthy and in shape, and done better emotionally as well. When I haven't, I've gained (or not been able to lose).

*lack of sleep and too much stress can be huge reasons for gaining weight, regardless of what you eat...and they can both also cause you to overeat
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X