This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My neglected project: KemeticCalendar.org

Some folks may remember I had a brief... shall we say iobsession with the kemetic calendar and its adaptation for use by modern pagans. Initially, when I reached out to the community, most folks said "too hard, don't try." Well, Sekhmet doesn't let a person give up that easily. After surviving some rather painful physical ailments that cannot have been coincidental, I sank my teeth into the problem.
    My research was, to say the least, daunting. I initially wanted to create a small computer program to calculate the entire year based on an arbitrary new year (Wp Rnpt) date. Arbitrary, of course, since no two kemetics seem to agree on when it should be. And because it doesn't matter to what I'm trying to do.
    Well, as it turns out, the 360-day calendar was used in Kemet by secular administrators. The religious folk always used a lunar calendar. And that is, of course, bloody impossible to work with.
    So I turned my research in another direction and set out to compile as complete a list as possible of Kemetic festivals, cross-referencing sources to get as accurate as possible an idea when they ought to be celebrated.
    The result, so far, is this:

It is nowhere near as complete as I'd like, and lately I've been busy with work and family and unable to work on it, but I feel it's off to a great start.

from the page:
    Welcome to the Kemetic Calendar Wiki. The goal of this project is to create a framework for a calendar which can be used by practitioners of various Kemetic Pagan faiths. By association, this wiki will also contain as much detailed information as possible on the actual meanings and practices of the many festivals and holidays on the Kemetic Calendar (and other related subjects as appropriate).

This information is currently assembled under a Creative Commons license. Visitors are encouraged to contribute any information regarding Kemetic calendar dates, including revisions to the dates themselves or definitions of the various festivals, their meanings, and ways to adapt them to modern practice.

Unfortunately, Archaeological records in many cases only include names and dates, and not details. Modern historians seem to have a trend of glossing over the "we don't know" parts of their information in order to appear more knowledgeable. Anything where verifiable data cannot be found will be listed as "Historical Data: to be added / unverifiable." Efforts will be made to flesh out these entries for the benefit of modern practitioners in the form of a "UPG and Unverified Data" section. The first example of this to be added was Day of the Executioners of Sekhmet.

IMPORTANT: Any information not cited to authentic archeological or historical data is Unverified Personal Gnosis and MUST be labeled as such, to protect the validity of this Wiki as a whole. There is far too much misinformation on the internet regarding Kemetic traditions, and we will not contribute to the spread of falsehoods regarding the ancient ways. The administration of this Wiki respect the validity of UPG as a religious practice and welcome its inclusion, as it may well help others to come to the faith, but we wish to make such things extremely clear to save others the confusion we ourselves have suffered. Holidays with no basis in ancient practice will be left off the calendar for the time being. No matter what the educational background of an author, if that author does not cite source data, their writings are to be considered UPG.

Contact jreinsch@gmail.com for all questions, comments or queries.
    I want to invite everyone not only to use and share this site as a resource, but to contribute to it as well! The internet is plagued with misleading, incomplete or confusing information about Kemetic traditions. Let's make at least one little corner of truth.
    Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Re: My neglected project: KemeticCalendar.org

Glad to see you're back. I'll see if I can dig up more of my sources for you since I'm working on a similar project.
    my etsy store
    My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
    surrounded by plush, downy things,
    ill prepared, but willing,
    to descend."

Comment

Many thanks. If you check the page with the list of holidays, I've cited the sources I used. I had to throw out the data from the Ancient Egyptian Prayerbook as it had too many inconsistencies and discrepancies when compared to my other sources, and the author's response to my queries, while friendly, boiled down to "It's flawed and in need of revision; within our church (Kemetic Orthodoxy) we send out yearly calendars."
      Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

Most of my work, as a forewarning, center around the decans right now. I had a working idea of what they might be, but I'm starting to see where it needs lots of work and more research.
        my etsy store
        My blog

to descend."

Comment

Here's one site about the decans that has proven to be helpful. It's in French, but don't let that deter you:

Culture Diff' : diffusion de la culture scientifique et valorisation des résultats de la recherche fondamentale en sciences exactes et sciences humaines par Karine Gadré, Docteur en Astronomie de l'Université de Toulouse, Créatrice et Dirigeante de l'entreprise Culture Diff'

I also highly recommend this book. It gives the nitty-gritty about a lot of things with the calendar that can help you with a broader understanding of how it works. It's a bit pedantic, but not as dry as Victorian literature:

my etsy store
          My blog

to descend."

Comment

I know you haven't visited in forever, but when you do I think it should be noted that you list dates for the Julian calendar and note it as the modern calendar. The modern calendar in the Western world is the Gregorian calendar.
            my etsy store
            My blog

to descend."

Comment

Working...
            X