Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just had two Christian missionaries try to convert me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just had two Christian missionaries try to convert me.

At the OP - jcaternolo, you were fine. If I had been in your place, I'd have squawked and freaked out when they started hugging me, then gotten pissed off when they started preaching.

I don't find the JWs that annoying, honestly. I sat between two for two years in school, and aside from the semi-often attempts to convert me, they were really sweet. We had a couple of the same interests, and did a small group piece in the Spring concert one year. Frankly, the only time I've been seriously annoyed by someone trying to convert me is when a friend of mine's mom, a minister, decided that 'rebellion walked with me' and chased me acrposs the neighbourhood in her car, shouting out the window as I ran back into my house that she couldn't have me influencing her daughter because I read Harry Potter books and my parents played Dungeons and Dragons. I was Lutheran at the time. An apparently poor one, if the DCE was to be believed, but still pretty devout. Didn't see my friend for another six years. Not even going to go into the sermon I got when said friend told her mom about my beliefs.

But in all honesty, generally the people that go around trying to give everyone the word of God are really nice. It's pretty sad that when you go to lean on the doorframe, they wince and brace themselves for it to get slammed in their face. (Is that just my area? Or a general thing? *ponders*) Admittedly, they get pushy, but I've found that being polite, taking whatever doofy pamphlet you already have ten of they give you, and saying good bye works. They might come back, but in my experience, they don't very often.

Although, that door jiggling thing? Very creepy. They actually do that?!

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
      Also, I feel that if I'm afraid to defend my beliefs, then I'll never get anywhere spiritually.
      Here's an interesting in-house article on Pagan Apologetics. It defines the term 'apologetics,' when a need might arise to define/defend your faith, and then leads you through some common basic questions people may ask about religion and how to answer them. You might benefit a lot from the section 'quick and easy strategies' towards the end.

http://www.paganforum.com/content.ph...es-on-Paganism

Comment

We used to have JW's knock on our door all the time. The last time they came asking if I knew anyone who spoke Thai because they had a guy who had just arrived from Thailand with them so I told them what I knew and told them who to go to for Swedish and Finnish lessons too, then they started to talk about being a JW.

Then they asked me what religion I follow so I told them I was Pagan and said that I used to go to church etc but when I asked the church questions like "why do we come to a man made building to worship a person we have no proof exists and we read from a book that is quite modern compared to other religions?" and I also asked that" if God created everything then why are dinosaurs not mentioned in the bible?" I just got stonewalled baring in mind I was about 9 at the time.

I told them I was happy on the path I am travelling on but if I wanted to convert then I would find my own religion by myself and in my own time. They were polite and seemed to respect that we said our goodbyes and I have not seen them since.

I have been getting some funny looks from the other people in the village though so I don't know if my name has been "black listed" by them or not but who cares, if they have a problem with my choice of religion then it is exactly that, THEIR PROBLEM
        http://theheathenstudyclub.proboards.com/

Comment

I've only had one experience with would-be converters. It was a group of Jehovah's Witnesses that were going door to door, and they were very nice. I just made a little small talk with them, thanked them for the booklet they gave me, and that was that. The oldest lady did ask me if I believed in God, and I told her that I was secure in my faith.

I wasn't about to tell them I was Pagan. No need to start a frivolous argument.

Comment

I've had a lot of varied experiences with proselytizers. I get them at various work sites (I used to nanny, now I work at a group home) because people assume that it's just a house. Most are perfectly understanding when I explain that I'm actually at work and can't talk, but I always take the literature since the keeping or tossing of it is really up to my boss.

I've had some wonderful theological discussions with JWs and don't mind talking to them if I have the time to do so. My mom on the other hand couldn't STAND them. One time sticks out in my mind. I was 13 and stayed home from school on account of being sick. Mom was in the back of the house, doing her hair, getting ready to head to work (she only had an afternoon class to teach that day). When the door bell rang I--in my pyjamas--got up to get it, since mom had a curling iron in her hair. When I opened it there were two elder old ladies in dresses, smiling at me. One asked if my mom or dad was home and if they could talk to them? So, being a typical teenager I yelled back at mom that there was someone wanting to talk to her.

After a moment mom came out--all 5'3" 100lbs, her hair only half curled--to see who it was. She took one look at the Watch Tower they were holding and said a brinks "Not thank you, we aren't interested, have a good day." She then walked back to finish her hair. I was about to shut the door when one of the ladies turned to me, "Well could we talk to you, dear?" They weren't speaking very loud or anything. Before I do more than blink my mom's voice THUNDERS out from the back of the house: "NO YOU MAY NOT TALK TO MY DAUGHTER! GOODBYE!!!!!" And at that point I waved goodbye and shut the door.

Some years later I was at my dad's place. He was busy doing something but expecting a package, so when the doorbell rang I answered it. There was an elderly Mormon gentleman and a small boy, maybe sever years old. Both were wearing impeccable grey suits, but the child was clearly NOT wanting to be there. Now let me explain something, I'm fine with people doing what they do as part of their faith. I'm NOT fine with forcing kids to participate. It pissed me off no end that this guy had the GALL to drag that poor little boy along with him. So I didn't even listen to him. Instead I went to one knee and smiled brightly at the boy. He was startled that I was speaking to him. "In my religion, children can see fairies. Can you see fairies?" Oh his eyes lit right up at that one. Then the guy grabbed the kid and booked it out of there as fast as he could. Apparently dad hasn't been visited by the Mormon's since.

Then there was something I saw downtown. One day I'm doing window shopping and glance across the street at the theatre. Not far from the entrance was a woman in a demure, floral dress handing out tracts. She wasn't accosting anyone, or blocking anyone's way. She would just hold out a tract for someone to take if they so deserted. Well, one woman grabbed the offered tract, balled it up, threw it at the woman, and then spat in her direction. I was horrified (and if there hadn't been four lanes of traffic to cross I would have gone over to the to shout at the jerk) at the behaviour. Yes some proselytizers are annoying, upsetting and possibly even dangerous. But this woman was none of that and didn't deserve to be treated that way.

At the end of the day, I don't see it as being about religion. I see it as being about behaviour. A jerk is a jerk is a jerk no matter what faith (or lack thereof) they profess.
            "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

playboy and hustler centerfolds work too.Had two young ladies that kept coming until I was at the dump one day and found a bunch of the magazines there.Took and taped the centerfolds to the wall opposite the door the day they came around and when they came asked them in.They turned around and left without saying a single word and have never came back lol
              silly old man

Comment

My brother had some jehova's witnesses come to his place once, he rolled some sage in some tin foil, went to the door, handed it to them and told them they owed him $20! hahaha! They ended up calling the police because they thought he'd tried to deal them drugs! They normally get calls about them getting assaulted but never for a 'drug deal'! They didn't return...

I'd suggest you try it! even if it is for the LOL-factor!

For me, I actually studied theology many moons ago, and I'm also a science freak, so I tend to add that to my armory!

Also have you ever thought of burnt toast? My flatmates and I used to have a problem with mormons, literally like five visits a week! It was ridiculous! We stuck burnt toast to the front door, and labelled it "mormon repellent, all mormons locked in a closet", (don't ask me why) it must have worked because we didn't see them for the rest of the year!

Comment

The last time I had someone attempt to convert me, they started off the conversation with "hey, nice cross".

Uh, I wasn't wearing a cross, I was wearing my pentacle. So I went along with it and was like "uh what". He said "that's supposed to be a cross", and I told him "actually, its supposed to be a religious symbol of my faith, not yours".
                  So he went on to say "oh, well I used to be that before". So I asked him "that- as in what exactly?" And he was like "oh well, you know, that satanist stuff", and I want on to say "look, first of all, I am not satanic, and even if I was, you wouldn't know exactly what I believe because while you are busy trying to convert me, you have no interest in learning what other faiths are about. I'm actually Pagan, and despite what you think, I don't worship any devils. So I'd appreciate it if you shove off and stop attempting to corrupt my inalienable right to religious freedom."
                  And he said "oh well, God bless you, and have a nice day", and that was that.

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiEJ View Post
                    My brother had some jehova's witnesses come to his place once, he rolled some sage in some tin foil, went to the door, handed it to them and told them they owed him $20! hahaha! They ended up calling the police because they thought he'd tried to deal them drugs! They normally get calls about them getting assaulted but never for a 'drug deal'! They didn't return...

I'd suggest you try it! even if it is for the LOL-factor!

For me, I actually studied theology many moons ago, and I'm also a science freak, so I tend to add that to my armory!

Also have you ever thought of burnt toast? My flatmates and I used to have a problem with mormons, literally like five visits a week! It was ridiculous! We stuck burnt toast to the front door, and labelled it "mormon repellent, all mormons locked in a closet", (don't ask me why) it must have worked because we didn't see them for the rest of the year!
                    LOL the first one actually sounds like a perfect idea, but I'd be way too timid to try it. As for the toast... what the heck???

Comment

I've got a friend who received a letter from his local JWs some years ago asking him to "please stop converting [their] members to atheism". Keep in mind that my friend is an anarchist/physicist/computer scientist with an IQ upwards of 180, a library consisting of thousands of books - most of which he has read - and a remarkable talent for snark. He would invite them in and chat with them for hours, continually poking holes in their theology, until they either decided to leave or ask him where they could get some literature on atheism and/or science. xD

Personally, my planned reaction to the "Have you found Jesus" script is "Why yes, in fact, he's tied up in my boudoir as we speak. Would you like to join us? I was just about to grab the whips. "

Comment

Working...
                      X