X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rhaethe View Post

Agreed.

I've recently shifted back into a more meatless diet (not entirely, but almost), and one of my go-to proteins is eggs. I am of the opinion that an unfertilized egg is not meat. Greek yogurt is another good one, and cottage cheese. For iron, its potatoes, dark chocolate, eggs (again) and leafy greens.
    An unfertilised egg is a period. Its fine to eat. Not huge in protein, but better than nothing. I've been eating a lot more tofu lately (highest percentage of protein per 100g) and some meat alternatives, such as 'Quorn'. I've also invested in a protein powder, because I was weight training and vegetarian protein hardly compares to meat.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Re: Vegetarian Recipe Ideas

Originally posted by Heka View Post
      While this is true, I just wanted to post the caution that just taking the meat out of something does not make it a vegetarian 'meal'. Vegetarians need to be extremely careful to incorporate enough protein and iron sources in their diet. While a meatless casserole is vegetarian 'food', without replacement protein somewhere it is not a 'meal'.
      Thirded.

I was a vegetarian for 8 years before I joined the Navy...I made it through boot camp and 2 months into my first deployment. Not eating meat is absolutely not the same as eating vegetarian on a nutrient and health basis.
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

Thirded.

I was a vegetarian for 8 years before I joined the Navy...I made it through boot camp and 2 months into my first deployment. Not eating meat is absolutely not the same as eating vegetarian on a nutrient and health basis.
        How logn ago was that Thal? I can imagine it was difficult to be vego in the navy (my dads an ex navy chef!) But surely its gotten better? Like even supermarkets and restaurants have gotten better? Why have you not returned to being a vego?

RIP

You cut your hair short
        Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

I've seriously considered becoming vegetarian but my husband is the carnivore type. He's says he'll eat almost anything but off the top of my head he won't eat broccoli, cucumber, squash, eggplant, or artichoke and it's too hard not coming for two.
          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
            How logn ago was that Thal? I can imagine it was difficult to be vego in the navy (my dads an ex navy chef!) But surely its gotten better? Like even supermarkets and restaurants have gotten better? Why have you not returned to being a vego?

About 10 year ago...if you are an officer or chief, on a larger ship its doable--they have their own stores. But for them to cook one dish for two or three people for the general enlisted crew? Not gonna happen. Sure, I could eat salad every day (on a smaller ship, which gets stores more often because it has to fuel more often), but that's no good either in the long run...and on a bigger ship, where you get stores less often (since it hold more cargo), the fresh veg is gone after about 2 weeks, leaving you with cottage cheese and canned fruit and rice.

I'm not a vegetarian anymore because I'm not fundamentally against eating meat...I never was a vegetarian for that reason anyhow. I was a vegetarian because I had/have issues with most industrial scale agriculture, including raising meat (and eggs). I have issues with land and water use for raising livestock.

But that can be "fixed" with conscious shopping. I get sausage, chicken, and eggs from a small sustainable family farm at the farmer's market, and seafood from the locally fished seafood guy at the farmer's market...heck, I even get cheese from the goat lady and the mozarella guy at the farmer's market. When friends hunt, we get deer sausage. We go crabbing... And we really don't eat much meat...maybe 2-3 meals a week.

IMO, most "vegetarian foods" that you can buy (fake burgers and the like) are just as bad as non-veg processed foods. We just try to eat as non-processed as possible. Though we have a few exceptions--the kids love ramen noodles and canned ravioli and perogies (I love perogies too), and Scott likes hot dogs (blegh). And...yeah, I'm not cooking 4 separate meals for 4 people!
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post

About 10 year ago...if you are an officer or chief, on a larger ship its doable--they have their own stores. But for them to cook one dish for two or three people for the general enlisted crew? Not gonna happen. Sure, I could eat salad every day (on a smaller ship, which gets stores more often because it has to fuel more often), but that's no good either in the long run...and on a bigger ship, where you get stores less often (since it hold more cargo), the fresh veg is gone after about 2 weeks, leaving you with cottage cheese and canned fruit and rice.

I'm not a vegetarian anymore because I'm not fundamentally against eating meat...I never was a vegetarian for that reason anyhow. I was a vegetarian because I had/have issues with most industrial scale agriculture, including raising meat (and eggs). I have issues with land and water use for raising livestock.

But that can be "fixed" with conscious shopping. I get sausage, chicken, and eggs from a small sustainable family farm at the farmer's market, and seafood from the locally fished seafood guy at the farmer's market...heck, I even get cheese from the goat lady and the mozarella guy at the farmer's market. When friends hunt, we get deer sausage. We go crabbing... And we really don't eat much meat...maybe 2-3 meals a week.

IMO, most "vegetarian foods" that you can buy (fake burgers and the like) are just as bad as non-veg processed foods. We just try to eat as non-processed as possible. Though we have a few exceptions--the kids love ramen noodles and canned ravioli and perogies (I love perogies too), and Scott likes hot dogs (blegh). And...yeah, I'm not cooking 4 separate meals for 4 people!
              That sounds like me. Im glad you can be ethical and use local produce and still get your meaty goodness. For now I'm happy being vegetarian. I don't really have your options. I don't know if I will ever eat meat again, but if I can get a situation like yours I may.

RIP

You cut your hair short
              Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Comment

Last edited by Jembru; 09 Aug 2016, 14:41.
                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

The chick peas sound good...
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Speaking of veggies eh....
                    So I'm wanting to branch out of my comfort area. I'm trying to try something new each week with my new meal plan. So this soy stuff. I've been looking at soy for beginner recipes. But anyone want to share any quick soy ideas I might try? I'm really iffy on the texture. But the thought of smothering it in sauce sounds 'ok' to me. Maybe a soy snack to get me started.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Some Chinese cooking uses a lot of soy cakes..seems frying it in a wok gives it a nice texture. Only had it prepared in a restaurant,so not sure how one really cooks it like that.
                      My experience was from an ALL vegi restaurant in SF that was run by Buddhist monks. Must say they do vegi right...

- - - Updated - - -

Ok,found a Buddhist vegi cooking site.

Site here.
                      Last edited by anunitu; 09 Aug 2016, 20:20.
                      MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                      NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                      don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                      http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                        Speaking of veggies eh....
                        So I'm wanting to branch out of my comfort area. I'm trying to try something new each week with my new meal plan. So this soy stuff. I've been looking at soy for beginner recipes. But anyone want to share any quick soy ideas I might try? I'm really iffy on the texture. But the thought of smothering it in sauce sounds 'ok' to me. Maybe a soy snack to get me started.

Are you using the chunks that you soak in water, or something else? I eat a lot of soy products but I don't really do anything exciting with it because I'm a lazy cook. I cut the chunks into smaller bits and add them to noodles, I chop tofu into miso soup or if I can afford the 'atsuage ' (the stuff that's fried so that it has a golden coating) or 'aburaage' (thinner version that you can use like an envelope and stuff like a sandwich -and yet the Atkins world hasn't picked up on yet!) I just eat it as a snack. I eat edamame as a snack too, or if I have the shelled beans I add them to salads. I eat natto straight from the carton (even my Japanese friends raise their eyebrows at this height of laziness and lack of creativity).

My favourite snack when I lived in Japan was kind of crisps (chips) made from soy and peas. They're now available in the uk so I'm really thrilled. They're called 'snapea' and are high in protein which is rare for that kind of snack and only 96 cals a bag. Definitely worth grabbing if you can find them in the US (if you have an oriental supermarket you'll almost certainly be able to find them, but in much bigger bags).

I guess what I'm saying is that I snack a lot more than I make proper meals...

That was a lot of brackets I'm a single post.
                        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Lol. I've never bought any. That's why I'm asking. I don't think I want the silken stuff. I'm thinking I could eat the stiff stuff. Maybe in a broth. That might be good. Something spicy to cover the bland taste.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                            Lol. I've never bought any. That's why I'm asking. I don't think I want the silken stuff. I'm thinking I could eat the stiff stuff. Maybe in a broth. That might be good. Something spicy to cover the bland taste.
                            Then I definitely advise you to try the fried tofu first. I know you're watching your diet but it's not THAT bad, especially if you press it with a paper towel first to remove any excess oil. Some health food stores keep lovely flavoured varieties with herbs and spices. They're not the cheapest, but they're really tastey!

The soy chunks I mentioned are to be approached with caution. They smell and taste like pet food (don't ask how I know this). When used creatively they can work well (it's actually what is used in pot noodles to provide the 'chicken' bits), but if you're new to soy it could put you off for life!

Comment

Working...
                            X