Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vegetarian Recipe Ideas

May 2014
    Religion
    Druid/ Pagan of some sort

Re: Vegetarian Recipe Ideas

Corn Bread Sticks
    You can find a cast-iron mold shaped like little ears of corn in kitchen supply shops. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.1 cup flour
    1/2 cup corn meal
    1/4 cup of sugar
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/4 cup shortening

Sift dry ingredients together, add eggs, milk, and shortening, and beat until smooth. Pour into molds and bake for 20-25 minutes

Vegetarian curries are awesome - any of the veggies you'd normally stew will work, but some great ones are:
    Sweet potato (kumara), chickpeas, lentils, mushrooms, carrots, eggplant, spinach/Asian greens, chopped, pumpkin.
    Coconut cream or milk will make it creamy without dairy.
    I usually use a curry base, and add additional herbs and spices - basil, coriander, star anise, turmeric and cumin. Stew for as long as you like, and serve on brown rice!
    Good for clearing out the veggie drawer in the fridge, just about anything goes in.
    Raw cucumber and sour greek yogurt is a nice side, particularly if you make it spicy.

Nov 2012
    Religion
    Pantheism

"Laurel's Kitchen" is a sort of classic intro to vegetarianism cook book. Simple tasty recipes and some nutrition info too.

Being vegetarian is a lot easier than most people realize. Any kind of stew, curry or casserole can be made vegetarian with no problem.

Plus there are a zillion tasty veggie things on their own.

We had awesome lentil burgers (made from scratch) for the 4th of july.

Beans and grain may make you gassy at first (keep beano and gas x on hand) but your body should get used to them after eating them for awhile.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Northern Tradition Neo-Paganism
    Phrase
    I drink, and I know things
    Quote Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
    Being vegetarian is a lot easier than most people realize. Any kind of stew, curry or casserole can be made vegetarian with no problem.
    While this is true, I just wanted to post the caution that just taking the meat out of something does not make it a vegetarian 'meal'. Vegetarians need to be extremely careful to incorporate enough protein and iron sources in their diet. While a meatless casserole is vegetarian 'food', without replacement protein somewhere it is not a 'meal'.
    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
    Seen the desert and the birds
    You cut your hair short
    Like a shush to an insult
    The world had been yelling
    Since the day you were born
    Revolting with anger
    While it smiled like it was cute
    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

May 2014
    Religion
    Polytheist

Quote Originally Posted by Heka View Post
    While this is true, I just wanted to post the caution that just taking the meat out of something does not make it a vegetarian 'meal'. Vegetarians need to be extremely careful to incorporate enough protein and iron sources in their diet. While a meatless casserole is vegetarian 'food', without replacement protein somewhere it is not a 'meal'.
    Agreed.

I've recently shifted back into a more meatless diet (not entirely, but almost), and one of my go-to proteins is eggs. I am of the opinion that an unfertilized egg is not meat. Greek yogurt is another good one, and cottage cheese. For iron, its potatoes, dark chocolate, eggs (again) and leafy greens.

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaethe View Post

Agreed.

I've recently shifted back into a more meatless diet (not entirely, but almost), and one of my go-to proteins is eggs. I am of the opinion that an unfertilized egg is not meat. Greek yogurt is another good one, and cottage cheese. For iron, its potatoes, dark chocolate, eggs (again) and leafy greens.
    An unfertilised egg is a period. Its fine to eat. Not huge in protein, but better than nothing. I've been eating a lot more tofu lately (highest percentage of protein per 100g) and some meat alternatives, such as 'Quorn'. I've also invested in a protein powder, because I was weight training and vegetarian protein hardly compares to meat.

RIP

You cut your hair short
    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

Thirded.

I was a vegetarian for 8 years before I joined the Navy...I made it through boot camp and 2 months into my first deployment. Not eating meat is absolutely not the same as eating vegetarian on a nutrient and health basis.
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible

Jun 2013
    Religion
    Phrase
    Quote Originally Posted by thalassa View Post

Thirded.

I was a vegetarian for 8 years before I joined the Navy...I made it through boot camp and 2 months into my first deployment. Not eating meat is absolutely not the same as eating vegetarian on a nutrient and health basis.
    How logn ago was that Thal? I can imagine it was difficult to be vego in the navy (my dads an ex navy chef!) But surely its gotten better? Like even supermarkets and restaurants have gotten better? Why have you not returned to being a vego?

RIP

You cut your hair short
    Revolting with anger

- J. Wylder

Oct 2010
    Religion
    Eclectic Witch
    Phrase
    Move forward with purpose. -Sherillyn Kenyon

I've seriously considered becoming vegetarian but my husband is the carnivore type. He's says he'll eat almost anything but off the top of my head he won't eat broccoli, cucumber, squash, eggplant, or artichoke and it's too hard not coming for two.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Oct 2005
    Religion
    relational theophysis and bioregional witchery
    Phrase
    *a little bad taste is like a nice dash of paprika*

How logn ago was that Thal? I can imagine it was difficult to be vego in the navy (my dads an ex navy chef!) But surely its gotten better? Like even supermarkets and restaurants have gotten better? Why have you not returned to being a vego?

About 10 year ago...if you are an officer or chief, on a larger ship its doable--they have their own stores. But for them to cook one dish for two or three people for the general enlisted crew? Not gonna happen. Sure, I could eat salad every day (on a smaller ship, which gets stores more often because it has to fuel more often), but that's no good either in the long run...and on a bigger ship, where you get stores less often (since it hold more cargo), the fresh veg is gone after about 2 weeks, leaving you with cottage cheese and canned fruit and rice.

I'm not a vegetarian anymore because I'm not fundamentally against eating meat...I never was a vegetarian for that reason anyhow. I was a vegetarian because I had/have issues with most industrial scale agriculture, including raising meat (and eggs). I have issues with land and water use for raising livestock.

But that can be "fixed" with conscious shopping. I get sausage, chicken, and eggs from a small sustainable family farm at the farmer's market, and seafood from the locally fished seafood guy at the farmer's market...heck, I even get cheese from the goat lady and the mozarella guy at the farmer's market. When friends hunt, we get deer sausage. We go crabbing... And we really don't eat much meat...maybe 2-3 meals a week.

IMO, most "vegetarian foods" that you can buy (fake burgers and the like) are just as bad as non-veg processed foods. We just try to eat as non-processed as possible. Though we have a few exceptions--the kids love ramen noodles and canned ravioli and perogies (I love perogies too), and Scott likes hot dogs (blegh). And...yeah, I'm not cooking 4 separate meals for 4 people!
    “You have never answered but you did not need to. If I stand at the ocean I can hear you with your thousand voices. Sometimes you shout, hilarious laughter that taunts all questions. Other nights you are silent as death, a mirror in which the stars show themselves. Then I think you want to tell me something, but you never do. Of course I know I have written letters to no-one. But what if I find a trident tomorrow?" ~~Letters to Poseidon, Cees Nooteboom

“We still carry this primal relationship to the Earth within our consciousness, even if we have long forgotten it. It is a primal recognition of the wonder, beauty, and divine nature of the Earth. It is a felt reverence for all that exists. Once we bring this foundational quality into our consciousness, we will be able to respond to our present man-made crisis from a place of balance, in which our actions will be grounded in an attitude of respect for all of life. This is the nature of real sustainability.”
    ~~Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee

"We are the offspring of history, and must establish our own paths in this most diverse and interesting of conceivable universes--one indifferent to our suffering, and therefore offering us maximal freedom to thrive, or to fail, in our own chosen way."
    ~~Stephen Jay Gould, Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of History

"Humans are not rational creatures. Now, logic and rationality are very helpful tools, but there’s also a place for embracing our subjectivity and thinking symbolically. Sometimes what our so-called higher thinking can’t or won’t see, our older, more primitive intuition will." John Beckett

Pagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible